Military is my favorite genre?

Hanna Fechik

It’s a little odd that this is my first post on here, but I had to get this out.

So since I was 16 I seem to have developed some taste for anime/manga that some military/warfare undertone. To me, that does not exclude anime shows like Keroro Gunso and Hetalia: Axis Powers, because obviously most the characters are in the army. I also realize they’re nationalistic in nature. I think Sgt Frog did have a lot of references to Japan’s military abuses throughout history.  I have recently gotten into Yojou Senkai(The Saga of Tanya The Evil). I love the psychotic personality of the main character.

I don’t know however, if I would get into stuff like Hellsing, Attack On Titan, Code Geass etc. I tried getting into Fairy Gone, but all those negative reviews have discouraged me, but I think I may need to revisit it.

I also seem to have gotten interested in Dies Irae. That one is pure creepiness, but I think the villains are awesomely insane.

Most of the Gundam series seemed to have a fairly heavy military influence to me (though I’ve yet to actually finish any of them 😂). 
I agree with @The History Kid about Fullmetal Alchemist and there’s a series along the same lines called Pumpkin Scissors, though nowhere the same quality. More recently there was The Price of Smiles.  I think you would probably like Attack on Titan, maybe Ghost in the Shell: SAC. Series like Kancolle & Azur Lane are more about fanservice than anything (reimagining military vessels as cute/sexy girls). Likewise GATE is an isekai with a supposed military slant, but is more harem than anything. Finally, there’s Fullmetal Panic.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2019 at 3:50 PM, Ohayotaku said:

Most of the Gundam series seemed to have a fairly heavy military influence to me (though I’ve yet to actually finish any of them 😂). 
I agree with @The History Kid about Fullmetal Alchemist and there’s a series along the same lines called Pumpkin Scissors, though nowhere the same quality. More recently there was The Price of Smiles.  I think you would probably like Attack on Titan, maybe Ghost in the Shell: SAC. Series like Kancolle & Azur Lane are more about fanservice than anything (reimagining military vessels as cute/sexy girls). Likewise GATE is an isekai with a supposed military slant, but is more harem than anything. Finally, there’s Fullmetal Panic.

Oh, I also wanted to ask. Does “Fire Force” possibly count as well?

@Hanna Fechik

Maybe? I don’t make as strong a connection as with most mecha series or FMA, but the central characters are acting in the safety & defense of the public. There’s actually some infighting between the various divisions because of different loyalties (one is more loyal to the military, another to the “church”, another to corporations, etc). The one central to the story is actually geared more to weeding out corruption in the other divisions while trying to adhere to the ideal of public defense & protection. One of the female members is actually from a high ranking military family & there was some  bad blood over her joining the force instead of the military. The series has a lot going for it, but unfortunately the creator’s sense of humor offends some people & I personally feel it detracts from the other aspects pretty frequently. Not just because of ecchiness, but because it saps the momentum/adrenaline at times and makes it feel immature. Definitely shonen instead of seinen. I rated both seasons 7 but it could be 8 or 9 with better focus IMO. 

Edited by Ohayotaku

3 hours ago, Ohayotaku said:

@Hanna Fechik

Maybe? I don’t make as strong a connection as with most mecha series or FMA, but the central characters are acting in the safety & defense of the public. There’s actually some infighting between the various divisions because of different loyalties (one is more loyal to the military, another to the “church”, another to corporations, etc). The one central to the story is actually geared more to weeding out corruption in the other divisions while trying to adhere to the ideal of public defense & protection. One of the female members is actually from a high ranking military family & there was some  bad blood over her joining the force instead of the military. The series has a lot going for it, but unfortunately the creator’s sense of humor offends some people & I personally feel it detracts from the other aspects pretty frequently. Not just because of ecchiness, but because it saps the momentum/adrenaline at times and makes it feel immature. Definitely shonen instead of seinen. I rated both seasons 7 but it could be 8 or 9 with better focus IMO. 

I’ll admit it is starting to grow on me. I’m finding myself being amused by the the antics. But the fan service, that’s not good.

This is why, I am making a booklet containing pictures from containing screenshots from any sort of military anime.

• Cool (Kakkoii) 1

I largely came to accept Arthur’s Don Quioxte style delusions & Glasses bro’s lack of fashion sense. But poor Tamaki pretty much got reduced to being a walking wardrobe malfunction 😳

That & mechanic guy’s creepy/weird inventions 😅

49 minutes ago, Ohayotaku said:

I largely came to accept Arthur’s Don Quioxte style delusions & Glasses bro’s lack of fashion sense. But poor Tamaki pretty much got reduced to being a walking wardrobe malfunction 😳

A part in the anime that really made me smile is when they were tripped up on euphorics.

You know Fairy Gone by P.A. Works?

• Funny 1

42 minutes ago, Hanna Fechik said:

You know Fairy Gone by P.A. Works?

Started watching, but never finished. Not bad, but didn’t really hold my interest.

I would definitely recommend Attack on Titan if you haven’t been watching. And there’s a fairly obscure older title called Pumpkin Scissors I liked somewhat.

Edited by Ohayotaku

18 minutes ago, Ohayotaku said:

Started watching, but never finished. Not bad, but didn’t really hold my interest.

I would definitely recommend Attack on Titan if you haven’t been watching. And there’s a fairly obscure older title called Pumpkin Scissors I liked somewhat.

I loved it. Actually kept my bored mind busy enough. I especially loved Chima. The little blue Fox creature.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 10/8/2021 at 5:12 PM, Ohayotaku said:

You know, I honestly will jump for joy if it got a 3rd season.

Plus, I will be checking out AOT tomorrow.

Edited by Hanna Fechik
  • Cool (Kakkoii) 1

9 minutes ago, Hanna Fechik said:

You know, I honestly will jump for joy if it got a 3rd season.

It definitely needs one to wrap things. And I admit I’m curious if there’s a direct connection to Soul Eater or if the cameos were just intended as easter eggs.

12 minutes ago, Hanna Fechik said:

Plus, I will be checking out AOT tomorrow

I think you’ll enjoy it. Though we have to wait till next year for the grand finale (they promise it’s the end this time, honest 😂 )

3 hours ago, Ohayotaku said:

Though we have to wait till next year for the grand finale (they promise it’s the end this time, honest 😂 )

Mmhmm...and if you believe that...🤣

1 hour ago, Hanna Fechik said:

You think I'm going to be able to stomach the amount of gore that's in it?

Probably, it did air on Adult Swim afterall. For me personally the most gruesome scenes were within the first 10 eps

particularly Eren  being eaten by a titan & then ripping out of it’s body after transforming

Edited by Ohayotaku
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Ohayotaku said:

Probably, it did air on Adult Swim afterall. For me personally the most gruesome scenes were within the first 10 eps

Reveal hidden contents

particularly Eren  being eaten by a titan & then ripping out of it’s body after transforming

1 episode in, and already jittery and creeped out. But I'm liking it!

On 5/5/2022 at 3:48 PM, Ohayotaku said:

It definitely needs one to wrap things. And I admit I’m curious if there’s a direct connection to Soul Eater or if the cameos were just intended as easter eggs.

I think you’ll enjoy it. Though we have to wait till next year for the grand finale (they promise it’s the end this time, honest 😂 )

I just checked, and it turns out FF season 3 has been announced! Overjoyed, but certainly in a calm manner.

• Cool (Kakkoii) 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2022 at 7:20 PM, Hanna Fechik said:

I just checked, and it turns out FF season 3 has been announced! Overjoyed, but certainly in a calm manner.

Confirmed

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2022/05/16-1/fire-force-season-3-officially-announced

• 1 month later...
On 12/7/2019 at 9:06 PM, Hanna Fechik said:

It’s a little odd that this is my first post on here, but I had to get this out.

So since I was 16 I seem to have developed some taste for anime/manga that some military/warfare undertone. To me, that does not exclude anime shows like Keroro Gunso and Hetalia: Axis Powers, because obviously most the characters are in the army. I also realize they’re nationalistic in nature. I think Sgt Frog did have a lot of references to Japan’s military abuses throughout history.  I have recently gotten into Yojou Senkai(The Saga of Tanya The Evil). I love the psychotic personality of the main character.

I don’t know however, if I would get into stuff like Hellsing, Attack On Titan, Code Geass etc. I tried getting into Fairy Gone, but all those negative reviews have discouraged me, but I think I may need to revisit it.

I also seem to have gotten interested in Dies Irae. That one is pure creepiness, but I think the villains are awesomely insane.

Yes, this is my favorite genre. And you should try GATE if you also like military anime, watching the Japanese military wipe out fantastical forces was a delight.