SerpentGod

What is something you're passionate about?

What hobbies, activities, or subject matters are you passionate about? What do you consider yourself an expert on, or want to be an expert at?

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Watching anime 😂

Seriously though, unfortunately I don't have much time, so I guess watching anime could be considered the only thing I really enjoy doing and have time for nowadays. But I wouldn't consider myself an expert on it, especially compared to elders here like @Ohiotaku 😂 

Edited by Illusion of Terra

I'm of the school of thought that suggest claiming expertise can lead to the stalling of knowledge.  Thus, I claim expertise in nothing.  I have knowledge in many things, but I would never claim to know everything about something - the implication of being an expert.  I have many passions, not sure I could narrow them all down to just one key thing, though.

3 hours ago, Illusion of Terra said:

Watching anime 😂

Seriously though, unfortunately I don't have much time, so I guess watching anime could be considered the only thing I really enjoy doing and have time for nowadays. But I wouldn't consider myself an expert on it, especially compared to elders here like @Ohiotaku 😂 

My knowledge of anime is not so much a matter of passion as watching it longer than a lot of folks here gave been alive and not having a social life 😂 Even so, there are a number of well known series I haven’t seen or finished (watched Madoka for the first time just months ago).

I’ve been fascinated with animation (not just anime) for as long as I can remember though.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, The History Kid said:

I'm of the school of thought that suggest claiming expertise can lead to the stalling of knowledge.  Thus, I claim expertise in nothing.  I have knowledge in many things, but I would never claim to know everything about something - the implication of being an expert.  I have many passions, not sure I could narrow them all down to just one key thing, though.

I like this; I agree. Every time I feel like I'm an expert in rock culture, music, and especially guitar culture, I always discover something new. I like this 'school of thought' as you say, I like it alot.

I happen to be quite a huge fan and advocate for homemade bread. It is delicious and waaaay cheaper than store bought. Plus, it's a lot of fun.

I'm also quite passionate about giraffes, with an ever growing collection of various giraffe related items.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2020 at 7:27 PM, Kohloo said:

I happen to be quite a huge fan and advocate for homemade bread. It is delicious and waaaay cheaper than store bought. Plus, it's a lot of fun.

I'm also quite passionate about giraffes, with an ever growing collection of various giraffe related items.

this is so random, which makes it so hilarious 😂 go giraffes! and homemade bread is fantastic!

On 1/10/2020 at 10:27 AM, Kohloo said:

I happen to be quite a huge fan and advocate for homemade bread.

I recently had a chance to try pine bark bread.  I know, sounds tasty right?  Lots of fiber.   🤣  Actually wasn't too bad.  Similar in texture to something like rye, but with definite pine aroma and taste.   The person I got the sample from said you can also use the unleavened dough to make crackers.

Oh! I've made crackers before! I have a recipe kicking around somewhere to use the discard from my sourdough starter for crackers. I like them, but I usually don't bother making them haha

</me actually reads the topic title for a change.  😮 >

If I had to pick one thing it is that I'm passionate about the future.  Charles Kettering, an engineer and inventor once said, "My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Same here.  And by extension science, technology, and especially space. 

From everything I've read and heard, the type of future we'll have is overwhelmingly determined by the human population of the planet.  There's already way too many people on the planet to live "naturally", so we have to somehow learn to be more efficient with what we have.  Science and technology can and has been helping with that.  A lot. 

However, that's not enough.  No matter how small an environmental footprint an individual has, when multiplied by the billions and billions of us it always adds up to "too much".  And the population in most parts of the world just keeps growing exponentially.  (Worldwide it is just over 1%/year last I checked.)  True the population is showing signs of an S-curve, but that just means we're already running into resource limits.  Worse, our economy and social structures are all geared towards infinite expansion as well.  Companies have to grow profits year over year over year.  The Fed targets a 2% per year expansion of the economy and panics if you even mention the word "deflation". 

Unfortunately the simple fact is that there can be no such thing as infinite growth on a finite planet, and we never learned how to live sustainably on our own without nature taking drastic measures to keep us in check.  I'd rather we learned how to live sustainably and comfortably.  Certainly we should give up on boneheaded, wasteful ideas like "consumerism", and burning "fossil" fuels for energy.  Thing is, we don't show many signs of doing so at the scale necessary.  Likely we don't have the time to do so at this point even if we wanted to, at least not without major disruptions and severe consequences.

So that just leaves one place to go for the resources.  Or rather, everywhere but one.  We need to get into space in a huge way.  Industry would work better and certainly pollute the Earth less if moved to space anyway, provided it has a resource base to work with.  I've spent pretty much my entire career working with projects that help us learn how to operate in space and to explore space.  My favorite projects have always been either the ones like Pathfinder or Deep Space One (and later Dawn) that test out new technologies or ones like MRO, Odyssey, or LRO that find and map out where the basic resources like water and thorium are.  Also of course the projects that help better manage the resources we have here on here on Earth.  I love seeing the advancements made by companies like SpaceX and Blue Origin.  We need to do this.

Edited by efaardvark
  • Agree 1