What controversies are dividing the anime community

SeinenViewer

I think you have covered some of the prominent ones. I myself would say Dubs vs Subs, Amount of Fanservice, Remasters/Reboots/Adaptations (such as Netflix), how much progressive/LGBT stuff in anime, and one that's not that prominent but it might be controversial is Western anime. Something people here kinda disagree on are how many episodes shows should have 😂

I haven't seen too much stuff of people arguing whether anime is cartoons or not within the anime community, but definitely outside of it.

Pretty much any fandom has these sort of issues (what’s currently going on with Star Wars for example). For the most part I try not to pay too much attention to them. I have my own opinions/tastes and find it easier to interact some people of course, but anime (and the larger medium of animation in my case) is so varied I have to believe there’s something to suit everyone.

18 hours ago, The History Kid said:

I don't know that I'd call any of these "controversies."  A controversy implies malicious intent or questionable means and methodology.  I think this is more of a preference thing.

The biggest problems that divide the anime community is self-division, superiority complexes, and double standards.

Self-division, basically because you have different thoughts and opinions on a different series or franchise, even down to characters.  Which leads to the superiority complex (which ties into what serge was saying) with people insisting that their opinion is superior to another.  Likewise, that can be taken into various other series.  I don't believe that any one franchise has a more toxic fandom than another.  They all seem to suck or rock about the same.  Most of the people who practice this superiority trait then also impose double standards, but in anime - especially North America - there are two folds of double standards there.

The first comes in the form of the fans that point out technical flaw in a series they don't find as "entertaining" to them as their own preference.  Yet, they ignore the technical flaws of their own and make excuses for it.  The second comes from the industry, and it's honestly my biggest pet peeve.  I believe almost every single voice actor and actress I've seen on Twitter touting about various social justice of some form and totally omit that stance when dealing with characters in their own line of work.  These people are nothing short of hypocrites.

At any rate, those are my big three things that are damaging the industry.

I think, as far as I understood you, this could also tie in, or rather is directly related with the prominent 'elitism' in the anime community. While anyone can say that someone else's fav. show is trash or what not, there definitely are very, very hardcore elitists who seem to be on a quest to desperately find the anime that they can say is perfect in every whatsoever (whatever that's supposed to mean...) while they try 'enlighten' everyone that everything else is trash.

They're usually not that hypocritical because they are pretty clear on what they think is 'objectively good' animation, characters, story, etc...  and are usually fairly consistent about it, however I think their premise, that they, through whatever divine intervention, know what is good and what is not, is simply fallacious.

While the idea of discussing anime and somehow deducing what can be considered good (not what people have to like but of what we can say that it has good writing and what not) is important, these elitists seem to have done that by themselves rather than as part of the community and just split the community unnecessarily.

• Like 2

I don't have a top five, but I'd like to add the concept of "filler."

Some people like it, because it gives them something to watch while waiting for the story, or they might think it adds the characters and their personalities. Others hate it because it doesn't progress the plot and or it is really not even referenced later in the series.

I can give or take it. If it's fun, I'll enjoy it. Or if it does give insight into the characters, that's cool. If it's just

Oh, and the obligatory beach episode. This may fall under the "fan service" umbrella, though XD

• Like 1