Scratches and fingerprints on new Blurays

Fireduck

Hey guys.  So I just wanted to get advise and thoughts on options based on your past experiences.  So I just received my anime haul from Sentai and unfortunately I noticed fingerprints and some scratches on some of my “new” never opened anime.

I got 6 sets and 5 of them have some sort of marks on one of their Blu-ray’s.

Elfen Lied:

8D79C592-E7A4-4187-877E-A5B776A73E1E.thumb.jpeg.f5118e88701f6a2e8626725acfa50625.jpeg97C5CEC6-0E67-498E-B93A-22914FCE408A.thumb.jpeg.7a03353b83aa68356f50b491691dc29d.jpeg54E035E7-7882-44E9-92A5-79D0F8A86063.thumb.jpeg.6496f747f74a7297cb07bc63a7bb5be4.jpegspacer.pngspacer.png

Love, Chunibyo:

CB4F42FD-3646-4C15-BDFE-7833B8B16473.thumb.jpeg.c0b8af4f52baa2555190808dcda20abf.jpeg40686023-A7D6-46A6-AB3A-B421147965E0.thumb.jpeg.2c89983fb8f20c866bef98668a90d9ec.jpegD32309ED-009A-40FC-977C-D399AD9EDED6.thumb.jpeg.e2be111a74bb3daaa150aeeda2cca2ab.jpeg

Amagi Brilliant Park:

CE5023E5-6803-4F3E-BA6F-5402645B8169.thumb.jpeg.56ae99c39792882c1e4dc51283f66af1.jpeg95C6E0E2-6993-48E1-AFE0-4B4CA78ACF15.thumb.jpeg.50e6e3676fea440991221df912cf3eee.jpegFEFC3835-E106-415F-846F-3F9F969C4B17.thumb.jpeg.bd5efc876580c57dd43c3baaac880ec0.jpeg

Girls Last Tour:

330F9559-29AF-48BA-BB37-B6F60BAEDB34.thumb.jpeg.06a65756ad45c6547a518ff5dd44e2ec.jpegA0B710AA-C84A-4CC1-A512-C81E735EB267.thumb.jpeg.18e6d2f90a5c73eb4b27d3e34b272ed2.jpegC331C4B5-48CD-4CA1-ADEC-E10B297E8B99.thumb.jpeg.e4f6fae88f46a26db025aac83ccb8af2.jpeg

C8EB0243-00EC-431F-A723-B251E0765494.thumb.jpeg.b8e9e9efc34504bce7e54da55ab4a5e3.jpeg

And the worst one, Princess Principle:

8E5F037D-8190-4C50-9ACA-EDBBAD3CAB92.thumb.jpeg.1ed99ef0698b39946a77aa91a7803088.jpegE833B125-5D8A-40A9-96AF-CFFC863D469C.thumb.jpeg.fcf8e04b566d030d1756e32052331d52.jpeg2B544B7D-CE2D-47C7-B38D-0BB640E386D6.thumb.jpeg.88289787e402c10caca0e912f1fc607c.jpeg4D360342-2F71-4802-83A4-21A92BFD21DA.thumb.jpeg.9ed636d993691da130cf41fcb3c0257c.jpeg

Of course I’m going to contact Sentai but just wanted to know if others have experienced this and what Sentai or even Rightstuf did for you.  Being these are all LE sets does make me nervous I’ll be sent a box in worse shape but I guess the Blu-ray’s are the most important part.

Funny as I’ve NEVER had or even heard of any problems with video games. (Never has fingerprints or scratches on new games.  But I’ve only had this problem with anime.  Seriously how do new discs have fingerprint marks?!

F80D8CC1-719B-4DB0-83BC-424AA14844FC.jpeg

C83EE615-D007-40BD-BCA2-068C25773D83.jpeg

Edited by Fireduck

10 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

I've never ordered anything from those locations, but I will say that for the most part, BD's are much more durable and resistant than DVD's and CD's were.  The laser on BDP's is also usually pretty good, it takes an awful lot for them to not read a disc.  A question, are the scratches actually deep enough you can really feel them or are they scuffed?  If scuffed, sometimes warm water will take care of them. 

That being said - if you purchased a new item, these are clearly opened (by someone obviously not yourself).  Bad advertisement for sure.  Good luck with the results.

Well they were purchased directly from Sentiafilmworks as brand new.  And they were all plastic wrapped.  Could Sentai be really selling used products as brand new?  I haven't felt them as I'm afraid to touch them.  I never touch the bottoms of discs.  I'm going to contact them tonight cause I find this unacceptable.  Hopefully they can help me out cause that seriously put a damper on my holiday purchase.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The History Kid said:

Of course.  Usually I'd suggest against touching the bottoms with your fingers.  But using a small microfiber cloth usually is practical to determine if a scratch is dug in or not.  I do this if I discover that discs have become dislodged in shipping - as it seems to becoming more and more common (though that's a USPS/UPS/FedEx issue).

That being said, the finger prints are what lead me to be skeptical of the purchase.  Scratches and glance-scuffs are common in shipping (as I said), and they are usually superficial and low to no impact.  Fingerprints however require manipulation of the packaging.  So I would definitely contact someone regarding that.

I went ahead and contacted Sentai.  The only thing I can conclude to is that the fingerprints happened from the factory when the workers put the discs into the cases.... Honestly I'm at a loss.  I saw this years ago with my your name order from Rightstuf.  I don't remember what I did at the time.  If I recall it was on the bonus soundtrack CD and I think I completely forgot to set things straight.  My loss.  Not again.  It's definitely bothering me.  Especially when I literally got 5 sets with issues!

Edited by Fireduck
  • Like 1

Well, sadly I believe that the real problem here is Rightstuf.  Now hear me out before you say I didn't read first.  And the problems I've suffered with Rightstuf…  Yeesh. 

When you order from Sentai, the packages ship from the same location (I believe it's actually the exact same address as memory serves me) as Rightstuf from Grimes, IO.  I honestly believe that Sentai has an agreement or a contract set up with Rightstuf for Rightstuf to act as their warehouse (so that they do not have to expend money on buiding a warehouse of their own).  Rightstuf pulls from their own inventory but ships the packages in boxes labeled and stamped with Sentai (boxes eeriy familiar in appearance to Rightstuf boxes).  Those damages are guaranteed damages from Rightstuf where quality and customer service has dropped substantially in the past years.  Sentai will definitely advocate on your behalf with Rightstuf to fix the problems, but seeing all the issues I've endured with Rightstuf, you might be out of luck for weeks.  And usually if Rightstuf replaces a disk, they ship it in a cheap clear dvd case, giving you only the disk and nothing else.  I hadn't had any issues with my Sentai orders in the past, but I'm guessing Rightstuf is getting too comfortable with the deal and getting sloppy on those deliveries.  Just my two cents.

They never did replace all my damaged disks.  It was half-assed customer service, which is what I come to expect from Rightstuf.  It's even worse that Rightstuf is essentially the largest anime distributor/warehouse in America...practically the only one...and this is the quality of service we get from them.  We really need a competitor to rise and challenge them.  They have gotten too comfortable and we are paying for it.

• Like 3

man, that really sucks. I'd definitely try and return them. Let's hope you'll have more luck than Beocat. Don't have anything constructive to add 😂 was just really surprised when I saw that one disc with the fingerprints. Never happened to me before. Usually when things are plastic wrapped they smell and look brand new.

18 hours ago, Beocat said:

Well, sadly I believe that the real problem here is Rightstuf.  Now hear me out before you say I didn't read first.  And the problems I've suffered with Rightstuf…  Yeesh. 

When you order from Sentai, the packages ship from the same location (I believe it's actually the exact same address as memory serves me) as Rightstuf from Grimes, IO.  I honestly believe that Sentai has an agreement or a contract set up with Rightstuf for Rightstuf to act as their warehouse (so that they do not have to expend money on buiding a warehouse of their own).  Rightstuf pulls from their own inventory but ships the packages in boxes labeled and stamped with Sentai (boxes eeriy familiar in appearance to Rightstuf boxes).  Those damages are guaranteed damages from Rightstuf where quality and customer service has dropped substantially in the past years.  Sentai will definitely advocate on your behalf with Rightstuf to fix the problems, but seeing all the issues I've endured with Rightstuf, you might be out of luck for weeks.  And usually if Rightstuf replaces a disk, they ship it in a cheap clear dvd case, giving you only the disk and nothing else.  I hadn't had any issues with my Sentai orders in the past, but I'm guessing Rightstuf is getting too comfortable with the deal and getting sloppy on those deliveries.  Just my two cents.

They never did replace all my damaged disks.  It was half-assed customer service, which is what I come to expect from Rightstuf.  It's even worse that Rightstuf is essentially the largest anime distributor/warehouse in America...practically the only one...and this is the quality of service we get from them.  We really need a competitor to rise and challenge them.  They have gotten too comfortable and we are paying for it.

Honestly I'd be okay with them sending just the discs in dvd cases.  Seriously as long as the discs arrive to me in new shape I'd prefer that.  My LE boxes themselves came in good shape and I don't want to chance getting different LE's in worse shape.  And what else is weird is I've checked all the other discs in each set and they're all good.  No scratches or fingerprints to speak of.  So it was just basically one disc with each set....SO odd!  So again I don't want to risk getting other sets with bad discs.  And yeah I think they come from the same place as well.  They have the same shipping label and return address I believe.

I'm not sure how this works as all the discs seem different than their regular releases and appear to be made specifically for the LE sets.  For example the art on the Elfen Lied steelbook disc is different from the regular Blu-ray disc release.  Also all the discs basically say "limited edition" on them so it's not like they can give me regular discs.  Do the manufacturers make extra discs just in case of damaged LE's?  Am I suppose to send all my LE's back and they send me different ones?  I honestly don't want that.  What would they even do with my open sets after they get them back?

Another thing is I have no idea where to get my anime from if not for Rightstuf or Sentai.  I want all my anime pristine and brand new and I adore the limited edition sets with the chipboard boxes and extras.  Where else can I get those?  Where do you buy from Beocat?  Amazon doesn't ship out in safe boxes usually.  Usually they're packaging is crap.  Ebay isn't great and doesn't have deals usually.  Where else can I go?

14 hours ago, Illusion of Terra said:

man, that really sucks. I'd definitely try and return them. Let's hope you'll have more luck than Beocat. Don't have anything constructive to add 😂 was just really surprised when I saw that one disc with the fingerprints. Never happened to me before. Usually when things are plastic wrapped they smell and look brand new.

That last one has fingerprints ALL OVER IT!  When I buy brand new I expect my discs to be free of smudges and scratches.  All my other anime, movie, videogame discs look flawless.  Even the ones I've had for years and have played relentlessly!  Seriously if you were to check my Ni No Kuni disc you would think it's brand new.  It's completely clean.  And I've put over 120 hours into that game!

Trust me Ill update you guys with how this plays out.  I'm hoping Sentai/Righstuf prove to me why I should continue buying from them.  If they make this right I'll for sure sing their praises and continue to spend all my hard-earned money with them.

Edited by Fireduck
  • Agree 1

On 12/3/2019 at 12:02 AM, Beocat said:

Yeah a lot of anime companies go through rightstuf now. I know FUNimation sells most of their stuff through them. I mean, I personally haven't had any issues with them so far (and I only ever order their stuff when it's on sale, lmao). The Bestbuy near me usually has a pretty good selection of anime or I can just order through them if need be. I also have a bookstore right next to them that sells anime as well as manga. So yeah it sucks for those who don't have those options and have to settle for shopping online. 

I have had discs from stores become dislodged but I normally give the case a slight shake before buying it because most of the time you can hear if it is dislodged. If I don't and I buy one that is I'll normally return it since I did pay money for it and I don't live far. Sometimes I'll check to see if the discs are deeply scratched, etc. If it's not and I don't care at the time I won't return it (as long as it works). 

With an online purchase I'd definitely get ahold of them and see if you can get it replaced or a refund.

Just thought I'd let you guys know that Sentai responded to my initial message.  So I'm going to send them the pics and we'll go from there.  Sounds like Sentai wants me to return them for replacements.  Fingers crossed everything goes off without a hitch!

• Like 2