A:TLA live-action redux (Netflix)

The infamous M. Night Shyamalan film is 10 years behind us, but even if you're not familiar with the legendary Nick cartoon, you're no doubt aware of the epic dumpster fire its adaptation was. It was announced in Sept 2019 that Netflix would be taking the reigns to do right by a live-action adaptation, this time as a proper, multi-season series helmed by none other than the original co-creators, Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. 

Avatar-The-Last-Air-Bender-Netflix.thumb.jpg.566abddaa6f731bf04ec9517733fe19f.jpg

While we've seen that authors of successful media playing a role in subsequent media doesn't explicitly guarantee it will be a hit, I have a good feeling about this given what we already know about this production. 

I've been making threads about Netflix's adaptations here on AF whenever one catches my attention. Obviously, the overdone Death Note film with a white-washed Kira and a demonic Willem Dafoe was less than stellar. However, I like to think we learn from mistakes, and Shyamalan's 2010 disaster provides a filmmakers' handbook for everything not to do. 

“We’re thrilled for the opportunity to helm this live-action adaptation of Avatar: The Last Airbender. We can’t wait to realize Aang’s world as cinematically as we always imagined it to be, and with a culturally appropriate, non-whitewashed cast.” 

After the dubious success of The Witcher with Henry Cavill, it might be appropriate to say that Netflix has had a better track record adapting full series rather than standalone films. Taking up such a highly regarded title while the wounds of a passionate fanbase still burn at the butchering of Aang's name (the least of its crimes, to be clear,) those in charge of the project are well-aware of the responsibility they hold to do this series justice.

I'm taking my usual stance on this as I do with previous Netflix titles-- I reserve my judgement until I see the final product, which is still a long way off from now. But I do feel optimistic about this one. Granted I'm not what one might call a "superfan" - after all, I only watched the series for the first time in May 2019. I liked it, of course, and I never did subject myself to the full blast of the scorned film. 

What do you guys think? Predictions? Impressions? Are you a fan of the original series? What are your expectations? 

Edited by Wedgy

I’m definitely a fan of the original series. And I even tried watching that horrid film, which I turned off not even a 1/4 way in. 

A live-action series done by Netflix certainly seems...interesting. But I hardly doubt I’ll ever give it a watch. I’ve had my fill of the avatar stuff, I’m not really interested to watch more. 

Heck, I don’t even like watching Korra and have never bothered to finish that series, even though it’s enjoyable. 

I guess I’m just, over it?

20 minutes ago, Kohloo said:

I’m definitely a fan of the original series. And I even tried watching that horrid film, which I turned off not even a 1/4 way in. 

A live-action series done by Netflix certainly seems...interesting. But I hardly doubt I’ll ever give it a watch. I’ve had my fill of the avatar stuff, I’m not really interested to watch more. 

Heck, I don’t even like watching Korra and have never bothered to finish that series, even though it’s enjoyable. 

I guess I’m just, over it?

That's fair! Besides, it seems unlikely to me we'll see a 2020 release, since they're only just starting to film. If I had to guess, it might be a Q2 or even Q3 2021 release. 

Funny, I never watched Korra, either! It wasn't necessarily that I didn't want to watch it, in fact, I have the blurays sitting under my tv set right now (friend lent to us.) I just haven't found the time to dedicate to it. I heard some things about the series being frustrating to watch due to it wanting to be more but being unable to send the messages it wanted to because of its PG rating, so I wasn't in any hurry. I'll probably just end up giving them back. The only piece of hardware I have which can play them now is our Xbox, but it's not even connected and will soon be going in a box in the basement while we put our house on the market. I just can't be bothered to set it all up just to watch Korra.