What do you do on Thanksgiving?

Illusion of Terra

Spend time with family, though it’s different since my parents passed. We don’t do the big home cooked meal anymore, instead going out to eat with my sister & her husband and kids. Usually invite along some friends who don’t have extended families nearby (think there will be about 10 of us this year). Afterwards, go back to one of our houses and talk/reminisce (and snack of course). Maybe watch a holiday movie together. My dad was the only one who was really into all the football games

• Like 2

Well we don't usually cuddle our turkeys like that, for starters 😁

I get my in laws and immediate family over and we all contribute a few dishes for our thanksgiving feast. It really is just an excuse to eat like a king for a night.

Growing up, I would wake up to my family in the kitchen already cooking the turkey while I turned on Buffy the Vampire Slayer to watch the thanksgiving episode, which FX never failed to air for me each thanksgiving (until I bought the set).

This year I have the ham, collards, deviled eggs, rolls, candied yams, parsnip soup, and mashed potatoes to prepare. Everyone else gets to make the rest when they show up tomorrow. Of course some things are being made ahead.

Once everyone is over, we will chat and snack, drink some wine, and enjoy each others company til dinner. At dinner we usually ask "what are you thankful for this year" but I want to change that to " whats your favorite memory with someone here?"

After dinner, we have pies and everyone is so full and sleepy. 

• Like 1
  • Silly 1

Our family usually all heads over to my cousin's place in Fillmore.  (About an hour's drive on LA freeways.)  They usually do a deep-fried turkey as the centerpiece, and everyone else kind of does a pot-luck thing for the side dishes and deserts.  Afterwards there's usually a group that turns on the (US) football game at some point, the kids go play computer/console games, my mom and her sister talk forever about who knows what...  Basically, get together with friends and family, eat, and do whatever seems like fun.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Ohiotaku said:

@efaardvark

Is the weather I’m hearing about out there having any impact on your plans?

It may.  First real rain we've had in a while so the streets will be slick.  Los Angeles drivers are idiots when it comes to weather.  (Bad weather?  Drive extra fast to make up for any delays.)  The snow level is coming down too.  Maybe as low as 2000 feet.  Fortunately I don't have to go up the 14 (freeway) as that's probably going to be icy.  There's been some high winds too, and we even had a brush fire down in Santa Barbara a couple days ago.

Probably nothing bad enough to call off the turkey-day festivities though.  I'll check the sigalerts site when I get up tomorrow to see what I'm up against.  I'll likely just get going a little earlier than usual to allow for traffic delays.  Maybe start back a little earlier too.

• 11 months later...

Family gathering with usually a moderate to large variety of food at my mom's. Had 5 different pies, mashed potatoes, stuffing, 5 or 6 different salads ranging from pasta to lettuce, different variety of gravy, ham, turkey, cookies, buns, bread, etc. Also watch the parade on TV and just talk amongst ourselves. 

14 hours ago, Geano said:

This year my parents literally brought food, and I ate it with just me, and my partner since COVID is still a thing.

A lot of that going on this year.  Our family usually gathers at my cousin's place for a sort of pot-luck turkey-day while watching the (US football) game.  This year that wasn't an option.  Everyone just stayed home with their immediate families.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, efaardvark said:

A lot of that going on this year.  Our family usually gathers at my cousin's place for a sort of pot-luck turkey-day while watching the (US football) game.  This year that wasn't an option.  Everyone just stayed home with their immediate families.

Pot lucks are always fun no matter the occasion as then everyone contributes. Yes this year will be much the same for xmaas too most likely.

Usually, we'd go out and travel, see family and stuff. But, you know, we can't exactly do that.

So this year, we just made some food and watched the parade. That apparently still happened.

And I'd just like to say, @Geano, you're probably right, sadly...

• 11 months later...

Give thanks to the pto lords so that I may have also have vacation for Christmas. In other news, spending thanksgiving with family out of town. You guys do the full deal? Turkey and reliving the family photo album? My uncle on my mother's knows how to tell a good story gonna be sad that he can't make it this time.

53 minutes ago, Kreideprinz said:

Oh, wow. Hope they're doing okay? 

Latest update was that he lost his sense of taste & smell but otherwise symptoms were mild. Sounds like it takes the fun out of the holiday meal though :P