Carole and Tuesday

Blue Dragon

maxresdefault.jpg

UWU! Last night I started Carole and Tuesday, not really sure what to expect. I'm a big fan of old school music, but listen to a very wide breadth of genres.

So I've been pleasantly surprised by the music in this show! I loved the Bebop soundtrack, but I don't think Yoko Kano is working on this one. I am also really loving the characters! And the comedy isn't over the top, but definitely makes me chuckle.

Anyone else watching this? It's on Netflix now, so if you stream it's available :3

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ohiotaku said:

I’m up through episode 7. Pretty enjoyable if you’re looking for a feel good series with some humor and satire mixed in.

Yea I really like the sound of that. It’s on my to do watch list anyway, I’m glad it’s free now! Thanks for the heads up on that @Blue Dragon

• Cool (Kakkoii) 1

So far it’s only the first cour (12 episodes) available on Netflix. That’s still surprisingly fast for them, since the second cour is currently airing in Japan. So hopefully they won’t make us wait long.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ohiotaku said:

So far it’s only the first cour (12 episodes) available on Netflix. That’s still surprisingly fast for them, since the second cour is currently airing in Japan. So hopefully they won’t make us wait long.

That's good to know! I didn't realize it was still airing! Wow!

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this but I wasn't sure if I would enjoy it or not so I didn't start it yet. I'm taking it that it's pretty good then? I might have to give it a try.

• Like 1

I'm enjoying it so far. I have a very eclectic taste in music, so I love seeing the episode titles. The songs are pretty good for animation, too. As much as I love Steven Universe, and I'm sure I'll get flack for this, I don't always enjoy most of the songs. Some are fun, but it's definitely aimed for kids, whereas this is probably for an older audience.

I'm on episode 10 right now. One thing my dudefriend said was that it reminded him of Megalobox, only for music. I could see the similarities, but...I think it's they're going to be different. And I'm enjoying them both :3

If you chill shows with lots of music, a bit of humor, and a lot of competition, you might like it :D

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Blue Dragon said:

One thing my dudefriend said was that it reminded him of Megalobox, only for music

The comparison for me is that both seemed to deal with the old school method of doing something versus the modern, technology enhanced method.

11 minutes ago, Blue Dragon said:

As much as I love Steven Universe, and I'm sure I'll get flack for this, I don't always enjoy most of the songs. Some are fun, but it's definitely aimed for kids, whereas this is probably for an older audience.

Agree that SU’s music is largely over rated.

On 9/28/2019 at 12:39 AM, Sakura said:

I saw this but I wasn't sure if I would enjoy it or not so I didn't start it yet. I'm taking it that it's pretty good then? I might have to give it a try.

I have it on hold for now, but what I’ve seen makes it an entertaining and positive series.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I really loved this show, I connected with the characters and their first song blew it out of the water. 

I think the competition was way too easy... Not that the competitors werent good.. But that it wasnt trying for the characters like similar contests in other genres. Still, I enjoyed it til the end of the forst cour. 

• Love it! (Daisuki) 1

I just caught up with season 1 the other night. I am super excited for Season 2! I'm also glad it isn't just one season, because as much as I enjoyed it, I think ending it here would be a little anti-climactic XD

Regarding the competitors...can I just say I loved the Mermaid Sisters (or whatever their name was) song! I thought it was hilarious (the lyrics) and sounded awesome. But...I like old music XD I agree most of the competitor's songs were just...okay. I think it's hard to write good songs for a future that doesn't exist, but I would have liked to see a bit more variety in the winners :/ To be honest, the old dudes were another personal favorite XD

Whoop whoop! December will be here before you know it!

• Funny 1

On 10/24/2019 at 2:31 PM, Blue Dragon said:

I like old music XD I agree most of the competitor's songs were just...okay. I think it's hard to write good songs for a future that doesn't exist, but I would have liked to see a bit more variety in the winners :/

You raise a very interesting point. That said (and this may be controversial BUT) I actually enjoyed some of the competitors' songs almost equal or more than Carole and Tuesday's--like crazy girl Cybelle 😆

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Rainbow Gear said:

You raise a very interesting point. That said (and this may be controversial BUT) I actually enjoyed some of the competitors' songs almost equal or more than Carole and Tuesday's--like crazy girl Cybelle 😆

Crazy girls song was my fav tbh. Too bad she had to be a stalker. I really liked the diversity she brought. 

Carole and Tuesday had to win it with the first song they wrote. So poetic. Its also just a great song.

• Like 1

Man, we're getting so close to the next season! I can't wait :3

Also, can you believe it's already November!? o_O

Edit: I think I'd actually like to get a copy of the sound track. I was able to find the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack years ago, and it was a staple on my play list for YEARS XD I like the care they put into the songs for a TV show :3 You can tell they really care about the quality and listenablility (that's not even a word XD)

Edited by Blue Dragon
  • Agree 1

• 2 months later...

Finished up the 2nd couer earlier today. Pretty predictable and it got kinda heavyhanded with it’s “message”, but I still found it enjoyable enough. And I liked a lot of the songs (especially the main duo’s).

• Like 1

Wow! I finished it up, too, and boy...I think it was pretty good :D I had the benefit of being at a panel where Watanabe talked about the show.

What I found interesting, is that while there is the message that seems to be so central, Watanabe himself said the most important part C&T was the music and producing music.

Having said that, he made these comments at the panel before the show aired, and having watched it...I dunno. He said the politics wasn't the main focus, but it did become very important to the end, I feel. It's interesting to say at the very least, how the creator may feel one way, but the viewers another XD I tend to agree that the politics was more in one's face than what he thought it would be.

But...holy crap! As a HUGE music fan, I just loved the little nods to old school music, and the producer being an *ss XD At least they didn't go with a Phil Specter copy for their producer XD Ooof...that'd have been bad...but I just loved the times they brought up The Beatles and their relationship with George Martin :3 I am a huge Beatles fan (uh..I mean HUGE) so I loved that they brought them up.

I wonder...maybe it's just me, but I feel the show was making commentary on how we're letting AI become more and more pervasive in our life.

No one ever came straight out and said it was bad...but *without giving spoilers* all the problems, from Ertegun to Angela, to Tuesday's Mother...every real problem stemmed from relying too much on AI. It's funny, because I think they did a good job of showing how important it was to society, such as with Desmond (I'm curious if he was inspired by Peter Gabriel? Not sure)--his life really depended on it--but also how many avoidable problems the AI (and tech in general) caused.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it XD I am HIGHLY skeptical of things like Alexa and even my phone. I mean, to me it's really creepy how I can have a conversation about something with the phone around, and then when I pull up the Internet on my phone, it's somehow giving me ads about what I was talking about o_O That...creeps me the f*ck out XD

I'm curious what other people think of this.

Edited by Blue Dragon
Took out unnecessary smiley. I use them too much!

1 hour ago, Blue Dragon said:

Maybe I'm reading too much into it XD I am HIGHLY skeptical of things like Alexa and even my phone. I mean, to me it's really creepy how I can have a conversation about something with the phone around, and then when I pull up the Internet on my phone, it's somehow giving me ads about what I was talking about o_O That...creeps me the f*ck out XD

I'm curious what other people think of this.

I’m not worried about the machines taking over or anything, but there are constant reminders that the people encouraging  our increased reliance on tech to do things for us are far from altruistic. As far as the argument that freedom from trivial & mundane tasks allows people to put their time and energy to better use, this seems far more likely

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_xToQ4cIHkk

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Friendly 1

XD I do need to see that movie. I keep trying to avoid spoilers. Luckily, most of the people I associate with haven't seen it, or don't care to discuss it.

I find it curious that people don't want to be tracked by a government (myself included,) but are more than willing to allow companies and businesses to track them--and even eagerly sign up for it (myself included, in some cases. I'm not saying I'm above any of this.) But...I guess I'm digressing from the show and the thread...

I do want to comment that I like how much time and thought they put into the music. I don't think I like it quite as well as the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack (I just love the Seatbelts and Yoko Kano,) but they were very well written! I could definitely see myself listening to some of these songs outside of the show :3 The interesting thing is that many of the musicians who wrote for the show agreed to work with Watanabe because they liked either Bebop or Samurai Champloo :3 I thought that was really cool!

2 hours ago, Blue Dragon said:

I find it curious that people don't want to be tracked by a government (myself included,) but are more than willing to allow companies and businesses to track them--and even eagerly sign up for it (myself included, in some cases. I'm not saying I'm above any of this.) But...I guess I'm digressing from the show and the thread...

Technology is a tool.  It can be used for good or evil.  I am for technology in general.  I just wish people would understand more about things like data collection and mining before jumping in at the deep end.  I'd be a lot more comfortable with all of it if the usage and ultimate effects were more transparent and there were more accountability for misuse and abuse.  Especially in the US, right now companies can collect pretty much any data they like, handle it however they like, and use it for anything they like.  Including sell it to the government for profit.  What few laws there are regarding collection and usage are not enforced.  It is about as bad as it can get, and the government itself outright lies or is in denial about all of it.* 

* not speaking from under a tin-foil hat... my data, along with millions of other people's, was "protected" in the government's "super secure" OPM database.  We told them it was a Really Bad Idea.  They didn't listen.  With predictable results.

• Like 1

^This. 100% agree. I hope I don't come off as being anti-tech. I very obviously enjoy and appreciate much of it. I just don't like tech being evasive...and I tend to trust companies even less than the gov. because they more or less tend to have the most lobbyists and loudest voices.

Kinda off topic, so I'm gonna spoiler this:

Spoiler

My fiancee used to work for Thompson Reuters, and then his branch of programing got sold off to some company called ReFinitiv (as in, he just left that job in 2018.)

One of the reasons he left (which he worked at for over 10 years,) is because Refinitiv tried to sneak pass some coding that would allow news articles to be strained from the news based on certain keywords. Specifically, the company's constituents in China wanted to screen out any news articles regarding the then upcoming anniversary of Tiananmen Square.

The only reason why the coding was tabled (not even scrapped, just tabled,) is because his boss was traveling abroad, leaving him in charge, and he refused to sign off on the updates (his boss wouldn't have approved either.) He was ticked, because Reuters is known for being non-bias, and it's not certain how much they knew about the coding (the companies are still entwined in some bizarre way: his paychecks and ins. was taken care of by Reuters, but he worked for ReFinitiv? I dunno, it's a clusterf*)  On one hand, while the coding was *at the time* supposed to be only implemented in China, it could easily be applied to our own Internet news sources. Lots of other people there are just as uncomfortable with the idea of screening the news...

Technology is a tool, and it's scary that there aren't as many watchdogs out there keeping an eye on companies...I guess the FTC did finally sue YouTube...but...even then they're passing the buck to creators, in spite of their policy of family friendly content :/ 

Le sigh...don't get me started on Homeland "Security."
(I hope this isn't too political. I'm not trying to get political😅)

In other news, apparently we've figured out how to make smaller particle accelerators, which is great since the old ones are so large they're like miles long. Smaller ones means easier access for researchers. I'm not sure the implications of all this, but one person mentioned (and I don't know if it's true,) that some of these could possibly be used to help combat cancer, as the smaller accelerator would make it easier to target specific cells. It supposedly fits on a small chip and was designed by a computer.

Or it could just be used to make black holes :D (I don't know if that's true or not either: I'm more into biology and ecology than physics.) 

This is still relevant to the thread! The computer was programmed to reverse engineer what the researchers/scientists wanted, and was able to design a chip that could be built. It basically created a design that people have been unable to create or come up with on their own (at least, in time since accelerators have been invented.) That...just boggles my mind.

It's crazy how fast technology is moving! It's like we're living in a time that parallels the Industrial Revolution, only it's a technological revolution. Tech is moving much faster than most of us (me) can even fathom o_O

• 4 weeks later...

So I totally binge watched the first season. Honest speaking the the music genre anime really lack for me sometimes. So I was a bit hesitant to watch but the clip I saw sounded beautiful so I thought I would give it a whirl. I was pleasantly surprised but the depth. This is more like what I want to see a mix of music and good plot.  I don't know if it was the sound quality of my t.v. but sometimes I found it hard to hear the lyrics of the songs being sang. Anyways it was refreshing to hear and follow their story. 

• Agree 1

I also am a bit weary of music/band animes. I liked Perfect Blue, but then...it was not really about the music as it was the psychological trauma the character suffered from.

I tend to like all (or most) the music from Watanabe animes. He's apparently a musician himself, and he said it was always a goal of his to eventually make an anime with music being the focus (for real, though Bebop and Champloo have some of the BEST music I've ever heard from an anime. Not novel: actually good music.) Since I'm a big fan of 60s/70s (and pretty much a wide breadth of genres) I was impressed with the allusions to musicians. I'm not a big fan of EVERY song he referenced, but I recognized them and it was fun to see something I was familiar with. I'm also  huge Beatles fan, so I loved how clueless the girls were when they referenced George Martin XD

*Music Nerd XD*

• Cool (Kakkoii) 1

• 3 weeks later...