Most Recent Movie Watched?

Kohloo

What movies have you seen recently, new or old? 

We most recently watched Monsters University, before that we watched Prometheus. Soon we'll watch Alien: Covenant and all of the Star Wars stuff.

The last movie we saw in theatres was Joker, awhile ago now.

• Like 2
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1

23 hours ago, Kohloo said:

we watched Prometheus. Soon we'll watch Alien: Covenant

I've actually seen Prometheus. What did you think of it? And let me know how it compares to Covenant.

Don't have any plans watching something in the near future though (might make an exception for Weathering With You 😂 )

Edited by Illusion of Terra

5 hours ago, Illusion of Terra said:

I've actually seen Prometheus. What did you think of it? And let me know how it compares to Covenant.

Don't have any plans watching something in the near future though (might make an exception for Weathering With You 😂 )

I actually really like Prometheus! It has a different feel, but it's still good. Not too sure when we'll get around to watching Covenant, but I can't wait :)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, IIVIsouljam said:

Just saw Klaus, which is some of the best animation I've seen in quite a bit. It's a fun movie with a lot of heart, definitely recommend it!

I watched it over the holidays as well & really enjoyed it. Very distinctive art style and a different take on the Santa Claus origin story. During the same time period I watched the latest adaptation of the Grinch which might’ve been impressive visually, but was bland & unappealing as far as the story & characterizations. Ironic that they attach Dr. Seuss’ name in the title, when it had the least in common with the original book.

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished "The Ramen Girl" on Hulu. Its an older movie starring the late Brittany Murphy. She did really well in this film, but I just like her as an actor anyway. The story was about a girl who had nothing, finding out about herself through her interactions in Japan in particular, at the ramen shop across from her apartment.

The cast is interesting, and the fact that the language barrier is not improved upon is hilarious. The characters are constantly talking without being understood. 

Anyway, it was a treat to finish. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2020 at 12:52 AM, CallMehChip said:

I've been watching a fair amount of foreign fills lately and came across the movie parasite. I can recommend to anyone in the mood for a thriller thats not quite as predictable as most movies today. :)

It's funny as we watched that movie at home. Really enjoyed it. 

Then a few weeks later, learned that it won best picture at the Oscars. 

Then I listened to a podcast about the director. And decided to watch his other films. They are excellent as well.

I recently watched Mother (2009). There is a movie with the same name so I added the year.

My Hero Academia: Heroes Rising

a huge improvement over the previous movie. Did a better job of giving everyone in Class 1A a way to contribute. And the CGI effects actually looked cool this time. The new villains were badass too (Mummy not so much though his quirk was ... interesting). This was also one of the better depictions of Bakugo, though I’m afraid having him & Deku share the spotlight so much will encourage the fujoshi fangirls 😂

My only complaints are that it was cliche at times, but given that it’s shonen, that’s kind of expected. And they had to do a major ass pull at the end to keep from irrevocably changing the direction of the series in a way that would probably PO a bunch of people 🤣

8.5/10

Edited by Ohiotaku

The last movie I watched was this Irish horror movie called, The Hole in the Ground. Creepy AF! I'm big into International horror films & this one is one of the best that I've come across in a while. The Hallow is another Irish horror film that I thought was excellent. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

jhunf9A.png?1

2000 (Rewatch)

Ah yes, your typical 2000s era blockbuster consisting of a thin plot that's a poor excuse for mediocre martial arts sequences playing to cheesy '90s pop songs. They would usually star popular celebrities at the time that weren't really top-billing enough to have their agents be picky about casting them in a film like this, such as the likes of America's Sweetheart at the time, Drew Barrymore, Cameron "There's Something About Mary" Diaz, and Lucy Liu coming off her "Couching Tiger" success. That's all you need to know about this movie really. It's not nearly as clever as it pretends to be in all its mocking of the earlier (and smarter) "Mission: Impossible" film adaptation or as funny either.

Being a 2000s blockbuster, there are also a number of other well-known celebrities you might recognize from that one movie, such as the likes of a not-so-popular-yet Sam Rockwell, LL Cool J off his "Deep Blue Sea" lackluster shark flick, Tim Curry off his lackluster "Congo" run, Matt LeBlanc still going strong with his circle of "Friends", and Bill Murray having his '80s star-power peak coming to its much delayed death (until "Lost in Translation" three years later anyway). They aren't really vying for an Oscar here, but they put enough effort to offer a few chuckles here and there.

But you know, it's not nearly as much of a trainwreck as I would have expected. It's cheesy, it's dumb, and it makes me wish I could have been doing something more meaningful with my life, but it's just decent enough to leave me with some appreciation for its script. For example, in spite of the overly sexualized wardrobe that would never be greenlighted in the likes of feminist 2010s, it's really the men here that are portrayed as the dumb furniture manipulated by their hormones (aside from Sam Rockwell, but he's a sex machine, so he doesn't count), so I feel that the more risqué aspect is somewhat justified as a playful take on female sexuality. I also like that not all the men here are portrayed as inherently nasty like some of the works I could think of in the 2010s, and you do have a nice healthy balance of relationships between both genders.

But when it comes down to it, it's still a dumb American blockbuster overshadowed by much more brilliant counterparts (Mission: Impossible for one thing), and it's no coincidence that a certain animated series inspired by "Charlie's Angels" that once aired on Disney Channel in my country (Totally Spies) was also overshadowed by a more brilliant and polished female spy counterpart (Kim Possible). It's just one of those films that tried to cash in on the star power and hope to make enough money back. Can't spell "Summer Blockbuster" any more than that.

★★½