Horror Games

Kohloo

Horror games: love em, hate em, can't get enough?

I've always wanted to enjoy horror games, but they always freak me out way too much, which is a shame. Soooo, I don't really play them!

I like reading horror, but so far I haven't been able to muster up the courage to actually play horror games haha. 

Do you have any favourite games from the horror genre?

As for me, the only ones I've really even tried are Silent Hill and Amnesia: The Dark Descent. The atmosphere and fog is what creeps me the heck out!!

• Like 1

On 1/10/2020 at 10:51 AM, Kohloo said:

Horror games: love em, hate em, can't get enough?

I've always wanted to enjoy horror games, but they always freak me out way too much, which is a shame. Soooo, I don't really play them!

I like reading horror, but so far I haven't been able to muster up the courage to actually play horror games haha. 

Do you have any favourite games from the horror genre?

As for me, the only ones I've really even tried are Silent Hill and Amnesia: The Dark Descent. The atmosphere and fog is what creeps me the heck out!!

I'm not really into horror.  Like fantasy, it is often hard for me to get invested in the story enough that the horror effect kicks in.  In movies I'm always laughing at the stupid things the characters do to get themselves in trouble.  It is hard to take movies seriously enough to get scared because anyone with any sense would never get themselves in such trouble in the first place!  I guess that counts as entertainment, but probably not the sort the producers intended.  The other problem is that often there is no story to speak of, and a whole movie of just gore, dark scenes, and jump-scares is pretty pointless, IMHO.  There are a few, like Poltergeist or Aliens, that I've liked.  As a class I also tend to enjoy zombie movies for their innate humor, intended or not.  But in general I usually avoid horror movies.

As for horror games..  In games it is a little different since the player is actually there in the situation and therefor a bit more involved and invested.  Again, I don't like the ones that are all black screens and jump-scares, or the ones that force me to do stupid stuff that gets me in trouble.  (Which would include not allowing me to do perfectly reasonable things that would keep me out of trouble.. like not letting me pick up that gun that's just lying on the desk.)  That said, games are a bit more attractive to me, and I'm actually kind of looking forward to trying out VR horror once I get my own rig set up.  Including seatbelts.  :)

• 1 month later...

I really enjoyed the Outlast games. They were supplemented by a lot of interesting backstory. Depending on the player, it can either creep you out, intrigue you, or just force you to nope it all the way to an uninstall.

For me, it both creeped me out and intrigued me. The story sold it for me, though.

• 1 month later...

These rpg classics have a special place in my nostalgic heart.

Mad Father

Ib

To The Moon

The Witch's House

Ao Oni

• Like 2

I used to play tons of SCP Containment Breach when I was in secondary school. It was in its beta stages back then and it's turned into a much better game. I'm a fan of SCP in general and like to read the wiki from time to time.

• Like 1

From the perspective of someone who is recently taken a interest in horror the genre itself games included I have to say I do very much enjoy them. The RE series being my favorite with tthe recent remakes of RE 2, and 3 it has reinvigorated my love for the genre. On the eastern front however which is where I tend to lean for my gaming my favorite horror title has to be corps party for sure. It is a very unique game with a even better story no spoilers here.

As far as the aspect of being scared thats why the genre is a thing though I too can, and do get unpleasantly startled with games of this nature so tthey are not by any means my number one go to. 

• Like 1

This sound gave me the best goosebumps while playing the original Silent Hill for the PS1 at midnight. Good times.

• 3 weeks later...

I highly recommend horror games like A Town of Light and Close to the Sun from the studio Wired Productions, A Town of Light isn't even that scary, but it tells a dark story and the little bit of horror that it has is a lot of fun. Close to the Sun is a lot more horror based, I'd even compare it to Bioshock without the ability to fight, run and gun everything down, but that's what makes it so good.  

• 2 years later...

Horror games scare me too much. lol Kind of funny, but I can never bring myself to play them. I tried with The Evil Within and had plenty of adrenaline flowing. Still need to beat it though. But that's the only horror game I've ever played in depth.

I played plenty of horror games myself. The survival-horror genre suits me the best in some way. Really feel that adrenaline pumping when hiding or running away from monsters and all ^^

Amnesia The Dark Descent was extremely scary in that way. I mean really...you can't even fight those monsters 😆

Also RE7: Biohazard / the Silent Hill series / The Evil Within / Alien: Isolation and the Outlast series were awesome as well.

For the people who like a more twisted, psychological and in some way a sick game I really want to recommend Shadow Man Remastered. I have it on Nintendo Switch 😉 It's pretty difficult in my opinion. I was struggeling as soon as I reached the first Boss Fight.

^^

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...