The Seven Deadly Sins

VampireKnight19

Mixed feelings for me. Storyline seems fairly typical shonen fare though I would still rate it slightly above average. The action sequences and fights are well animated and are one of the series strongest points. As far as the characters, I like most of them (Ban & Escanor are personal faves). But I have a genuine dislike for Gowther. And then there are the 2 leads: Melodias &  Elizabeth. Individually they’re not that bad, but I just find their interactions spacer.png

outside of the stereotypical rescues, it pretty much consists of Melodias shoving his head under her skirt & her responding with “Oh, you <tee, hee>”. In close to 40 years of watching anime, I’m no stranger to fanservice & ecchiness and even find it entertaining at times. But the brainlessness of these repeated scenes and the fact that the viewer is supposed to see them as a genuinely romantic couple is just insulting.

Overall rating probably a 6.5/10

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Agree 2

21 minutes ago, Wedgy said:

Took the words right out of my mouth. I really hate when anime does this. With this being an actual societal issue in Japan itself, you'd think there would be a little more effort to provide better representation to impressionable youth. Pretty disgusting and irresponsible in my opinion. 

Ban does some embarrassing things to Jericho, but at least she responds by getting pissed off by it. Elizabeth is clearly embarrassed and uncomfortable, but never gets mad about it. 

Yeah, I wasn't really a fan. Watched the first season in English on Netflix a few years back. Needless to say, I was not impressed.  At the anime con I go to every year, it was all the buzz. Even had two voice actors at a panel raving about how they had the hots for Ban. It was just....not for me. 

I have many problems with the anime.  Part of it is the Meliodas/Elizabeth thing...I honestly can't call that fan service. Fan service is usually ecchi for the sake of comedy...that is just perverted stalker creep. Makes me think of a nasty guy in a van doing the dirty to himself while fantasizing about the schoolgirl he's stalking. It just grosses me out.  I call that creep service.  Another part is the story just really isn't there. It's definitely Shounen which isn't my thing to begin with (I have enjoyed some in the past) but a lot of the fighting, especially between Meliodas and Ban is pointless. Then, Ban. I'll get hate for this but he's really not.....all that.....  I think his real appeal to most women is his undying loyalty to "his true love" but their love story wasn't really that endearing and he isn't that deep of a character. Then the story...didn't really grab me. 

I know some people like it. Takes all kinds of kinds.  I just have a different set of standards for the anime I watch these days. 

• Agree 2