Fall 2019 Season - Anticipation & Early Impressions

Ohayotaku

With some new series beginning later this week, decided to make a catch-all topic people can use until it becomes clear which ones have enough interest to warrant their own topics for discussion. For me:

ANTICIPATING 

My Hero Academia season  4 (Saturdays beginning 10/12 - Crunchyroll/ Funimation) https://www.livechart.me/anime/3539 Season 3 seemed a bit inconsistent to me,  but ended strong so expecting great things.

Bokuben season 2 (Saturdays beginning 10/5 - Crunchyroll/Funimation) https://www.livechart.me/anime/9483 something of a guilty pleasure as it’s a silly high school harem series, but I liked the characters, thought it was funny & not as ecchi as some recent series examples.

7 Deadly Sins:Wrath of the Gods    https://www.livechart.me/anime/9410 High Score Girl 2 https://www.livechart.me/anime/9374  Both are Netflix licenses, so will have to wait until they decide to release

CONTINUING

Dr. Stone(Fridays-Crunchyroll/Funimation) 

https://www.livechart.me/anime/8349 Wasn’t a fan initially, but really enjoying the current arc

Fire Force (Fridays resuming 10/11 - Crunchyroll/Funimation) https://www.livechart.me/anime/8355 Has yet to live up to it’s potential and has experienced production delays. Haven’t given up on it yet, but needs to do something very soon or I’ll probably set it aside.

Vinland Saga (Sundays - Amazon Prime) https://www.livechart.me/anime/3169 interesting enough to stay with, but will probably binge instead of following weekly.

CURIOUS

Ascendance of a Bookworm (Wednesdays beginning 10/5 - Crunchyroll) 

https://www.livechart.me/anime/9258 Looks like a departure from the current isekai tropes. A bit apprehensive of the coed MC reincarnated as a loli in light of “If it’s for my Daughter ... “

The Hero is OP, but Overly Cautious (Wednesdays beginning 10/5 - Funimation) https://www.livechart.me/anime/8231 looks to be the more promising of the isekai parodies this season. Also looks like it will have a good deal of fanservice, but I’m fine with that as long as it’s funny on a somewhat consistent basis 🤣

No Guns Life (Thursdays beginning 10/10) https://www.livechart.me/anime/9361 Definitely intrigued by the look of this one, but not officially licensed yet

Blade of the Immortal (Thursdays beginning 10/10 - Amazon Prime)  https://myanimelist.net/anime/39806/Mugen_no_Juunin__Immortal?q=Blade of the immortal Haven’t really been a fan of grim ultra-violent anime, but enjoyed Dororo & Vinland Saga and the story’s reputation precedes it. Will probably binge.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1
  • Cool (Kakkoii) 1

There’s a new Isekai coming out, “The Cautious Hero”

I’ll be looking forward to that one, and it’ll probably get its own thread. We shall see 💕 but I’m highly anticipating it. Something about the plot reminds me of OPM, but also Shield Hero... So to say the least it caught my attention.

• Like 1

^ I just finished watching it.  Predictable in a lot of ways, but still pretty cool (7.5/10). A bit confused, CR lists it as season 1, but it was an hour & a half and listed elsewhere as a movie.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Illusion of Terra said:

It's a movie? I thought it was a series as well.

Netflix has done this sort of thing before (calling the Seven Deadly Sins OVA season 2 & chopping the Kabaneri movie up into 3 “episodes”, but don’t remember CR doing it before. It definitely ended on a to be continued note though, so maybe more will come later.

• Agree 1

Lots of comedy series this season

Funniest so far for me has been Outburst Dreamer Boys. About a girl who transfers into a new school & gets mixed up with a group of misfit guys (a sentai fanatic, a chuunibiyo &  a guy obsessed with  female game characters). Too bad it’s only on Hidive so probably won’t get much attention.

2nd funniest was Rise Up Animal Road (think Ace Ventura x Nacho Libre as an isekai). The humor is pretty dumb and even crosses the line a couple times, but made me laugh a lot in spite of myself.

Cautious Hero was pretty funny too. Played out pretty much how I expected it to. Based on the character designs for the females, figure the fan service will be an ongoing thing. Though he’s pretty ripped too 

Of course this is all based on the first ep, so will have to see which ones can remain funny to the end.

Edited by Ohiotaku

October 1 - 6 Evaluation

CONTINUING SERIES
Gegege no Kitaro
Dr. Stone
Fire Force (may put on hold)
Vinland Saga (putting on hold)

GOOD FIRST IMPRESSION
Outburst Dreamer Boys
Rise Up Animal Road (so bad it’s funny 😂)
Cautious Hero
Azur Lane
Bokuben season 2

3 EPISODE RULE
Ascendance of a Bookworm (disappointing start)
Special 7
HS Prodigies isekai
After School Dice Club
Welcome to Demon School Iruma-kun
Oresuki
Null & Peta

DROPPED
Val x Love
Africa Salaryman

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1

Lots of 2nd eps yesterday

Cautious Hero - didn’t seem as funny as last week, but still decent. Hopefully will add something new to the mix next week.

Rise Up Animal Road - Didn’t laugh as much as last week, but fewer “uncomfortable” moments so a fair trade off. Ironically seems to be advancing it’s “story” more quickly than Cautious Hero at this early stage :P

Ascendance of a Bookworm - an improvement over last week as the MC begins adapting to her new life in a comparatively “primitive” society. Uses a bit of her modern knowledge to make things at least a bit more convenient (she’s no Senku though 🤣). They really need to make up their mind about how to translate her name though. While I get while they may not want to use “Myne” after Shield Hero, that is clearly how the characters are pronouncing it. Also, should go without saying, but despite being isekai, the emphasis is on slice of life, not action or adventure.

After School Dice Club - a marked improvement over last week as they introduce a male classmate who is the childhood friend of one of the girls and has a crush on another. Leads to some romantic confusion as they play a game centered on predicting if your opponents are lying or telling the truth. Seems to be shaping up as a charming CGDCT series.

9 minutes ago, Muco said:

I laid my eyes upon Radiant 2nd Season, Ahiru no Sora, Fairy Gone 2nd Season & Special 7. Also can't wait for the third season of Psycho Pass that will be airing in 2 weeks.

I thought Special 7 was decent, giving it some more time before deciding (actually feeling more positive about it than Fire Force at the moment). May give Fairy Gone another try (would have to finish season 1). Psycho Pass has been on my PTW list for awhile.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Ohiotaku said:

I thought Special 7 was decent, giving it some more time before deciding. May give Fairy Gone another try (would have to finish season 1). Psycho Pass has been on my PTW list for awhile.

I feel like Special 7 will be good enough to watch, especially with the introduction of a new villain we could see in the end of the first episode. Don't really have much to add concerning Fairy Gone, plot-wise it's a joke but the idea of being possessed by animal like creatures possessed by fairies is something uncommon and unique that I wouldn't mind the bad plot. Most likely, I won't have the time to watch Granblue 2nd Season. Not necessarily an anime i've been looking forward to watch since the first season was merely good enough as a way of passing time when you got nothing else to watch. No clue about Assassin Pride so I will give it 3 episode. (anime cover didn't really impress me)

Edited by Muco
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Muco said:

No clue about Assassin Pride so I will give it 3 episode. (anime cover didn't really impress me)

Watched the first ep on my lunch break. Will admit it’s more interesting than I expected it to be, but not a fan of it’s reliance on the inner monologue to explain things. Or the un-subtle imagery they used to represent the bond between a loli and an adult male (think it’s safe to assume he’s at the very least in the 19-25 range).

My guess is that she still can’t produce her own manna, but he’s secretly sharing his with her.

So yeah, 3 ep rule.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Informative 1

Just watched the 1st ep of No Guns Life and it was pretty damm awesome. Manages to be cyberpunk while also channeling old pulp detective stories. Pretty sure I saw where people who worked on Black Lagoon & Ghost in the Shell are on the creative staff. Can also be rather humorous in spite of being pretty dark. Definitely one to watch.

Updated outlook 10-13-2019

LIKELY TO KEEP WATCHING
My Hero Academia season 4 (shonen)
No Guns Life (seinen)
Outburst Dreamer Boys (comedy)
Rise Up Animal Road (parody/comedy)
Gegege no Kitaro (supernatural)
Bokuben season 2 (romcom)
After School Dice Club (SoL/CGDCT)
Cautious Hero (parody/comedy)
Dr. Stone (shonen)
Fire Force (shonen)
Special 7 (seinen)
Ascendance of a Bookworm (SoL/CGDCT)
Jet Girls (fanservice)

LIKELY TO PUT ON HOLD OR DROP
Assassin’s Pride (fantasy)
Azur Lane (fanservice)
HS Prodigies isekai (fantasy)
Welcome to Demon School Iruma-kun (comedy)
Oresuki (romcom)
Rifle is Beautiful (SoL/CGDCT)
Average Abilities isekai (CGDCT)
Null & Peta (comedy)
Kabukichou Sherlock (satire/parody)

BINGE LATER 
Vinland Saga (seinen)
7 Deadly Sins (shonen)
Blade of the Immortal (seinen)

ALREADY DROPPED
Val x Love (ecchi/harem)
Z/X Code Reunion
Stand my Heroes (reverse harem)
Africa Salaryman (comedy)

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Awesome (Sugoi) 1

The increasing number of isekai parody series would seem to indicate the genre itself is becoming something of a joke. As far as Cautious Hero I consider it more like  Konosuba than anything (the goddess in particular reminds me of Aqua).

I’m enjoying the current arc of Dr. Stone (the Village Arc). Fire Force is somewhat disappointing. The fights are very well animated & choreographed, but the writing has been lacking. And the fanservice feels awkward and out of place.

Edited by Ohiotaku

@WedgyFrom about episode 2 on unfortunately.

12 hours ago, Musuko said:

You're really dedicated Ohiotaku 😊

I like exploring different genres. And a series has to be really awful for me to one-and-done it. Though there are a couple I doubt will even make it to the 3 episode rule.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Cool (Kakkoii) 1

2nd episode of the Average Abilities isekai was a marked improvement over the first despite largely staying in CGDCT mode. I had hoped we’d seen the last of the villainess though. It’s impossible to take her seriously, but she’s not funny either & and I’ve heard she’s an anime only character. Actually I’ve seen a number of people complain about the anime deviating from the source material. Three episode rule is in effect.

Edited by Ohiotaku

@Wedgy I find that I keep watching it myself hoping it will turn things around and realize it’s potential. To be fair, the 2nd cour hasn’t started yet due to some delays.

Update

LIKELY TO KEEP WATCHING
My Hero Academia season 4
Dr. Stone
No Guns Life
Rise Up Animal Road
Gegege no Kitaro
Bokuben season 2
After School Dice Club
Cautious Hero
Fire Force
Welcome to Demon School, Iruma-kun