Sign in to follow this  
Seshi

Chit Chat - General Historical

General History chat thread. Come chat about a fun fact of the day, or anything that comes to mind really :)

Hey @The History Kid lookin good in here. 

Today let’s take a moment of silence for our fallen first responders, and brave men and women who, in their efforts to save lives, lost their own in the tragedy of 9/11.

DB2782EB-4410-427F-9420-378E77019D82.jpeg.222c1455340b6102f1f41bdb09eb362a.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks for this, @Seshi.

The day was instantaneously in the history books for sure.  It's a bit disheartening seeing the decline of remembrance posts on social media each year. 

It is, and sadly, I’m among them. Each year the memory grows fainter in my mind. For the first time in a while I haven’t had an event to attend today. 

I can recall what I was doing pretty well, I was old enough at least when it happened.  I know that the big thing for me is that I didn't even know what was going on until 2nd period of school - and that was after I even had it on the news and was told "something" was going on in 1st.  I think the reason I didn't take it seriously in 1st period is that the instructor was also in the drama club, and I couldn't quite make out if she was being serious or not.  Quickly got real after that though.

I was out of school “sick” that day, saw it on the news at my friends house. It made us mad, but there was nothing we could do, being kids.

I always can remember that it was a Tuesday (and it was) simply because I know I was working on a take-home spelling test.  6th grade was the last year of those.  So I woke up early to do that, mom was already at school teaching.  I had the TV on in the background and had the stereo playing Spyro Gyra's In Modern Times album.  Walked to school, it was right behind our house.  First period was weird.  Second period on - all we did was watch the news coverage.  I didn't have a clique in school, so I can't really use the term "we" - but I do know I was relatively quiet for most of the day - most students were.  A lot were confused at how the teachers and faculty were acting.

What I remember is the USAR element down the road from school activating sometime later, and the entire school dismissed early to wave the soldiers goodbye.  Thinking back that might have been 7th grade though - the year after.

Sign in to follow this  

Anime Forums

A unique community of fans from around the world, who gather to share their fandom and love of anime, manga, gaming, fanart and at the cornerstone of it all, Japanese culture!

Take a moment to join us today and you'll have access to our member clubs and events too. Come join in the fun and become a part of our community.
insta-1

twit