Hey! Just Joined

Jiskey

Hey, I'm just a 23 years old female who resides in California. I've joined previous communities like MyAnimeList before, but it's been awhile since I've jumped back into meeting others. My favorite anime do happen to include mainstream series like One Piece, Gintama, Hunter x Hunter, and others. However, I particularly like series that are more Slice of Life. Aside from anime, I do like to read manga as well as manwha. 

In terms of what I have been enjoying this season I so far have found myself looking forward to Beastars, Houkago Saikoro Club, Mairimashita! Iruma-kun, Hoshiai no Sora, Ascendence of a Bookworm, Kono Oto Tomare! 2, and Watashi, Nouryoku wa Heikinchi de tte Itta yo ne!. Others I've been watching from last season include Dr. Stone and Vinland Saga. 

Feel free to leave me a message as I'm always glad to meet and make new friends. (That and I'm bad at taking the initiative myself.) Thanks to all who bothered reading this! 

• Like 4

Welcome to the forums 😁

I’m finding Iruma-kun surprisingly enjoyable myself (can’t wait to see how things play out between him & the student council prez). After School Dice Club & Average Abilities isekai are fun too. Planning to binge the second half of Vinland Saga once it’s over, but will have to wait on Netflix to release Beastars.

Anyway, hope you enjoy it here.

• Like 2

Welcome to the forums :) I hope you enjoy it here. Since you like slice of life, did you ever watch Flying Witch? We were doing a group watch and discuss on the forum a while back but a few of us got bogged down with work. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fredrick123 said:

Hi i am 25 years old i am also new to this website hoping to get along , my favorite anime is Dragon Ball Z which is yours?

Overall, my favorite anime is One Piece as generic as that sounds. There are others which I'd say I like on par such as Hajime no Ippo, Gintama, Hunter x Hunter, etc. Those are the only ones I can list right off the bat since I have watched a lot of other different series. 

3 hours ago, Beocat said:

Welcome to the forums :) I hope you enjoy it here. Since you like slice of life, did you ever watch Flying Witch? We were doing a group watch and discuss on the forum a while back but a few of us got bogged down with work. 

I have watched Flying Witch. A lot of the series I tend to enjoy the most have fantasy/magic elements to them such as Hakumei to Mikochi, The Ancient Magus Bride, Centaur no Nayami, and others. I liked how easygoing of an anime it was and how it stayed the course of what you would expect a witch going about her life would do. (concocting potions, entering into hidden places with magic barriers, coming across mystical beings) It's been a long time since I have watched it though considering I watched it when it first came out weekly.

5 hours ago, Ohiotaku said:

Welcome to the forums 😁

I’m finding Iruma-kun surprisingly enjoyable myself (can’t wait to see how things play out between him & the student council prez). After School Dice Club & Average Abilities isekai are fun too. Planning to binge the second half of Vinland Saga once it’s over, but will have to wait on Netflix to release Beastars.

Anyway, hope you enjoy it here.

I'm waiting to see how things pan out between Iruma and the student council president too in this week's upcoming new episode. I also want to see what happens with the other admirer of his that he saved initially when he was fighting Asmodeus. Yeah, After School Dice Club and Average Abilities Isekai are both series I like watching for the cute factor. Vinland Saga has so far been a solid watch. I won't say anymore as to not spoil anything for you. It really sucks how hard it is to find a good site to watch Beastars and the new episode releases don't come out the day they "claim" it's been released and you can only find the new episodes several days after it supposedly came out.

Thanks. 😀

• Like 1

Hello @Jiskey👋  Another Californian here.  (In the foothills north of Los Angeles.)    I'll watch pretty much anything, though I don't have anywhere near enough time to watch everything.  I prefer science fiction mostly, subs > dubs, and I'm more into the short (1-2 season) anime than the ones that go on and on forever.  I binge-watch so I'm also usually at least a season behind.  Of the ones you mention I've got Ascendance of a Bookworm, Dr. Stone, and Noukin on my list as well.  Currently working my way through Yuno.  My MAL list is here.

Welcome!

3 hours ago, efaardvark said:

Hello @Jiskey👋  Another Californian here.  (In the foothills north of Los Angeles.)    I'll watch pretty much anything, though I don't have anywhere near enough time to watch everything.  I prefer science fiction mostly, subs > dubs, and I'm more into the short (1-2 season) anime than the ones that go on and on forever.  I binge-watch so I'm also usually at least a season behind.  Of the ones you mention I've got Ascendance of a Bookworm, Dr. Stone, and Noukin on my list as well.  Currently working my way through Yuno.  My MAL list is here.

Welcome!

That's cool, I've never really come across people from California too. (I live in the San Fernando Valley area) I'm pretty much the same when it comes to watching series. I prefer subs as well as that's what I'm mostly used to and I feel like when it comes to dubs there are not that many that are good. It varies with me depending on what I'm in the mood for whether it be a series with 100+ or a short season of 12 - 13 episodes. When it comes to binge watching it depends on how much I like a series where I'll binge watch it the way through or take my time with it.  Have you been enjoying any of those 3 so far? I'm watching other airing series too, but I just listed the ones I particularly look forward to. I tend to avoid series like Yuno. (not necessarily "harem", but those series with a main male character who is surrounded by nearly a strictly female cast) I find those kind of series to always just be okay for me too which is another reason why I avoid picking them up. I made a new account on MAL and my username is Toucandy so I'd be more than glad to continue conversing on there. I couldn't help but notice your pic is Hoshino from Planetes. I not too long ago watched that series and thought it was a very enjoyable watch. 

Thanks 😄

22 hours ago, Jiskey said:

That's cool, I've never really come across people from California too. (I live in the San Fernando Valley area) I'm pretty much the same when it comes to watching series. I prefer subs as well as that's what I'm mostly used to and I feel like when it comes to dubs there are not that many that are good. It varies with me depending on what I'm in the mood for whether it be a series with 100+ or a short season of 12 - 13 episodes. When it comes to binge watching it depends on how much I like a series where I'll binge watch it the way through or take my time with it.  Have you been enjoying any of those 3 so far? I'm watching other airing series too, but I just listed the ones I particularly look forward to. I tend to avoid series like Yuno. (not necessarily "harem", but those series with a main male character who is surrounded by nearly a strictly female cast) I find those kind of series to always just be okay for me too which is another reason why I avoid picking them up. I made a new account on MAL and my username is Toucandy so I'd be more than glad to continue conversing on there. I couldn't help but notice your pic is Hoshino from Planetes. I not too long ago watched that series and thought it was a very enjoyable watch. 

San Fernando Valley?  Sounds like you're relatively close.  I'm just a bit East of you in the Crescenta Valley.

I usually follow the 3-episode rule.. watch 3 episodes then decide if I want to continue.  Of the 3 (Bookworm, Dr. Stone, and Noukin) I haven't watched any of Dr. Stone yet.  The others I've watched the first few episodes, but I've set them aside for now.  When the season is done I'll go back and binge them.  Time allowing... the backlog in my Crunchyroll queue is hopelessly enormous.

Planetes 👍 :)  That's the kind of science fiction I like.  Also things like Ghost in the Shell are good.  Stuff like Star Wars, or even star Trek, is basically the same as fantasy to me.  That's fine for the entertainment, but not nearly as compelling to me as something that might actually be workable in real life.  I have a background in physics, space, computers, and electrical engineering too, so I'm pretty hard to please in that respect.  I can smell the handwavium from miles away.

18 hours ago, Illusion of Terra said:

A woman of taste I see, hi there 😂 

I know my favorite series are kind of typical. 😅 Hello!👋 What are your top favorite series?

21 hours ago, efaardvark said:

San Fernando Valley?  Sounds like you're relatively close.  I'm just a bit East of you in the Crescenta Valley.

I usually follow the 3-episode rule.. watch 3 episodes then decide if I want to continue.  Of the 3 (Bookworm, Dr. Stone, and Noukin) I haven't watched any of Dr. Stone yet.  The others I've watched the first few episodes, but I've set them aside for now.  When the season is done I'll go back and binge them.  Time allowing... the backlog in my Crunchyroll queue is hopelessly enormous.

Planetes 👍 :)  That's the kind of science fiction I like.  Also things like Ghost in the Shell are good.  Stuff like Star Wars, or even star Trek, is basically the same as fantasy to me.  That's fine for the entertainment, but not nearly as compelling to me as something that might actually be workable in real life.  I have a background in physics, space, computers, and electrical engineering too, so I'm pretty hard to please in that respect.  I can smell the handwavium from miles away.

Cool 😄 

I get you. I'm like that with series every season since the first episodes aren't always impactful and there are series that you have to keep watching to see if they get any better or interesting. It's probably best that you wait until they're done airing Dr. Stone. Hopefully, you'll like it when you start it. I personally think it's a pretty solid series from watching it thus far. You have premium membership with Crunchyroll? 

Planetes was a series I had a hard time determining if it was a serious or comical type of series because of how some episodes there would be dangerous or dark situations which would either be treated lightheartedly like it was a joke, but on the other hand there were others were it was serious. (Like that one episode where Hoshino was being chased by the ninja tenants and along the way he looked like he was crushed by those metal beams.) On the other hand, it got much darker later on in the series with Hoshino's obsession with space going out of control. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed the series though. I was very happy with the Tanabe and Hoshino coupling. I have yet to pick up Ghost in the Shell. I have it added to my plan to watch list, but it's not often that I'm in the mood for series with that kind of heavy tone to them. I always do get around to watching them though so hopefully sometime soon I can try picking it up. I only know general info about things like Star Wars and Star Trek. I have watched the movies of Star Wars and random episodes of Star Trek, but they aren't things that have ever compelled me to watch them to be honest. I can see why you may see series and such in a more critical light if you what you know is that diverse. Handwavium? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jiskey said:

I know my favorite series are kind of typical. 😅 Hello!👋 What are your top favorite series?

I enjoy those you've mentioned 😂 A great slice of life is also always something to look forward to!
I do think many of the 'mainstream' anime are really great. From the more recent series I liked Rising of the Shield Hero, Promised Neverland and My Hero Academia. Probably all of them are mainstream anime 😂 

4 hours ago, Jiskey said:

Handwavium?

Stringing together technical-sounding terms in meaningless ways to "explain" impossible technology.  "Reversing the polarity on the pattern buffer to phase the ship into subspace and keep from being hit by photon torpedos."  Bafflegab.  Closely related to unobtanium and very similar to MacGuffinite.

Hello there! I'm 29 M and also in cali! Sorry I was trying to do my own intro post but I wound up here instead lol.  I just finished haganai i dont have many friends and was sad it was over so j wanted to talk anime with some people! I like a lot of different shows but I have to say I love the slice of life ones about friends, I'd definitley reccomend haganai for that genre.

Welcome to AF. Hope you’re enjoying your time here so far, I’m Tefutakato or Teffy for short. Definitely make yourself comfortable here and get to know others if you like. After all we’re all fans of anime and that’s what we’re here for. 😛 

On 11/18/2019 at 10:42 PM, Tefutakato said:

Welcome to AF. Hope you’re enjoying your time here so far, I’m Tefutakato or Teffy for short. Definitely make yourself comfortable here and get to know others if you like. After all we’re all fans of anime and that’s what we’re here for. 😛 

Thank you! I'm not used to chatting on forums, but I do hope to make some new buds to chat with. :)