Anime Rip-offs

Seshi

There comes a time where we look at a new anime, or movie, and think "I've seen this before" and that can leave you with a couple of different feelings. Thoughts like, this is boring, disappointing, or the moment you realize, this is just a rip-off. What are some anime titles that make you feel this way?

For me, recently it was Isekai Cheat Magician. Not only was I extremely unimpressed with its unoriginal title, but even the characters looked like rip-offs of Shield Hero.. Come on Shield Hero gang! Have a look.

1915030982_remix(1).jpg.d486bae2a3fdd30026d06fc24b8d8a34.jpg

• Silly 1

Isekai Cheat Magician: Published: 28th of June 2013 till ?

Rising of the Shield Hero Published: 22nd of August 2013 till ?

Isekai Cheat Magician (Original Material) came first so it's not really a rip off Is it?

Well as far as Isekai Cheat Magician goes, I was referring to the anime adaptation- which came after Shield hero. Not too sure about the source material, do the characters look the same in it? All I can speak for is the presentation of the anime. Also it’s not clear which series came first, they were both worked on as web novels published back in 2012, but not sure of a certain month. 

I’ve also heard that the Lion King is a rip-off of Kimba the White Lion T.T 

26 minutes ago, Seshi said:

Well as far as Isekai Cheat Magician goes, I was referring to the anime adaptation- which came after Shield hero. Not too sure about the source material, do the characters look the same in it? All I can speak for is the presentation of the anime. Also it’s not clear which series came first, they were both worked on as web novels published back in 2012, but not sure of a certain month. 

I’ve also heard that the Lion King is a rip-off of Kimba the White Lion T.T 

Yeah I know you were talking about the anime but if you're talking about a rip off the idea and the characters etc should be about the same in 2 series, and that comes from the source material.
Usually there aren't very big differences between an anime and a light novel apart from some cut content.
I haven't read nor seen Cheat Magician but the art style from the cover of the anime is just as generic as the light novel.

• Like 1

Well theres scryed, pretty much a rip off of jojo's bizarre adventure. Alters are basically stands, and ultimate being or ultimate alter looks a lot like star platinum.  

dual parallel trouble adventure is a rip off of neon genesis evangelion. Heard also iron fortress, is kind of a rip off of attack on titan. 

Im not sure who started the whole anime series of going into a video game world, but it might be DotHack or digimon, almost every anime after that like Sao copied that idea. 

Battle angel seems like they got a lot of ideas from ghost in the shell. 

Edited by Serge heartless
  • Like 1

On 8/28/2019 at 2:56 AM, Humbby said:

Yeah I know you were talking about the anime but if you're talking about a rip off the idea and the characters etc should be about the same in 2 series, and that comes from the source material.

But it has the word "Cheat" in it!! They're basically admitting it. 😄

Joking aside, I can't think of one from the top of my head.
By rip-off I guess you mean like a blatant copy or lazy imitation. Because sometimes coincidences happen.

Where two people come up with very similar ideas (unintentionally). There are so many people in the world, the odds of someone having the same idea as you is quite high.

I guess I always shrug it off a coincidence.

• Like 2

On 9/10/2019 at 6:08 PM, HakuUzumaki said:

Naruto is a rip-off of DBZ.

Naruto is a rip off of every shonen teen anime ever made, full of loud annoying characters, or emo characters that hate everyone, but the only reason they like them is cause they look good. Its kind of a good way of showing how shallow people are.

6 hours ago, Serge heartless said:

Naruto is a rip off of every shonen teen anime ever made, full of loud annoying characters, or emo characters that hate everyone, but the only reason they like them is cause they look good. Its kind of a good way of showing how shallow people are.

You mean the people in the show are shallow or those watching it (or both)? Generally I'd disagree though. While in the beginning of the series the children are quite shallow, that is quite a decent portrayal of how children in elementary are (from my own experience). But later in the show, I'd say they are anything but shallow, given the extent to which bonds and friendship is stressed.
As for people viewing, I disagree as well. Rarely have I seen a mainstream anime that ran so long that had such depth when it comes to the underlying ideas.

Edited by Illusion of Terra

8 hours ago, Illusion of Terra said:

You mean the people in the show are shallow or those watching it (or both)? Generally I'd disagree though. While in the beginning of the series the children are quite shallow, that is quite a decent portrayal of how children in elementary are (from my own experience). But later in the show, I'd say they are anything but shallow, given the extent to which bonds and friendship is stressed.
As for people viewing, I disagree as well. Rarely have I seen a mainstream anime that ran so long that had such depth when it comes to the underlying ideas.

There a few characters in Naruto that hate everyone, and characters are in love with them. Or fans like them only cause they look good. That is being shallow. These emo types of characters are really annoying. Then you have really annoying loud characters in the show. The show is pretty much the same as any other shonen. Fighting, then training, fighting and training. If I want to watch a anime about friendship without loud, or emo characters, I can watch something else. 

Naruto has the same formula as every other 80s-90s shonen anime, a main villain comes along, everyone has to train to defeat him, and repeat this process through the show. It didn't add anything new, and people think its great for some reason. Even though its been doing the same thing as every other shonen, and didn't really add anything. 

I don't think an anime can be ripped off exactly, it all comes down to originality and since anime has been going on for such a long time there really isn't a lot of that going around. That's not a bad thing though, if you look at all the animes to this date I'm sure of you go back in time you'll see another anime not exactly like it but pretty dam close.

14 minutes ago, King_Sama said:

I don't think an anime can be ripped off exactly, it all comes down to originality and since anime has been going on for such a long time there really isn't a lot of that going around. That's not a bad thing though, if you look at all the animes to this date I'm sure of you go back in time you'll see another anime not exactly like it but pretty dam close.

Agreed.. And I'd love to see some examples if anyone has any. Its always interesting to see what anime are like others.

5 minutes ago, King_Sama said:

You wouldn't say that after watching the animes I watched. They pretty much have the same idea from their counter parts. 

I know the members of CLAMP intentionally does this with the majority of their anime and manga. They actually admitted this a few times. 

Anyway, I can't name others off the top of my head but a lot of anime/manga now does this. I see this more with vampire/monster anime though.

But if you think about it 99% of not only anime/manga but also American films/TV shows/Books all copy from each other nowadays and some seem to be oddly alike.

• Like 1