What is something you're passionate about?

SerpentGod

Watching anime 😂

Seriously though, unfortunately I don't have much time, so I guess watching anime could be considered the only thing I really enjoy doing and have time for nowadays. But I wouldn't consider myself an expert on it, especially compared to elders here like @Ohiotaku 😂 

Edited by Illusion of Terra

3 hours ago, Illusion of Terra said:

Watching anime 😂

Seriously though, unfortunately I don't have much time, so I guess watching anime could be considered the only thing I really enjoy doing and have time for nowadays. But I wouldn't consider myself an expert on it, especially compared to elders here like @Ohiotaku 😂 

My knowledge of anime is not so much a matter of passion as watching it longer than a lot of folks here gave been alive and not having a social life 😂 Even so, there are a number of well known series I haven’t seen or finished (watched Madoka for the first time just months ago).

I’ve been fascinated with animation (not just anime) for as long as I can remember though.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, The History Kid said:

I'm of the school of thought that suggest claiming expertise can lead to the stalling of knowledge.  Thus, I claim expertise in nothing.  I have knowledge in many things, but I would never claim to know everything about something - the implication of being an expert.  I have many passions, not sure I could narrow them all down to just one key thing, though.

I like this; I agree. Every time I feel like I'm an expert in rock culture, music, and especially guitar culture, I always discover something new. I like this 'school of thought' as you say, I like it alot.

• Like 1

I happen to be quite a huge fan and advocate for homemade bread. It is delicious and waaaay cheaper than store bought. Plus, it's a lot of fun.

I'm also quite passionate about giraffes, with an ever growing collection of various giraffe related items.

• Like 3
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1

On 1/10/2020 at 7:27 PM, Kohloo said:

I happen to be quite a huge fan and advocate for homemade bread. It is delicious and waaaay cheaper than store bought. Plus, it's a lot of fun.

I'm also quite passionate about giraffes, with an ever growing collection of various giraffe related items.

this is so random, which makes it so hilarious 😂 go giraffes! and homemade bread is fantastic!

On 1/10/2020 at 10:27 AM, Kohloo said:

I happen to be quite a huge fan and advocate for homemade bread.

I recently had a chance to try pine bark bread.  I know, sounds tasty right?  Lots of fiber.   🤣  Actually wasn't too bad.  Similar in texture to something like rye, but with definite pine aroma and taste.   The person I got the sample from said you can also use the unleavened dough to make crackers.

• Like 1

</me actually reads the topic title for a change.  😮 >

If I had to pick one thing it is that I'm passionate about the future.  Charles Kettering, an engineer and inventor once said, "My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Same here.  And by extension science, technology, and especially space. 

From everything I've read and heard, the type of future we'll have is overwhelmingly determined by the human population of the planet.  There's already way too many people on the planet to live "naturally", so we have to somehow learn to be more efficient with what we have.  Science and technology can and has been helping with that.  A lot. 

However, that's not enough.  No matter how small an environmental footprint an individual has, when multiplied by the billions and billions of us it always adds up to "too much".  And the population in most parts of the world just keeps growing exponentially.  (Worldwide it is just over 1%/year last I checked.)  True the population is showing signs of an S-curve, but that just means we're already running into resource limits.  Worse, our economy and social structures are all geared towards infinite expansion as well.  Companies have to grow profits year over year over year.  The Fed targets a 2% per year expansion of the economy and panics if you even mention the word "deflation". 

Unfortunately the simple fact is that there can be no such thing as infinite growth on a finite planet, and we never learned how to live sustainably on our own without nature taking drastic measures to keep us in check.  I'd rather we learned how to live sustainably and comfortably.  Certainly we should give up on boneheaded, wasteful ideas like "consumerism", and burning "fossil" fuels for energy.  Thing is, we don't show many signs of doing so at the scale necessary.  Likely we don't have the time to do so at this point even if we wanted to, at least not without major disruptions and severe consequences.

So that just leaves one place to go for the resources.  Or rather, everywhere but one.  We need to get into space in a huge way.  Industry would work better and certainly pollute the Earth less if moved to space anyway, provided it has a resource base to work with.  I've spent pretty much my entire career working with projects that help us learn how to operate in space and to explore space.  My favorite projects have always been either the ones like Pathfinder or Deep Space One (and later Dawn) that test out new technologies or ones like MRO, Odyssey, or LRO that find and map out where the basic resources like water and thorium are.  Also of course the projects that help better manage the resources we have here on here on Earth.  I love seeing the advancements made by companies like SpaceX and Blue Origin.  We need to do this.

Edited by efaardvark
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 2 months later...

I've got quite a few passions but my main ones at the moment are community involvement i.e. advocacy for issues like homelessness, human trafficking, child abuse, mental health awareness, etc., improving my health & getting in better shape, learning different languages, music, scary pc games, cooking, and anime. 

• Like 2
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 2

On 1/4/2020 at 6:49 PM, SerpentGod said:

What hobbies, activities, or subject matters are you passionate about? What do you consider yourself an expert on, or want to be an expert at?

probably art, and making games

those two are my main passion

..maybe playing game's and animu too xD

as for activities, i think im an expert at being average at anything i do, gimme something to do, ill fail it, but i also will pass it, im an averagist (that's a new word now xD), being the average guy who can do anything -- but not excell at anything, is what i am made for ;o

• Silly 1
  • Friendly 1

I am not an expert at anything... though, i am pretty good at spouting out nonsense.

I used to be passionate about gaming but that has gone down rapidly

My main passions currently, are Anime, Manga and stats. Idk, i just like tracking my winrate, how much ive spent on my collection, see the stats in graphs etc. I aspire to become a data-analist but because I had health problems for years I'm a little bit behind.

Edited by Humbby

im passionate about the hidden web and alternative web protocols! i think peer2peer networks and tor are just neat.

not that im doing anything illegal, i just hate ISP's and their ruling of an iron fist on webhosting. theyve made it more and more difficult over the years to personally host your own pages, with bandwidth restrictions, requiring you to pay for business packages, and censorship. i miss the decentralized internet from the beginning days, theres a new protocol im really into that works peer2peer that i nerd a lot about.

im also passionate about idk, permaculture i guess. i like learning to support myself in ways that don't harm or help the environment. i like lettin the weeds grow, i like natural home pesticides, i try to divert waste by recycling and composting, i like planting native plants, i like making use of the weeds. its something that's really helped me cope these past few years, nature is always giving.

• Like 1

Im boring

watching anime , drawing animation, badminton , and playing my violin

:) and also laying on my bed doing nothing while staring at the ceiling

Edited by Anime loveer
  • Like 1

I'm pretty passionate about art and games. Also upcoming anime(s) (Duh)

But if it's about something more specific then I'd say Astronomy and Archeological stuffs. There's just always something very soothing and interesting about them. Like how big is this universe and how you don't have the knowledge of it. And curiosity will just get you hyped up. Not only that It's also very beautiful. It's something you can't find anywhere else unless you look up.

As for Archeology, The secrets of this earth yet to be unsolved, Doesn't it make everything super interesting? (At least it does for me) Like how many tribes were there, What kind of Culture they had, What belief they took themselves into, What magical things that they witnessed, What sort of World was it back then.

I think if there's some other thing I'm passionate about then it's Art. I like drawing. That's just pretty much it. I find it relaxing enough to put me out of stress. Even though sometimes it can be source of stress when you hit artblock.

(Sorry I guess I'm a little too talktive because of the quarantine)

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Shejoestar said:

I think if there's some other thing I'm passionate about then it's Art. I like drawing. That's just pretty much it. I find it relaxing enough to put me out of stress. Even though sometimes it can be source of stress when you hit artblock.

(Sorry I guess I'm a little too talktive because of the quarantine)

I hope we get to see some of your artwork in the future :D I agree though, art blocks are super annoying.

I'm passionate about learning. I'm naturally quite curious. Sometimes it can be annoying to people. Sometimes I think I am invasive (if so I am sorry in advance but once I am interested in something I dive right in). 

I too am passionate about art, history, languages and psychology. 

• Awesome (Sugoi) 1

1 hour ago, Nyxnine said:

I hope we get to see some of your artwork in the future :D I agree though, art blocks are super annoying.

I too am passionate about art, history, languages and psychology. 

Roger doger. Haha. I'll work hard so it's worth posting. 

History Rocks!

• Friendly 1

12 hours ago, Shejoestar said:

Roger doger. Haha. I'll work hard so it's worth posting. 

History Rocks!

Lol, don't go out of your way! It would be cool to see. 

11 hours ago, The History Kid said:

Now, y'all aren't just saying that because I'm here, right? ;)

Maybe I need to start writing stuff up again for the history club.

;)

Actually, I really like art history. I've also taken a lot of courses that tie into religious studies and art...religion in general and have taken some American history while in university. But, I won't lie that wasn't my favorite class :/

I get more into it when you dive into the why and the societal development at the time more so then just timelines? So one or two classes in a basic subject wasn't enough and the idea of being a historian is overwhelming to me. XD 

if that makes sense. (You must know a lot of a given subject). 

I didn't realize we have a history club (lol knowing me I probably joined and forgot about it.)

you would hope your passions had some greater universal goal, but I think it should ultimately be more selfish as a start to become a passion and the rest just follows. 

Edited by Nyxnine
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, The History Kid said:

Now, y'all aren't just saying that because I'm here, right? ;)

Maybe I need to start writing stuff up again for the history club.

Hey, We're all in the same interest circle so why not. Hahaha.

Wow, That sounds great. I've always been interested in cultural history. Tribes and Buildings, Tradition all that stuffs. Like, Sometimes you really need to look back to see if something really matters and it is worth it to do so with History. Feels like adventure, you know.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

My undergrad degrees were actually history and art history.  I hold BA's in both.  In fact, it was the Art History degree that got me my current job, not the History one.  My Masters supersedes the history degree, and that's where my military history expertise comes in.  But, while in undergrad, I took dozens of classical history and religious history courses.  Both my undergrad universities were Catholic (which was awkward for an Evangelical), so they put a lot of emphasis on religion in those courses.

That's amazing! You have more respect from me now bwahah (JK)...I struggled with doing a degree in art history out of fear of never finding a job after. It's amazing that it helped you find something that seemingly wouldn't correlate, at least to me - beyond "history degree".

I'm agnostic, and so learning about all religions is a passion of mine :P

Again, I like to know why people think/like/react the way they do, it would be uncouth of me if I at least didn't understand such a big aspect of a person's world view. 

33 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

You have to learn how to market your degrees.  That's not just history or art history - it's every degree.  Liberal arts in general does a poor job preparing a student for a perspective employer. 

This is so true 😂 the amount of bs I see on resumes or I have to put into applications for funding is ludicrous. The most recent PhD student in our group had a CV which made you think she was a modern day Aristotle 😂 at the end of the day though she was just a usual PhD student. In academia at least, even if you are passionate about your subject, knowing how to sell it well is part of how to get money for your passion

• Like 1

I have many passions learning and helping others to learn is a big one. Though when it comes to my more specific passions of interest that would be science, technology, art, writing. I understand a couple of those are quite broad, but hey I like learning about them all. 

• Like 1

Once upon a time I used to enjoy songwriting and dabbled in music for a while (mainly hip hop). I'm told I was pretty good too but life takes you by the scruff of the neck and you end up doing other things. I had a year in secondary school where I was obsessed with theoretical physics and spent tons of time reading up on all sorts of stuff, even wanting to become an astrophysict when I was older. Then I went to college and realised I'm actually terrible at Maths lol.  I think these days I enjoy writing, or more specifically world building. I do A LOT of world building in my head, not so much gets put to paper lol. The main difference with writing is I'm actually decent at it, I'm just lazy.