Watching anime in a theater

Ohayotaku

So, the past year or so I’ve noticed more anime movies (not just Ghibli) getting showings at nearby theaters. Granted, many were just a single showing on a weekday night, but was wondering if other members here had taken advantage and what they thought of the experience. 

For me, I saw the My Hero Academia movie & Promare and am planning to see the Konosuba movie in November. Sadly, I don’t really have any IRL friends who are into anime, but it’s still fun reacting along with everyone else to what’s happening on screen.  And while the theaters hadn’t been packed it’s still drawn a decent audience, again given the strange show times.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 2
  • Awesome (Sugoi) 1

I personally think that we are seeing this because anime has become far more mainstream in recent years. There are a lot more casual, or newer anime fans then there were a few years ago. So that is why its making more of a scene in the western box office.

Honestly the only anime I've ever saw at the theater here was Yu-Gi-Oh, which I did go see. Oh, and the Black Butler movie which I also went to see.

I haven't seen a single other anime airing here though that I can think of. 

If they did air I probably would go to see them if they were ones that I liked.

2 hours ago, Illusion of Terra said:

Am I the only one who thought you were talking about an actual theater? 😂 (not a movie theater)

If you go to Anime News Network and do a search for “stage play”, you’ll see this is actually a trend in Japan 🤣

• Silly 1

I wanted to go see Broly when it came out, but we rarely get to go to the movies at all. This was recent, too. I hope we see more anime titles here. I’d love to go see the Demon Slayer movie if it comes to theatres, no question.

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, Seshi said:

I’d love to go see the Demon Slayer movie if it comes to theatres, no question.

I was actually surprised that they decided to do the next arc as a movie instead of a second season (though much of episode 19 was movie quality to begin with). I fully expect it to get a US release because I was actually doubtful Konosuba would be popular enough make it locally for me (further than the others I’d seen, but still less than an hour drive. Plus airing on Toonami ought to help the chances.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

I don't go to theaters as a general rule as it is.  Overpriced as all hell.  I opt for watching at home.  The argument that going to an anime movie creates community might be valid, but frankly, you could get an even better community experience out of a properly run convention.

I think it’s also a fantastic way to support the filmmakers too.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Seshi said:

I think it’s also a fantastic way to support the filmmakers too.

I would certainly agree wuth you there plus its fun going to the movie theater from time to time.

1 hour ago, The History Kid said:

I can support the filmmakers by buying the BluRay.  More of that value goes to them anyway.

It can be fun with friends I know I have went to a few re-feature movies with friends that were anime productions not to many though. 

• Like 1

The only one I seen in theaters was the first Yu-Gi-Oh movie back when I was a kid. Other than that I haven't seen any in theaters because the few that aren't far from me never shows anime movies for some reason. 😕

• 2 years later...

Thinking about checking this out

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2022-05-20/fathom-events-to-screen-macross-frontier-anime-films-in-u.s-in-june/.184316

Would be my first taste of the Macross franchise outside the original series (which was the basis for Robotech’s first arc) & the Macross Plus OVA I saw on Syfy channel several years ago. Only downside is there’s only a single showing for both & it’s on weeknights (Thursday).

EDIT: Word of caution the synopsis for the films in the article contains potential spoilers.

Edited by Ohayotaku

I've never seen any anime film on the big screen in a cinema, but it must be amazing.  I haven't been to a cinema in decades, the last film I saw was The Return of the King*, of course having three of my local cinemas demolished doesn't help, those that remain are an unhandy distance the closest being tricky to get home from late at night.

*(The Lord of the Rings trilogy were good films, but don't get me started on the errors in them!).

When people go to watch anime in a theatre, there are a few different kinds of people.. 

1. The family who thought the cover looked cool, but had no idea what the movie was about, and decided to take their kids to see it
2. A friend group (or lone wolf) who are/is a weeb(s)
3. The parents who thought it was a new children's cartoon movie that had come out
4. Had a hangover the night before and decided just to watch anime to ease the pain
5. Basement dwellers leave the house for the first time.

This is a satire list, but all in all, I quite enjoy movie theatres, but I enjoy watching anime in the comfort of my home/room without any disruption from other people. 
Also - I think i'm number 5 on the list...😂

I was lucky enough to see all three My Hero Academia movies in theaters.

Mostly fun and good experiences but, for the second movie, there were fan girls squeeing the whole time. Now at first, I actually thought it was kind of fun, and it seemed as if they were only going to squee when their favorite characters came on screen for the first time, but, half way though the movie they are still squeeing. It was a little annoying at that point.

15 hours ago, Takatofan1986 said:

Mostly fun and good experiences but, for the second movie, there were fan girls squeeing the whole time

I generally don’t have a problem with MHA fangirls, excepts for those obsessed with shipping Deku & Bakugo 🙄

15 hours ago, Takatofan1986 said:

I was lucky enough to see all three My Hero Academia movies in theaters

I really enjoyed Heroes Rising, the others not so much.

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, Bulleje76 said:

dont bother if you ask me

I agree with that. If there's not people wanting to go past you during the film there's someone noisily eating something or a group making what they think are funny comments. If you're really 'fortunate' you'll have some bored pre-teen kicking the back of your seat and if you actually ask its parents to tell it to stop they get annoyed with you for having the audacity to complain about their little darling.