How do you organize your Anime?

Fireduck

Your current Anime set-up  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Your current Anime set-up

• I organize mine Alphabeticaly
    • I organize mine by Genre
    • I organize my LE's separate from my regular releases
    • Are you kidding me?! A set is lucky just to get shelf space!

As my bluray collection grows I've pondered a dilemma that I'll have to face sooner than later....,adjusting the way I display my anime.  As of right now my anime collection is small and easy to manipulate.  So I have it all together in Alphabetical order.  Now I realize things will eventually get more complicated.  What will I do when I have multiple shelves of anime, and I get that new "A" release?  Will I adjust and move my entire collection down one slot to put that "A" title with the rest?  Eventually that will probably take me hours to do.  So I'm wondering if I should be ready to change up my display.  What do you guys do?

Forgot to add "other" option to the poll.  So if you do something I didn't list, let me know. :)

Edited by Fireduck

1 hour ago, Fireduck said:

I've pondered a dilemma that I'll have to face sooner than later

The woes of an otaku 😂 

Seriously though, I don't organize mine by anything like alphabet or genre. I don't really know how I organize them but usually just put stuff to where I think it seems fitting. Things I enjoy more get special places and the rest just kinda evolves the way it does

Edited by Illusion of Terra

I love this forum but I wish it were more populated.  Before anime my obsession was statues and I was a regular on statueforum.  This would have had 20+ responses by now.  I guess I have to get use to the slower forums here...

10 hours ago, Illusion of Terra said:

The woes of an otaku 😂 

Seriously though, I don't organize mine by anything like alphabet or genre. I don't really know how I organize them but usually just put stuff to where I think it seems fitting. Things I enjoy more get special places and the rest just kinda evolves the way it does

Such is life! :)  I guess I’ll just have to let my collection evolve in its own way.  Though sometimes I can be OCD so we’ll see how that fits into my collection haha!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fireduck said:

I love this forum but I wish it were more populated.  Before anime my obsession was statues and I was a regular on statueforum.  This would have had 20+ responses by now.  I guess I have to get use to the slower forums here...

Yeah I'd be great if there were more active users. We'll have to start a recruiting campaign all at one 😂

I can usually remember where stuff/anime is, so I luckily don't have to organize it too much. Embrace the chaos 😂

• Cool (Kakkoii) 1

I do both. Originally I had it all by alphabetic (and series as some related series have multiple names).  Then it got to the point that when I was in the mood for anime and went to look at my collection I really couldn't find anything. I'd think, I want to watch horror, but then I'd have to scan the whole thing or remember all the titles I owned that were horror related.

That's when I spent a few hours redoing my shelves. I have 2 large DVD cabinets with sliding glass doors holding in my collection, so you can imagine the work I had to do to reorganize it.  I redid things by major genre (Fighting, Magical Girl, Horror, Space Opera, Reverse Harem, Harem (things only got put into harem if it had no other major genre to speak of) and the like...ending in miscellaneous for everything left). Some major series like Tenchi Muyo and Sailor Moon got their own sections as did major artists like Studio Ghibli and Makoto Shinkai.  Never split off my Matsumoto collections but he is essentially hslf of my Space Operas anyhow. 

For the most part I had everything grouped then picked shelves.  Everything is separate (I have a ton of bookends so that was easy enough) so no runon genres when I have 2 or more genres to a shelf and then everything within the genre gets alphabetized. Series go with the first season, no matter what the names of subsequent seasons are, and that goes for related series too (Outlaw Star and Angel Links for example get placed together). Now I never have problems finding anime when the urge takes me and I always know where everything is. 

I also maintain a word file of my collection organized exactly the same and I keep an updated version on the cloud so when I'm out or at conventions I can easily look up what I have at home and not buy the same thing twice. Sounds odd, but it has made life so much easier and I haven't rebought an anime by accident in years lol.

My best friend however does not maintain her similarly sizable collection in any order at all. She sent me pictures a few years ago. Just trying to read the titles off the shelves was a nightmare. But she keeps track of it in her head just fine so the more power to her. I am lost when looking at her collection lol.

As sn aside @Illusion of Terra I think things will pick back up come January.  From October thru December  is generally hectic for most people due to the holidays. Family comes first, right? Even for me this holiday season has been insane.

• Like 1

I use the geological method of organization: the most recent ones I’ve bought the closest to the surface, and the more strata you dig through, the older (actually that’s how I organize most things, not just anime & manga) 😂 Seriously, I still have stuff in moving boxes and that was almost 3 years ago. Of course my collection numbers in the hundreds of discs, though a lot if them are from when they only sold 4 - 6 episodes at a time. Anymore  I primarily stream instead of looking for the discs, but I like to have the physical copies, because you never know when the streaming service could take a title down.

As far as the decrease in activity, I wonder if part of it is they’re not as  excited about this seasons shows as they were about Fruits Basket & Kimetsu no Yaiba. Also, a lot of titles wound up on Funimation/Hulu instead of CR. I actually prefer the interaction on small forums, as I mainly lurk on the larger ones. I do hope things get back to the level of earlier in the year, though.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

7 hours ago, Illusion of Terra said:

Yeah I'd be great if there were more active users. We'll have to start a recruiting campaign all at one 😂

I can usually remember where stuff/anime is, so I luckily don't have to organize it too much. Embrace the chaos 😂

Hell yeah let's do it! haha!  I was thinking I could single handedly get this place jiving but if we had an active forum army maybe we could make it happen 😂😉

2 hours ago, Beocat said:

I do both. Originally I had it all by alphabetic (and series as some related series have multiple names).  Then it got to the point that when I was in the mood for anime and went to look at my collection I really couldn't find anything. I'd think, I want to watch horror, but then I'd have to scan the whole thing or remember all the titles I owned that were horror related.

That's when I spent a few hours redoing my shelves. I have 2 large DVD cabinets with sliding glass doors holding in my collection, so you can imagine the work I had to do to reorganize it.  I redid things by major genre (Fighting, Magical Girl, Horror, Space Opera, Reverse Harem, Harem (things only got put into harem if it had no other major genre to speak of) and the like...ending in miscellaneous for everything left). Some major series like Tenchi Muyo and Sailor Moon got their own sections as did major artists like Studio Ghibli and Makoto Shinkai.  Never split off my Matsumoto collections but he is essentially hslf of my Space Operas anyhow. 

For the most part I had everything grouped then picked shelves.  Everything is separate (I have a ton of bookends so that was easy enough) so no runon genres when I have 2 or more genres to a shelf and then everything within the genre gets alphabetized. Series go with the first season, no matter what the names of subsequent seasons are, and that goes for related series too (Outlaw Star and Angel Links for example get placed together). Now I never have problems finding anime when the urge takes me and I always know where everything is. 

I also maintain a word file of my collection organized exactly the same and I keep an updated version on the cloud so when I'm out or at conventions I can easily look up what I have at home and not buy the same thing twice. Sounds odd, but it has made life so much easier and I haven't rebought an anime by accident in years lol.

My best friend however does not maintain her similarly sizable collection in any order at all. She sent me pictures a few years ago. Just trying to read the titles off the shelves was a nightmare. But she keeps track of it in her head just fine so the more power to her. I am lost when looking at her collection lol.

As sn aside @Illusion of Terra I think things will pick back up come January.  From October thru December  is generally hectic for most people due to the holidays. Family comes first, right? Even for me this holiday season has been insane.

Huh!  Wow, I might incorporate some of these ideas into my collection.  I've been struggling with what I want to do in the future.  I was going to ask the people who separate their regular blurays from their LE sets how they do that cause what if they have a series with multiple seasons where they have one season on LE and the other season as a regular release. (Maybe they missed the LE set for that particular season or whatever the case) do they keep the seasons separate or do they ruin their flow of LE sets with the occasional reg bluray thrown in?  See neither would work so I'm genuinely curious about that.

It looks like separating into genre is a great idea.  Horror, Fighting, magical girl, harem etc.  I might go for that personally with some variations.  

26 minutes ago, Ohiotaku said:

I use the geological method of organization: the most recent ones I’ve bought the closest to the surface, and the more strata you dig through, the older (actually that’s how I organize most things, not just anime & manga) 😂 Seriously, I still have stuff in moving boxes and that was almost 3 years ago. Of course my collection numbers in the hundreds of discs, though a lot if them are from when they only sold 4 - 6 episodes at a time. Anymore  I primarily stream instead of looking for the discs, but I like to have the physical copies, because you never know when the streaming service could take a title down.

As far as the decrease in activity, I wonder if part of it is they’re not as  excited about this seasons shows as they were about Fruits Basket & Kimetsu no Yaiba. Also, a lot of titles wound up on Funimation/Hulu instead of CR. I actually prefer the interaction on small forums, as I mainly lurk on the larger ones. I do hope things get back to the level of earlier in the year, though.

I'm SO trying to find a way to be able to keep track of my shows that way I can find them easily once I get a massive collection.  Gonna do my best. :)

• Like 2

One word.  Plex.  :D Electronic sorting, searching, and finding is soooo much easier.  Plus electrons should make it a lot easier to take it all with me when I head to the outer planets.  🤣

Then there are my "backup" copies of everything in the bookshelf.  Multivolume sets are grouped together, but that's about it.  My physical shelf is totally disorganized.  Not even alphabetized.  New stuff goes in wherever there's enough physical space.. once I've ripped a copy for the plex server of course.  If I like the artwork enough then I lean it against the rest or prop it up with the cover (or whatever) facing outward for display purposes.  That's about it.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Fireduck said:

Hell yeah let's do it! haha!  I was thinking I could single handedly get this place jiving but if we had an active forum army maybe we could make it happen 😂😉

You know, now that I think about it, it might actually be a decent idea. If we coordinate and all recruit people at the same time it could lead to quite a boost with all new recruits having people who are in the same position. If we wait for when a new wave of very popular anime are released (such as Shield Hero) this could work 😂

Edited by Illusion of Terra
  • Like 1

On 11/29/2019 at 11:41 AM, Illusion of Terra said:

You know, now that I think about it, it might actually be a decent idea. If we coordinate and all recruit people at the same time it could lead to quite a boost with all new recruits having people who are in the same position. If we wait for when a new wave of very popular anime are released (such as Shield Hero) this could work 😂

Sounds like a plan!

• Like 1