Writers block :(

VampireKnight19

• 2 weeks later...

Can I ask, what's your cross-over story about?

I don't really have a problem with writer's block anymore, but when I did have it, it was usually because:

1. My real-world environment + routine was stressing me out, so I wasn't motivated to write. 

2. I didn't know what I wanted to do with my story. I would try discovery-writing, aka writing without a plot. In my opinion, it's all right for some chapters to serve as a "bridge" for the next major event in the story, but there should be something noteworthy happening in some capacity, such as a new character being introduced, or, in my case, my characters are falling in love, so I try to use cliffhanger chapters. 

3. It's important to also identify your characters motivations (what they WANT, what they NEED). These don't have to be genius-level. Your characters don't need to reinvent the wheel, they just have to have a reason for deciding to go from point A, to point B. 

Some context: My character Nika is a 20-year-old 'alien'. In her hometown, there are two, week-long festivals, like the Carnevale of Venice, Italy. These are held twice a year; one in spring, and one in fall. 'Traditionally', a girl would invite the boy she likes to accompany her to the festival, but Nika has never gone with a date before. If I made her follow her usual patterns, she'd never go to the festival, and that would be less-interesting (generally-speaking). So for example, in order for Nika to get from working in her Geranium garden, to playing festival games with her date, there needs to be a specific motivation that propels her out of her comfort zone. Maybe another girl wants to ask the boy Nika likes, and there's a race to see who can get to him first? Maybe there's something special about this boy that fills one of her desires (again, what she WANTS)?

Hope this helps a little. Just a couple things that helped me focus on why my stories weren't working for me, and how to fix them. 

• Like 2
  • Awesome (Sugoi) 1
  • Cool (Kakkoii) 1

I would not try to write when you have bad writers block. All its going to do in the end is frustrate you. You should however do a crap ton of reading. Reading others stories is one of the best way to derive inspiration for your own. Another really good thing to do is watch a series with a mindset of a it telling a story. That will put you in the story telling mood yourself. When watching focus on the the story unfolding in terms of its process rather then the plot itself. This will put you in the structural writing mood. Once your back in the mood then you can begain to work on your own plot for your story and the rest comes down to writing it. :) Hope this helps you out, and best of luck. 

• Like 1
  • Cool (Kakkoii) 1

Thanks for the advise guys. I have managed to start writing again. I do a lot of role play on Facebook. I am currently a character from the Teen Wolf series and I have a couple of muses. I currently have four role plays going and they are going great so far. :)

I like this thread. O.o

May I ask what age group you participate in? Are you all  adults? Or?

Been looking for something to participate in that isnt chatzy  xD

What kind of writing do you do?

-----Channy----same for you big wall of text xF

------Archiekun------couldn't agree  more. If you're in a slump dont force it. We all hit lows and we dont typically learn well from them. Take a break refresh your mind.  Come back to it later

I also think expectation is key here. If you know you're having a little-writers block- then write without your normal  expectation. Try to write as if someone else. Write everything you think of then try and imagine reading it as someone else- Helps me to imagine I'm in a video game or movie/something/  and someone is playing/watching me experience  it or I'm playing /watching the person experiencing it.

That slight disassociation helps me be more  objective with how I view my writing. 

downloadfile.jpg

• Friendly 1

1 hour ago, Faeding said:

I like this thread. O.o

May I ask what age group you participate in? Are you all  adults? Or?

Been looking for something to participate in that isnt chatzy  xD

What kind of writing do you do?

-----Channy----same for you big wall of text xF

Oh shucks, I thought I split it up pretty good! *sniff* I'm writing two novels right now, part 1 and part 2 (prequel) of the series I've imagined. There are supposed to be more parts, but I need to finish these first.  It's a science fiction-fantasy, romance-adventure story set on another planet in our solar system, conveniently undiscovered by NASA---or is it?! 

• Awesome (Sugoi) 1
  • Cool (Kakkoii) 1

• 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...