Where do you watch your anime?

Sam_harris_43

Just trying to gather a few sources.

Where do you watch your shows?

I tend to use netflix and sometimes amazon (but they don't have too much) as the quality is great but I often have to use the odd "dodgy" website to watch S2,3 etc of things I have seen on netflix as they rarely do more than one season or if they do you have a massive wait. 

YouTube isn't too bad either but you can find you watch nearly a complete series and then they just stop before the end  (did this with Ippo  😣)

• Like 1

Primarily Funimation & VRV (which combines Crunchyroll & HiDive’s Libraries). And every couple months I switch between Netflix & Amazon as they add titles. Funi shares a lot of it’s simulcasts with Hulu now.

And there’s a free (commercial financed) but legal site called TubiTV that has quite a few older series (no simulcasts and the video quality isn’t that great) https://tubitv.com/category/anime

btw, here’s a site that lets you search which service has a particular series https://because.moe/

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1

9anime has pretty much everything dubbed and subbed in high quality. Alternatively, you could just torrent them - you can get BD quality on most anime-focused torrent sites.  The only problem is ongoing anime; torrenting every single episode is a hassle so I usually wait until there a batch after the series` finished.

On 10/25/2019 at 1:06 PM, Ohiotaku said:

And there’s a free (commercial financed) but legal site called TubiTV that has quite a few older series (no simulcasts and the video quality isn’t that great) https://tubitv.com/category/anime

It gives me the same as funimation and so many others "Tubi is the largest free movie and TV streaming service in the US. We are not available in Europe due to changes in EU laws."

Darn you licensing restrictions 😂

@leinwandname Sites like 9anime etc are kinda legal-illegal depending on the jurisdiction etc. From what I understand, watching anime there doesn't support the original creators, so that's something to consider. Like I've said before though, it seems kinda stupid that people in Europe pay about the same as in the US for Crunchyroll for example, but get only a fraction of the titles.

I mainly use Crunchyroll, not that I have the time to watch a lot these days 😂 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2019 at 6:06 AM, Ohiotaku said:

Huh, thanks for the source. Always looking for legally licensed sites to stream from that aren't the typical. 👍

I hope that Disney doesn't ruin Hulu.  The deal with Comcast keeps recognizable shows like SNL and The Office for at least 5 years, but less-popular (i.e. less profitable) shows, and especially stuff that doesn't mesh well with the corporate image of itself that Disney likes to promote, may very well not get renewed.  The focus of what gets added to the catalog going forward now that Disney has total control will likely change significantly as well.  There's quite a lot of anime content that is liable to get lost in the shuffle.

And of course with Disney you know the subscription price will increase, by hook or by crook.  They're already cracking down on account sharing, even between family members (via IP/device tracking and monitoring your broadband network usage, especially if you get your broadband through Comcast), and Disney+'s $13/mo Hulu/espn bundle even includes the ads version of Hulu.  Yes, you pay for the bundle and it still includes commercials!  I haven't investigated Disney+ too closely so maybe you can avoid ads at the $45 level, but even beside the bundling aspect in the first place, having to pay /anything/ for ads is just sooo wrong!

What other streaming options are there though?  With Disney and Apple it seems like streaming in general has become big-business, which typically means expensive.  Not to mention less interesting as anything that's not top-10 profitable and politically acceptable to the corporate censors gets weeded out.  Legally I mean.  Yeah, I know I can get everything from a couple (dozen) other "download" sources.  I want to make sure the animators get paid for their efforts however.  If you get your stuff "for free" from places like that they you're just rewarding advertising and IP theft, and discouraging future anime production.

As for me, I'm on Crunchy mainly, and I've occasionally used Netflix, Hulu, and Funimation.  None of them has everything.  You can't get everything even if you subscribe to all 4.

• 3 weeks later...