Winter 2020 Anticiation

Ohayotaku

So, anything people are looking forward to? https://www.livechart.me/winter-2020/tv

For me:

Also Re:Zero season 1 is getting a re-broadcast/edit in preparation for season 2 in April. I’ll probably watch since it’s one of the Isekai Quartet titles I haven’t seen yet.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 2

No idea yet.  I'm usually at least a season behind, binge-watching the last season and whatever else takes my fancy.  Right now I'm still waiting for Bookworm to finish so that's about where I am in the greater flow of anime.  :)  

Of the ones you listed I kind of liked Yuru Camp so Heya will probably get a watch.  I've also heard of one called Koisuru Shouwakusei coming up.  Not sure when it is coming out but it is astronomy-themed and sounds vaguely like Sora no Manimani, which I kind of liked.  I'll probably check that out.

Other than that.. not a clue.  Nothing's really grabbed my fancy in the last few seasons.  SF seems to have taken a back seat to .. pretty much everything else really.  :(  Not that I'd mind another Mahoutsukai no Yome of course, but that's not happening either.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Wedgy said:

That Madoka Magica sequel is looking verily tempting. 

It’s being described as a side-story rather than an actual sequel and I believe is based on a mobile game, but Madoka, Homura & Kyubey all have roles to play so I’m definitely curious.

9 hours ago, efaardvark said:

I’ve also heard of one called Koisuru Shouwakusei coming up.  Not sure when it is coming out but it is astronomy themed

The PV looks like it could be Yuru Camp but with star gazing instead of camping, so yeah I’ll be checking it out too.

9 hours ago, efaardvark said:

Right now I'm still waiting for Bookworm to finish so that's about where I am in the greater flow of anime.  :)  

This one is getting into some deeper territory as the season draws to close and is becoming one of my favorites. IMO it’s doing right what If It’s for my Daughter ... did wrong. As far as some other cute girl series from this season, Average Abilities isekai & After School Dice Club are at least fairly enjoyable.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 2

Not gonna lie, I thought this winter was going to be slow for anime but I'm so glad to be wrong. Obviously at the top of the list is Boku no Hero Academia, it's just something about seeing each hero develop that makes me want more. Second is Haikyuu!!: To the Top, I fell of this anime awhile back but than binged all the way to the latest season and now I want more. Ahiru no Sora!!!!!! is one of the best new anime to come out that people don't know about, can't wait until they find out so I can say "I knew it was good" LOL. ID:INVADED is next on the list, the illustrations look good and I've been in need of a good mystery anime. Lastly is Radiant, I never saw season one but I've always wanted too.

• Like 2

On 12/12/2019 at 2:48 PM, King_Sama said:

ID:INVADED is next on the list, the illustrations look good and I've been in need of a good mystery anime. 

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-12-13/funimation-to-stream-id-invaded-virtual-world-suspense-anime-1st-2-episodes-for-24-hours/.154336

• Like 2

On 12/12/2019 at 3:49 AM, Wedgy said:

That Madoka Magica sequel is looking verily tempting. 

It will be on both CR & Funi (though it looks like there might be a week delay on CR)

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2019/12/19/magia-record-puella-magi-madoka-magica-side-story-anime-is-coming-to-crunchyroll

https://www.funimation.com/blog/2019/12/06/winter-2020-anime-funimation-my-hero-academia-plunderer-black-clover-more/

Edited by Ohiotaku

Natsunagu! I'm always up for a good slice of life anime and with only 3 minutes per episode, it's perfect for me.

Isekai quartet 2 is not really something i'm looking forward to but the first one was fun to watch so there's that.

Pet sounds interersting and the manga was recommended to me but i never really had the time to read it.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2019 at 12:32 AM, efaardvark said:

Of the ones you listed I kind of liked Yuru Camp so Heya will probably get a watch.  I've also heard of one called Koisuru Shouwakusei coming up.  Not sure when it is coming out but it is astronomy-themed and sounds vaguely like Sora no Manimani, which I kind of liked.  I'll probably check that out.

Both have been confirmed for Crunchyroll <breathes sigh of relief>
https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2019/12/30/crunchyroll-adds-room-camp-asteroid-in-love-and-more-to-winter-2020-lineup

• Like 1

Definitely looking forward to more My Hero Academia; still binge watching it, though. I've let my schedule go somewhat awry - something to focus on I guess! Otherwise, I'm not quite sure... I suppose Haikyu!!: To the Top might be good, but guess I'll see 😄

• Like 1

On 12/22/2019 at 5:48 AM, Illusion of Terra said:

Finally got around to looking at some of them. I haven't read about all of them, but from what I've seen I thought these two seemed interesting

Somali and the Forest Spirit

For those subscribing to Crunchyroll or VRV it apparently got an early release today   https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2020/01/02-1/somali-and-the-forest-spirit-episode-1-debuts-on-crunchyroll-a-week-ahead-of-japan
I’ll have to check it out this evening.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ohiotaku said:

For those subscribing to Crunchyroll or VRV it apparently got an early release today   https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2020/01/02-1/somali-and-the-forest-spirit-episode-1-debuts-on-crunchyroll-a-week-ahead-of-japan
I’ll have to check it out this evening.

I saw that!

Now I just have to decide if I want to start watching it now or wait and binge it, assuming I can.  Wait I mean.  :) 

On 12/12/2019 at 12:32 AM, efaardvark said:

Koisuru Shouwakusei

In addition to the factoids in the main series, there will be a series of educational shorts https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-01-03/asteroid-in-love-tv-anime-gets-educational-shorts/.155018

Unfortunately, they don’t seem to be included on CR & the video in the article isn’t subtitled. Hopefully one will show up on Youtube eventually.

• Like 1

Any of you guys seen the first episode of Somali and the Forest Spirit?

Spoiler

I enjoyed it overall but it kinda felt like a mashup of things that I've already seen before. The whole freeing a slave in a new magical world thing seems like it has been done a couple of times (Ancient Magus' Bride and to some extent Shield Hero recently). I'm curious to see what the whole Golem life span that the trailer mentioned will be like. Biggest thing so far is that it might end up being generally enjoyable but not really original in a way.

Edited by Illusion of Terra

I’d commented on it in the currently watching thread.

Somali & the Forest Spirit - definitely getting a Miyazaki vibe from this series (Spirited Away in particular).  The concept & visual style really stand out, but the feelz felt a bit off target for me (similar to A Centaur’s Life). Still, with as much potential as it has, will give it 6 episodes at minimum.

On 1/4/2020 at 2:53 PM, Illusion of Terra said:

Any of you guys seen the first episode of Somali and the Forest Spirit?

Hide contents

I enjoyed it overall but it kinda felt like a mashup of things that I've already seen before. ...

I actually had that kind of feeling as well.  The scene where Somali was chasing the cat strongly reminded me of a similar cat-following scene at the beginning of Mimi wo Sumaseba (Whisper of the Heart).  I get definite Goblin Slayer vibes from the golem too.

The really strange part is that I've gotten a similar feel from stories in a somewhat different context.  I was once asked to read and evaluate a couple (text) stories written by an AI.  The AI had "read" a large number of (human-written) stories and supposedly could write new ones.  The stories it produced had a similar "mashup" quality to them.  Maybe the AI got loose and is now producing anime?  :D 

Not that I have anything against Somali at this point.  They all get the 3-episode rule applied before I make any lasting judgement and I've only seen the one episode so far.  I just thought it interesting that we had similar first impressions.

• Like 1

Keep Your Hands of Eizouken seems like it will be one of the season’s most “unique” series. Focusing on a couple girls who aspire to be animators in order to share the worlds they see in their imaginations. The art style may put some people off, but it’s clearly an stylistic choice. 

I wasn’t as “wow-ed” by it as some on CR, but still see how it really stands out.

Edited by Ohiotaku

Word of warning: anyone who found 7 Deadly Sins too pervy needs to avoid Plunderer 🤣

Bofuri is CGDVRMMO 😊 First episode was enjoyable enough, but they’re going to have to shake things up a bit to keep it from getting stale (at least it’s not another isekai since she can log out)

Disappointed by 1st ep of Orphen. Hadn’t watched the original series, but PVs made it look kinda interesting. 3 episode rule in effect.

Magia Record - visually impressive, need to see more to make up my mind about characters/story. You need to have seen Madoka to really get.

Seton Academy - need to turn off your brain if you want to enjoy. Even then found it pretty annoying at first. Warmed a bit to it later, so will give at least one more week.

Continuing to enjoy the Re:ZERO rebroadcast (though it’s new to me :P )

Edited by Ohiotaku

23 hours ago, EvaUnit69 said:

Also super excited for Infinite Dendrogram.

While the episode itself wasn’t all that exciting, it definitely piqued my curiosity. Specifically with the level of individuality attributed to the NPCs (Tians) & the extent to which a players’ actions can change the game’s world

funny how the MC’s brother inadvertantly created the quest through his actions. Also curious whether “the man wearing glasses” who sent Lili to the orchard just made an honest mistake or if he’s an antagonist who “plays” by causing problems for Tians and other players

Edited by Ohiotaku

1 hour ago, Ohiotaku said:

While the episode itself wasn’t all that exciting, it definitely piqued my curiosity. Specifically with the level of individuality attributed to the NPCs (Tians) & the extent to which a players’ actions can change the game’s world

Reveal hidden contents

funny how the MC’s brother inadvertantly created the quest through his actions. Also curious whether “the man wearing glasses” who sent Lili to the orchard just made an honest mistake or if he’s an antagonist who “plays” by causing problems for Tians and other players

The fact that they are supposed to be close to human consciousness will hopefully lead to some interesting plot point that tackle what it means to be alive and to be human. In an age where AI is already kinda everywhere, I am excited to see what kind of moral dilemmas the anime will tackle.

Spoiler

And that possibility of the players actions as villians means the world cannot run out of quests as its all consequence based. I am so so so excited to see where this anime goes.

• Like 1

I'm really looking forward for the new Madoka Magika sequel and also Haikyuu! (even though I haven't watched all seasons).

Darwin's Game seems interesting as well, as so for the Ahiru no Sora one. 

I'll probabily binge-watch some of the animes from this season. :D

• 4 weeks later...