What Are You Reading?

Just picked up the books I was currently missing from the Leopard series by Christine Feehan. If anyone likes books based on shape shifters, survival, crime and romance I highly suggest any of her series. I actually believe her newest series isn't paranormal related at all. Sounds like a series about romance and biker guys, lmao.

Anyway, definitely check out her books (forwarn the romance parts can be quite detailed and may be a little much for some).

Started the 12 Kingdoms series,  (had an anime adaption) and its pretty good. Isekai before Isekai became a thing (well, the trope already existed but it wasn't a huge thing in the 90s) and with a female protagonist thrown without anything into a pretty dark world. Also, the language isn't too hard, though it uses a bit too few kanji which sometimes make it harder to understand. Also read the original novel of welcome to the NHK (way harder, with some pretty complex kanji) and it manages to be even more depressing. I heard the eng translation is pretty good, so I can only recommend it since it's genuinely a good novel completely detached from the anime.

I though about reading Earthsea some time ago, but I might finish the Arséne Lupin books before that. Really liking the gentleman criminal vibes; might prefer it over Sherlock Holmes even!

• 4 weeks later...

Pulled down an old favorite from the bookshelf; Mayflies, by Kevin O'Donnell Jr.  Kind of a cross between Brian Aldiss's Starship and Anne McCaffrey 's The Ship Who Sang.  The protagonist literally loses his head (or would that be body?) during an earthquake and by a quirk of circumstance the brain is kept alive.  Supposedly brain-dead, it is reprogrammed as the core of the computer controlling a generation ship.  Only he's not dead, just traumatized and catatonic.  As his human mind fights to regain consciousness he accidentally knocks out the ship's drive a few months after launch, and the programmed part is unable to recover due to its rigid programming that didn't take such a failure mode into consideration.  "Flames dance in a circle of lightning.  The flames perceive the lightning not.  The lightning scoffs at the notion of flame."  Thanks to a politicized selection process the passengers on the ship are .. not the Earth's best-or-brightest, and now instead of a 15 year trip they have a few thousand years to kill.  Struggle within to overcome and/or integrate the two minds (not to mention a god complex), cultural conflict over several generations among the passengers, and of course an alien encounter or two along the way make this a fun and interesting read.

Kenji Miyazawa - Once and Forever

Came across an old bare-bones html website a while ago on this interesting poet. Out of curiosity, I picked up a translated collection of his stories. The tales so far have been simplistic and folksy, but incredibly comfy reads. Miyazawa's stories have been adapted into children's anime, so I might go poking around for those after I finish the book.

• 3 months later...

Finished reading Shingeki no Kyojin and now about to finish Haikyuu! They're all pretty interesting. I think I'll go for Hunter x Hunter, I watched the anime but never touched the manga, though.