Would you live in Japan?

Illusion of Terra

I didn't find a thread that was specifically about this, and was wondering, would you live in Japan?

e217e1126a6e4d2c9ced9bcc278500e0.jpg

What if it would be only for a few years? Would you even consider living there much longer?

I guess because of anime many here, including myself, have some interest in at least visiting Japan. There are many things which I saw in anime and Japan-related youtube channels that peaked my interest, and I would be curious to see. But living there seems like quite a different thing. I am not sure if I could adept to the rather strict adherence to laws and social norms (makes me sound like some kind of anarchist 😂) long-term. I guess I could get used to the rather insignificant things like having to separate waste in a strict way etc. A different thing seems to me to be the work ethics of it being the norm to work long hours with little to no overtime pay. It's difficult to say though since I assume that it is quite different in different places in Japan, depending on the region, job etc.
The main reason I am considering this and asking about it is because it seems like I have a not completely negligible chance of working there for at least a couple of years, and am thinking if I should apply for it or not. So yeah, I would be interested in any kind of opinions you might have when it comes to living in Japan.

Edited by Illusion of Terra

Personally? NO

I don’t read or speak the language. I don’t like Asian food. While I have some casual curiosity about the culture & philosophy, it really doesn’t line up with my personal beliefs. Even when it comes to otaku interests, a lot of it is too extreme and/or weird over there. About the only things outside of anime/manga/vgs that intrigue me would be folklore/mythology and that’s more about the past than the present. Also don’t like big crowded cities so the population density also be a problem. Rural areas might be nice to visit, but probably only a week max. All in all I’m happy with things as they are.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1

Nah, I wouldn’t live there. The language is the biggest thing for me. And while I could learn it, I’ve never wanted to learn Japanese and I’m already dedicating myself to French. 

Would I visit it? Maybe, but honestly not likely. There are other things/places I’d much rather do/visit before Japan.

Sure, I like some Japanese food, but we’ve actually got some of the very best available here because we have an even larger variety/availability of fresh fish where I live. Most of the Japanese restaurants here are run by Japanese individuals and even they attest to better quality ingredients (namely, fish) here than in Japan. 

So, it’s not like I’d be visiting Japan for the food. And I don’t collect anime/manga related items, so I wouldn’t be going there for that either. The culture stuff might be fun, but again, there’s other places much higher on the list that I’d like to see first. 

The opportunity to work in Japan though? I’d do it if I were you, assuming you’re willing to learn at least a working knowledge/capability of the language. It’s a fantastic opportunity and you’d have a purpose for going there, which I think would be a lot more enjoyable than just visiting or going there on a whim. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Illusion of Terra said:

What if it would be only for a few years? Would you even consider living there much longer?

This would be my preferred scenario, actually.  I've never understood the "travel" fascination .. as in visiting all the tourist traps, taking a few selfies, and coming back to work more exhausted than you were before you left on your "vacation".  To me the whole point of travel is to learn about someplace first-hand.  I'd much rather deep-dive... live in a place for months or years and really get to know the place.  Ideally I'd know someone there, or arrange to move in with a tolerant native, or something along those lines.

Of course, that's a much bigger commitment.  Plus there's the practical difficulties of an extended stay.  My native language is English, and being a product of the US publik edukayshun system that's pretty much the only language I speak, though I can understand a bit of spoken Japanese and I might still remember a bit of German from HS.  I can read hiragana/katakana, but Kanji is still a wall.  And since I'm not a millionaire I'd need some way to earn income to pay the rent, etc.  I'd have to have a really good support system there to help me earn a living while "visiting".

But if I could overcome all that then yeah, I think it'd be fun and educational to live there for a while.

• Silly 1

Maybe I am underestimating it, but I think one could pick up the language relatively fast, excluding a large part of the Kanji of course. That's not to say that you'd be talking about the stock market, Kant or artificial intelligence on Japanese television with what you can acquire in a year or so, but I think it would be enough for everyday life (you can always use your hands and feet).

Like efaardvark, I am not one for visiting all the tourist stuff. That goes for anywhere I go. I am much more interested in how people live, their mindset and the culture in general. So a longer stay would be more fitting I guess.
Still, I am kind of indecisive about it. While the language wouldn't be too much of a problem since I'd be working mostly in English, I am from a quite different culture to say the least 😂 Maybe something like a New Yorker (rather direct and 'rude' compared to others) going there.

Also, @Wedgy there are lasers so that you look less like a Yakuza 😂 

Edited by Illusion of Terra

I would love to visit the country but would I actually live there, even for a couple of years? No.

It's not even because of the language barrier but simply heard from friends that have been there that they don't really care for Americans and some can get down right mean. Also even though we see pictures from FB, Twitter and other various social media platforms of people cosplaying, it actually isn't as common as pictures and videos make it look like there is. 

I am obsessed with anime as I am with video games. I love Asian food and am interested in their culture overall so of course I would love to visit the country but like I said I wouldn't move. 

And as much as I hate to say it I think anime plays a big part of people wanting to move there. Even though they have a lot of anime I believe once you get there you could change your mind especially if it's only because of the anime/manga. Plus unless you speak Japanese or learn it you won't be able to watch it and understand it entirely. And I'm not sure how long it would take for you to be able to legally immigrate there. For my friend it took 10 years for her to legally move from Canada to here because apparently you have to visit for so long besides various other things to be able to move here. She's been here now for a few months and still hasn't recieved her social security card so she can't go to the doctors or nothing until she gets it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I would love to visit there for a few weeks as a holiday but I dont see myself wanting to move there.

I would love to learn the language, I really like the meals, but my love of anime really isn't enough for me to move simply because my family, friends and life in general is here where I am now. I love travel but I'm prone to homesickness.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TigerLily said:

I would love to visit there for a few weeks as a holiday but I dont see myself wanting to move there.

I would love to learn the language, I really like the meals, but my love of anime really isn't enough for me to move simply because my family, friends and life in general is here where I am now. I love travel but I'm prone to homesickness.

I know a bit of the language, and I like a lot of the food (and the presentation).  Anime wouldn't be enough for me either, but add in Akihabara where there's video games, manga, and all sorts of electronics (did I mention that I'm also an EE?) as well as anime and cosplay....  That's hard for me to say no to.  :)  I mean, we don't even have Radio Shack over here in the states anymore.

• Like 2

Nope! Not to visit either I think I would be too chicken because I don't know the language and I would be mad scared about getting lost. If I learned the language maybe it might be a different feeling?

I wouldn't worry too much about the language barrier as I know people who been to Japan and hardly knew the language and managed to navigate just fine :) English is up there as among one of the most spoken languages in the world and for many others is a second. If many tourists go to particular spots there is a good chance for there to be someone who can help you. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I will definitely be visiting at some point but the cost of living is so much higher than where I currently live that it just doesn't seem feasible. But if I could make the type of income that would allow me to live comfortably then I'd absolutely love to move to Japan! 

• Like 1

I would take any job opportunity that allows me to travel. I'd say go for it! Especially if you have the stability to take it. Also, from most work transfers I've seen, they usually hook you up with someone to teach you basic language or customs. But, from hearing experiences from friends who have travelled to teach English in Japan and in Korea. I do have a friend who was a chef in China and they did the same for her. Basic language. 

That being said, because I'm such a cool weeb *sarcasm*, I did take some Japanese in uni and there are a lot of resources to assist you in learning the language - vocally, but yes kanji would be the hardest hurdle which I wouldn't even tackle as most things have their hiragana written near it anyway. (Generally it takes about a year to learn decent cursory Japanese so don't feel to worried it looks more intimidating until you dive in)...AND there are phone apps that do a cursory translation via your phones camera. 

I would want to stay in Japan long enough to feel like I've delved into the culture a bit more. So quick vacays I think wouldn't be enough for me. Also its hella pricey to say the least. But, with a job lined up and hopefully some assistance with finding somewhere to stay I'd totally jump on it. 

I would be concerned about sticking out is all, as mentioned already I'd also want to visit an onsen and have a tattoo, so there is the risk of standing out (although there are a few that don't care at all about tattoos). My one friend who moved to Canada from Japan said she would always get stared at or almost bullied because she dyes her hair red. There are some plus and some negatives to any place though. And...if your a boy and tall you'll probably get asked to get your photo taken with strangers a lot hehe. 

Still, carpe diem might as well take the opportunity if nothings holding you back.  

Edited by Nyxnine
  • Like 2

I think I will manage the language part. I looked into it a bit and Japanese doesn't seem too different from many European languages in its basic structure. Let's see if I still think that after a few months of study though 😂

As for sticking out, I can guarantee that I would. I already stick out in the West because I often look like a mad scientist 😂 But for some reason people don't care too much when it comes to scientists/professors/etc. looking like that. Only thing I hope they won't ask is to shave often 😂 that's just too much work.
I am still considering this, but nothing concrete yet.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I was a homestay student there for a while and I can kind of understand why Japanese kids would rather live in U.S. You have to work like a horse there because cost of living there was ridiculously high. Not to mention the differences in culture and language was another headache. I wouldn't judge Japan based on anime because it's a lot easier to draw fictional things that you wish you had than to get them for real.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Visit? Maybe. My grandmother visited there in the early 90s. She had a friend who lives up there. (He' still alive I think?) She kept a whole journal and a photo album.

But, I certainly would NOT live there, and I couldn't even if I wanted to.  And I have reasons that some may consider controversial. One of those biggest reasons, is that I could never live in any country that has a strongly conservative society. That's just a major problem I'd have with living there.

• 3 weeks later...

That's a big no for me. It's nice to visit the larger cities on holidays but there are too many problematic habits due to cultural collectivism that I don't agree with. The normalization of some questionable ethics and morals on issues that would take too long to list. At least the food is good!