Best of 2019

Ohayotaku

So what were the Best/Most Memorable anime of 2019 in everyone’s opinion? Mine are:

1. Vinland Saga

2. Demon Slayer (Kimetsu  no Yaiba)

3. Dororo

4. Attack on Titan season 3

5. Fruits Basket (2019)

6. Rising of the Shield Hero

7.  Reincarnated as a Slime (2nd cour)

8. Dr. Stone

9. Star Blazers 2202

10. Mob Psycho 100 season 2

Pleasant Surprises:

1. My Roommate is a Cat

2. Ascendance of a Bookworm

3. Welcome to Demon School, Iruma-kun

4. The Ones Within (Nakanohito Genome)

5. Carole & Tuesday

Disappointments:

1. Fire Force

2. To the Abandoned Sacred Beasts

3. One Punch Man season 2

4. Bokuben season 2

5. Fate Grand Order: Absolute Demonic Front Babylonia

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 2

Can't really make a definite list with a ranking nor have I thought deeply about it but I liked:

Araburu Kisetsu no Otome-domo yo (though I wasn't a fan of the last 3 or so eps.)

Kimetsu no Yaiba

One Punch Man Season 2 (held my expectations low since I heard some bad suff, so I was pleasantly surprised!)

Yakusoku no Neverland

Dororo

Tate no Yuusha (even though I think it's not that good, I kinda liked it...)

Kaguya sama

And there's Boogiepop 2019... it's kind of in a limbo of being good and bad. Having read the novels beforehand (and I loved them. not just as good LN but as good books in general) I was kinda disappointed by all the good and important stuff that they had left out to the point that I actually think they made it unnecessarily confusing and weird. But the mood, meaning the music and how they framed everything was so well done IMO that I kinda enjoyed it even though I cringed every time they realized what they had cut out.

I already forgot a bunch of shows that come out this year and that I had watched but if I forgot them, they probably didn't leave much of an impression on me...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2019 at 10:32 AM, leinwandname said:

And there's Boogiepop 2019... it's kind of in a limbo of being good and bad. Having read the novels beforehand (and I loved them. not just as good LN but as good books in general) I was kinda disappointed by all the good and important stuff that they had left out to the point that I actually think they made it unnecessarily confusing and weird. But the mood, meaning the music and how they framed everything was so well done IMO that I kinda enjoyed it even though I cringed every time they realized what they had cut out.

I’m not familiar with the LNs but had watched the  original anime & was largely confused by it. I had an easier time with the update, but yeah, was obvious parts were being left out. I enjoyed certain arcs a good bit, but others not so much. I think my favorite was with Scarecrow & Pigeon and wish it had been longer. Really enjoyed tge opening & closing songs for the 2019 version.

Edited by Ohiotaku

On 1/8/2020 at 3:03 AM, Ohiotaku said:

I’m not familiar with the LNs but had watched the  original anime & was largely confused by it. I had an easier time with the update, but yeah, was obvious parts were being left out. I enjoyed certain arcs a good bit, but others not so much. I think my favorite was with Scarecrow & Pigeon and wish it had been longer. Really enjoyed tge opening & closing songs for the 2019 version.

It is a confusing series though. With fast changes in time and POV character in a short amount of time - not unlike Baccano but the anime fails to tie everything together. However, even the novels leave several things open and unanswered, very much intentional since its a long story where things get indirectly answered in later books (I've read only to book 6 so far and the anime leaves one arc out [a really good and important one!]). I can only recommend the LN; not only as good LNs but as good books in general with great writing.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had a quite interesting conversation with an acquaintance of mine who exclaimed Demon Slayer to be the best anime of 2019 even going as far to claim it's the best anime overall. We obviously had differing views and opinions on things hence I highly recommended him to watch Vinland Saga as well as Dororo. If we go by statistics like the one on MAL - it's ratings are at the top and even old renowned anime have been pushed back on the list. To be bluntly honest, Demon Slayer's hype is partly justified but it was just people giving it too much credits. The 19 episode of Demon Slayer (fight with rui) was not inferior nor superior to for instance Attack on Titan 3rd Season (kenny's squad vs levi). 

But this is merely my opinion, perhaps reading the manga too far ahead had an impact towards my view on Demon Slayer. I missed out on Fire Force due to lack of time but will probably wait for a 2nd season so I can binge watch it in one-go.

My favorite best anime in 2019 are listed in a similar order to @Ohiotaku list but Dororo is on second place and Demon Slayer on third. Vinland Saga did not disappoint me at all. Unfortunately, I did not watch Dr.Stone and also dropped Reincarnation as a Slime.

Other than that there are still a couple other remarkable mentions such as Neverland and Shield Hero as well as Attack on Titan 3rd Season. Diamond no Ace 3rd Season and Black Clover are both long-term series which had been airing throughout the whole 2019, thus included in the list.

Edited by Muco
  • Like 1