What anime is lacking?

Illusion of Terra

Now, there have been quite a lot of anime over the years, with titles about very specific games (such as Chihayafuru) or far out ideas. But are there any topics or ideas left which you think still weren't made into anime but would be great if they were?

In other words, do you have an anime idea which is completely original and innovative?

I can only think of two things. I don't think there's an anime about chess. I know there is one about Shogi (which makes sense) but not about chess per se. Also, I don't think there really is an anime that goes into philosophical arguments like they do with science (as, at least somewhat, for example in Dr. Stone). Although there are plenty of anime that make reference to some philosophical arguments every once in a while, there isn't (as far as I know) an anime about say arguments for/against the existence of God or vegetarianism.

Interested to see, if someone has something they think should be an anime :) 

Edited by Illusion of Terra
  • Awesome (Sugoi) 2

I mean, is there any anime that has a pure focuse on insects? So kinda like how cells at work gives you a fairly good insight into human cells, but  the show instead would be focused around the insect world and it's happenstances?

Aka, a more factual summery into the insect world, utalising anime-esk characters from an insect point of veiw.

May already be a thing though ;-;

Edited by Xyro
  • Like 1

I'd like to see more "hard" science-fiction anime.  (And books, and movies, etc.)  Stuff about colonizing outer space, or about cybernetics, or medicine, or the singularity, or whatever where the show is actually based in real science as it is understood to behave in the real universe.  If you're doing space for instance then no FTL "warp" or "Epstein drives" other fantasy physics for instance, so it would have to be set around building a colony on Mars, or hauling icebergs between habitats orbiting dwarf planets in the outer system, or something along those lines.  I get excited when I see a science "fiction" vision in a book or an anime that might actually be made to happen in real life.  Stuff like Star Wars or Star Trek is fine too, but I consider that in the same category as GoT or LotR.. just entertaining fantasy.  I'd like to see more "SF" with an implicit, solid core of "why not?".

2 hours ago, Illusion of Terra said:

insect anime

For some reason this brought to mind Nausicaä.  :)  Thinking about it there was also Mushibugyou, Terra Formars, and Blue Gender.  None of it terribly factual unfortunately, except maybe for tiny bits of TF.

Thinking a bit more, I seem to recall  a couple of Ghibli shorts a while back.  One about a water spider and one about a caterpiller.  Both contained a lot of anthropomorphism but they might be more in the direction of what you're after.  Can't remember their names, but I'm (almost) 100% on the Ghibli involvement.  Shouldn't be hard to track down if that's the case.  FWIW...

Edited by efaardvark
  • Like 1

An anime about tech startups (Facebook, Uber and the like).

That's why I made a webtoon about it. Since there is no anime like that yet. Some come close though but not quite.

But I think this is the problem if anime is only made by the Japanese. It would be limited to what they find interesting. So certain anime genres would never be made.

While Chinese anime, or Korean anime and so on can tackle things that Japan is not interested in.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just found out that Pippi was almost done by Miyazaki/Ghibli!  I loved reading about Pippi when I was a kid.  I think it would have made good anime material, especially if it had been done by Miyazaki!  Too bad the project never happened.  :(  

Crazy enough there isn't anything animes haven't touched on that doesn't peak my interest. I think they've touched on everything they can but somehow as times goes along the ideas get spun in their own way that it seems original. Take My Hero Academy, a teenager has a strong power striving for the top and he's taught through out the years to control that power and use it for the right reasons. That is so familiar it's not even funny, LOL, but you guys see what I mean that plot has been spun around so much its annoying it just seems new because it was made in a different image.

Anyway, I think anime has touched on pretty much everything at this point and I'm cool with that.

There isn't much anime horror. im guessing its not as popular.   Im also guessing that anime companies like to use the same formula as other animes. If you make something completely different it might not make money, and the company loses money. That's why you see so many slice of life, romance, harem, giant robot, shonen, and sports every month. 

Would be cool if they made a anime like Air Gear, but use skate boards instead of roller blades. Then again the show failed and didn't make that much money, so it might never happen.  Unique animes hardly happen, like I said it could mostly cause people are scared of losing money, or not making as much as other popular animes. Though they do happen once in a while like, Trigun, cowboy bebop, samurai champloo, hellsing, FLCL, serial experiments lain, paranoia agent, and jojo's bizarre adventure, but those kind of animes hardly ever happen. 

22 hours ago, King_Sama said:

Crazy enough there isn't anything animes haven't touched on that doesn't peak my interest. I think they've touched on everything they can but somehow as times goes along the ideas get spun in their own way that it seems original. Take My Hero Academy, a teenager has a strong power striving for the top and he's taught through out the years to control that power and use it for the right reasons. That is so familiar it's not even funny, LOL, but you guys see what I mean that plot has been spun around so much its annoying it just seems new because it was made in a different image.

Anyway, I think anime has touched on pretty much everything at this point and I'm cool with that.

The creator reads American comic books, and you can tell, a lot of the characters in the show have the same powers as a lot of the X-Men characters. Even has the same story as the X-Men, kids with powers learning to control their powers and train at a school. 

Edited by Serge heartless
  • Like 1