Netflix/ knights of the zodiac... a bit mad

Rickybobby

Is anybody else angry that Netflix, rather than add the actual knights of the zodiac, redid all of the art to make it a non anime and claimed it was an original series created by them? This is either copyright or an oversight by anyone with intelligence. I have a feeling I will be dropping them soon. I dont get angry over many things but this on is killing me.

Thing of it is, it’s still a joint project with Toei Animation so at least part of your anger should be directed at them for “selling out”. Though it’s not like the first time this has ever happened  and won’t be the last. I made it through maybe 10 minutes of the new series before deciding it’s not for me, but wasn’t really into the original either.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Oh god.

Alright let me begin by first saying I'm a long time fan of the original series. I am absolutely baffled as to how they go this so so so so wrong.
It is one things to try and breath new life into a franchise like the Lost Canvas series. It is another thing entirely to do a reboot without any reason to actually do a reboot.

By god the animation is awful, like painfully bad. Some cg animes you can get over it, like for Knigths of Sidonia, but for this anime it is nearly impossible to take you eyes away from how stiff and just weirdly everything moves. Some of the still shots are very detailed and look quite nice, but if your still shots are the highlights of your animation work something has gone wrong.

The plot, is basically a shorterned version of the original anime. The orginal anime was bloodier, and every fight the saints are always close to death. This anime felt a lot softer, like the stakes were not as high. Also some of the changes they made to the plot are very contradicting to a lot of the originals story and character arcs. I feel like they were thinking these changes would make the story feel fresh, but they really didn't accomplish that and instead they took away characters key motivations that drove them in the original series.

All in all I think this reboot failed to capture the spirit of the original, and did not do enough to be able to stand on its own. I hope they leave it at the 12 episode mark they have set out to do, and do not go anywhere near the hades chapters.

• 4 months later...
On 12/11/2019 at 5:53 PM, Wedgy said:

I don't understand what you mean by "non-anime". This looks like anime style to me. Netflix clearly got the rights to produce this adaptation from Toei, so no, it isn't a violation of intellectual property, either. A Netflix Original doesn't necessarily mean it was originally created by them- it means that Netflix produced the programme and owns the rights to stream it on their platform and nowhere else. You of course have all the power to stop using their service; that's your decision.

Surprisingly a lot of people confuse that point and I'm glad you pointed it out. Had a buddy who said the same thing, took forever and tons of research to convince him otherwise.