The Case Files of Lord El-Melloi II

Shiroe

I wanted to make a thread about this anime a few months ago, but I guess I lost track of time. Oh well.

Lord El-Melloi II Sei no Jikenbo: Rail Zeppelin Grace Note

The Case Files of Lord El-Melloi II is a direct sequel to Fate/Zero. It takes place 10 years after the 4th Holy Grail War, starring Waver Velvet, now known as Lord El-Melloi II. The Fate series has an Urban Fantasy setting, but so far this anime has more of a Detective Mystery setting, taking place in England.

So far, I'm liking it. I like the majority of the characters from the Fate universe, but there's typically not enough material that covers the aftermath of some characters or instances of magic being used in everyday life. The Case Files of Lord El-Melloi II fixes this by focusing upon the emotional impact of Fate/Zero on Waver as well as exploring the potential of magic outside of the Holy Grail War, which is mostly just expositioned by characters in Fate/stay night.

If you haven't seen any Fate, the only thing that you'd want to watch before this anime is Fate/Zero. I've heard from some people that you could watch this anime without Fate/Zero, but the OVA kind of spoils some of the events of Fate/Zero. Then again, it's nearly impossible to avoid Fate spoilers in this day and age.

I don't know if anyone is watching this, but it'd be nice to hear someone else's thoughts. I finished Episode 0 yesterday, and it felt nice to know that there's still a future for my favorite characters and stories.

• Like 2

I watched episode 0 a couple weeks ago, but haven’t seen Fate Zero yet, so felt like I was missing some things. Will probably give it another try once I catch up.

• Like 1
  • Awesome (Sugoi) 1

3 hours ago, Ohiotaku said:

I watched episode 0 a couple weeks ago, but haven’t seen Fate Zero yet, so felt like I was missing some things. Will probably give it another try once I catch up.

Let me know how it goes! Fate/Zero seems to have a different tone than The Case Files so far, but I think they're both worth watching.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Rewatched episode 0 today before moving on to episode 1. You definitely need to watch Fate Zero first to really get into this series & personally thought episode 1 was a better starting point because it explains how it got to that point instead of just throwing you into things.

Oh, and Gray is a sweetheart 😊 spacer.png

• Like 1

I’m through episode 6. Have to admit I’m struggling somewhat with this series. Seems like every episode introduces some new concepts of a particular branch of magic that is key to that particular case. While I’m able to get enough out of the explanation to have at least a general idea of what was going on, I’m still left feeling I missed something. Some story elements as well

Gray’s connection to Saber/King Arthur & something about a Castle of Seperation?

It seems like we’re just now moving into the main arc, so maybe some of it will be explained.

I still intend to finish because I like some of the characters (particularly Gray & Reines), but so far can only rank it as a 6/10.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1

@Ohiotaku Midterms are finally over for me, so hopefully I can catch up with you sometime... soon. I definitely plan on watching the rest of Case Files, that's for sure.

Sorry you didn't like it as much as Fate/Zero! I knew it was going to be something different since I got a lighthearted feel to it compared to the always-serious Fate/Zero. I hope you still got something out of it, though.

This show has finished airing though, so we might have to take it down from the "Currently Airing Anime" section. Is there a way to do this on our own or do we need a mod?

@Seshi @The History Kid

Let's see who makes it here first.

• Like 1