Hello, from me... to you!!!

AnalenaDiane

What's up AF community? I'm super excited to get to know all of you! I've got to warn you though, I'm only a few months into my anime/manga journey, and I still know very little about this kind of forum/community. If you guys could fill me in on any need-to-know-basics or any tips or show recommendations I would really appreciate it! Buhbye for now!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

Need to know or basics, hmm?  Lets see.  There's a guy named Barney that visits on weekends.  He gets angry if you wear red, snort, or eat mayonnaise.

...ummm...no not really actually.

Anyway, welcome aboard.  I don't think you'll have to worry about the newishness - haven't seen a newbie not make it yet.  I say that being a relative newbie myself.  But I digress, what kind of stuff are you wanting tips on forum/community wise?

Well... is there any lingo or certain abbreviations for things you guys use that I might come across that I should know about? Also, I've started with Sword Art Online and immediately fallen in love, but are there any other anime's in particular that you would recommend I start out with as a beginner?

Hi there! One thing about the forum which I found helpful was the "unread content" button at the top right (and also the mark site as read there) where you can see all the new posts. Otherwise, only your first couple of posts will get moderated (because there are quite a few spam accounts that just register to spam the forums).

As for shows, it really depends on what you enjoy. What's big currently is My Hero Academia, which is something many different people seem to enjoy. Otherwise, have a look at the shows in the 'Currently Airing Anime' section of the forum.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forums, glad you found your way here 😁

As far as recommendations

Shonen: My Hero Academia, Demon Slayer (Kimetsu no Yaiba)

Fantasy: Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood

Slice of Life: Azumanga Daioh, Yuru Camp

Romcom: Recovery of an MMO Junkie, Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun

Psychological: Death Note

Coolness: Cowboy Bebop, Gurren Lagann

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AnalenaDiane said:

Well... is there any lingo or certain abbreviations for things you guys use that I might come across that I should know about? Also, I've started with Sword Art Online and immediately fallen in love, but are there any other anime's in particular that you would recommend I start out with as a beginner?

Sailormoon,clannad try those as well along with tales of the abyss

10 hours ago, AnalenaDiane said:

Well... is there any lingo or certain abbreviations for things you guys use that I might come across that I should know about?

MHA or BNHA = My Hero Academia

AoT = Attack on Titan

SAO = Sword Art Online

SoL = slice of life

CGDCT = cute girls doing cute things

Danmachi = Is it Wrong to Pick up Girls in a Dungeon

Not sure how familiar you are with anime terms (shonen, chibi, waifu, sempai,  ecchi, yandere, etc...) Anything you don’t understand, feel free to ask here or Google.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ohiotaku said:

MHA or BNHA = My Hero Academia

AoT = Attack on Titan

SAO = Sword Art Online

SoL = slice of life

CGDCT = cute girls doing cute things

Danmachi = Is it Wrong to Pick up Girls in a Dungeon

Not sure how familiar you are with anime terms (shonen, chibi, waifu, sempai,  ecchi, yandere, etc...) Anything you don’t understand, feel free to ask here or Google.

Thank you! I am completely unfamiliar with anime terms, but I will definitely look up the ones you just mentioned.

Shonen = targeting a younger male audience (usually action focused)

chibi = Cute caricature character design style (think bobble heads)

waifu = anime girl you wish you could marry (husbando is male equivalent)

sempai = in a school setting, someone in a higher grade. Outside if school setting, someone with seniority or more experience

ecchi = sexy (implied perverted but not as strong as hentai)

yandere = psycho girlfriend/boyfriend or stalker

4 hours ago, Ohiotaku said:

sempai = in a school setting, someone in a higher grade. Outside if school setting, someone with seniority or more experience

You'll also sometimes see "kouhai", which would be the situation in reverse.  If I'm your senpai (senior) then you're my kouhai (junior).  Misaki in Sakurasou is always calling Sorata "Kouhai-kun" for instance.

And since I mentioned it, names often have suffixes attached which give a clue to relationships.

-san  =  shows respect, kind of like using "mr" or "sir" in English.

-sama = shows great respect or reverence, like "your honor" or "lord/lady" in English.

-kun = respectful, but usually to juniors.  You'll often see this when some adult is speaking of/to children in older age groups such as high school or college.

That's pretty much it for "official" honorifics, at least in current usage, but there's also -chin, -chan, -tan, and -bou, which are kind of "baby speak" and usually used to refer to cute or very young people, or to people who are very familiar or close.

There's a lot of nuance in the above by the way.  It is often hard to sort out, especially for non-native speakers, but usually worth it because it gives you an idea of how characters relate to and think of each other without a lot of tedious expository dialog.  A girlfriend referred to as -chan by her boyfriend is different than a -san.  A person referring to his/her grandmother "ba-chan" shows a different regard than "oba-sama".  It can also be key to letting you know exactly when these relationships change, and why.  If someone suddenly starts referring to someone else as -sama instead of -san - or vice versa - for instance then that's a subtle but usually important change.  Also, dropping the honorific entirely usually shows familiarity and/or a more comfortable informality, which can be similarly informative to the anime listener/viewer.  (All this is one of the reasons I like listening to the Japanese audio when I'm watching anime btw, since it is something that translations and dubs often get wrong or ignore entirely.)

Edited by efaardvark
  • Informative 1

2 hours ago, efaardvark said:

You'll also sometimes see "kouhai", which would be the situation in reverse.  If I'm your senpai (senior) then you're my kouhai (junior).  Misaki in Sakurasou is always calling Sorata "Kouhai-kun" for instance.

And since I mentioned it, names often have suffixes attached which give a clue to relationships.

-san  =  shows respect, kind of like using "mr" or "sir" in English.

-sama = shows great respect or reverence, like "your honor" or "lord/lady" in English.

-kun = respectful, but usually to juniors.  You'll often see this when some adult is speaking of/to children in older age groups such as high school or college.

That's pretty much it for "official" honorifics, at least in current usage, but there's also -chin, -chan, -tan, and -bou, which are kind of "baby speak" and usually used to refer to cute or very young people, or to people who are very familiar or close.

There's a lot of nuance in the above by the way.  It is often hard to sort out, especially for non-native speakers, but usually worth it because it gives you an idea of how characters relate to and think of each other without a lot of tedious expository dialog.  A girlfriend referred to as -chan by her boyfriend is different than a -san.  A person referring to his/her grandmother "ba-chan" shows a different regard than "oba-sama".  It can also be key to letting you know exactly when these relationships change, and why.  If someone suddenly starts referring to someone else as -sama instead of -san - or vice versa - for instance then that's a subtle but usually important change.  Also, dropping the honorific entirely usually shows familiarity and/or a more comfortable informality, which can be similarly informative to the anime listener/viewer.  (All this is one of the reasons I like listening to the Japanese audio when I'm watching anime btw, since it is something that translations and dubs often get wrong or ignore entirely.)

That's definitely some of the info I was hoping for, thanks! By the way, how do I make my profile picture? All the images I've tried have been denied because they're too big, but I don't know how to make them smaller...

If you do a reverse image search through Google, sometimes it will list different sizes for the image and you can pick one with a smaller size. There also sites and programs that let you modify the size, but I don’t have much experience with them. 

• Like 1

667873828_welcome-narutosmall.jpg.314fe33aa5114fdb5099e9ca6753a67e.jpg

Welcome to the forum, seems like you’re getting to know some members already 😊

I wanted to suggest that you watch The Rising of the Shield Hero, since you seem to like the Isekai genre (summoned into another world). As others have suggested, Demon Slayer is another good one. Both of these are very new, with Demon Slayer airing right now, it will even be getting a dub this fall, and will get a block on Toonami. Shield hero is already dubbed, thankfully. Dubbed means it’s been translated to another language 😁English is what I’m referring to here. 

For help with your profile pic, I can take a look at the image for you and edit anything specifically - or you can try using this online resizing tool to choose the pixel size you need it to be.

• Like 1