What’s a common myth about anime? Can you debunk it?

Seshi

I think non anime fans have only seen a couple of animes, then don't like any anime based off a couple animes they saw. I think this is mostly cause they have only heard of mainstream animes like Naruto, DBZ, one piece, or SAO. Which I would agree with them if those were the only animes I watched, I would hate anime also.  Theres a lot of adult themed animes, and animes that adults could watch and like; like cowboy bebop, one punch man, jojo's bizarre adventure.  

Or like my sister who likes to watch animes that are for girls, like Lucky Star, melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, or fruits basket 

Recommending only main stream anime just seems like a bad idea for some people. 

Edited by Serge heartless
  • Like 2

Like what @Serge heartless said, "Anime is for kids" myth. Said by people who judge too quickly.

And as fans we all know there is anime for every age.

I guess a myth believed by fans, although debatable, is that subs are better than dubs.

Or that the Japanese voices are always better than English voices.

I don't know how you debunk that though. But I'm sure that there are anime where the dub is better than the sub. 

• Like 2

the only thing I don't understand is people who play video games and don't like anime, these people are kind of hypocrites. They think its too nerdy, but they are playing video games all day, playing online for hours at a time.  Its the same as those people who play fantasy football, they don't think they are nerds, but they are pretty much the same as the people who play D and D. 

Edited by Serge heartless
  • Like 1

The myth that all anime has gigantic eyes and is loud.

Tomie is a good example of just about representative facial features. Cowboy Bebop, too.

The Twelve Kingdoms was not loud and "obnoxious," but was more calm and based in drama as well as fantasy (I guess it's isekai technically?) Miyazaki films are also often not as loud.

Ah...now I'm sad the author never finished The Twelve Kingdoms :*( It was sooo good!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blue Dragon said:

The myth that all anime has gigantic eyes and is loud.

Tomie is a good example of just about representative facial features. Cowboy Bebop, too.

The Twelve Kingdoms was not loud and "obnoxious," but was more calm and based in drama as well as fantasy (I guess it's isekai technically?) Miyazaki films are also often not as loud.

Ah...now I'm sad the author never finished The Twelve Kingdoms :*( It was sooo good!

I could see why people think this, with all the over the top popular ones like Naruto, DBZ, Fairy Tale... etc.

• Like 2