Bofuri: I don't want to get hurt, so I'll max out my df

Seshi

Bofuri is the newest game Anime to release this season, and it's already proving to be really fun.

The story starts off with a newbie character who picks the name Maple to play in this VRMMO that her best friend begged her to get. Since she has no game experience and no one to walk her through the process she sort of makes up her own way of playing in this world, and dramatically creates situations that most players would never encounter. Its hilarious to witness and incredibly entertaining to see this characters antics vs the game style that most experienced players would choose. 

They also keep the pace up in this show and pack a lot in 1 episode, and yet it doesn't come off as rushed since its more laid back. If you want something serious, I suggest picking up shield hero, but if you just want to relax and have a bit of fun, this series will hit the spot.

What do you think about it?

• Like 3

I haven't seen any of this one yet, but I will personally confirm that watching a newbie play games is hilarious, and sometimes painful.  Game geeks don't realize that there's a language and a culture to games that outsiders are generally completely unaware of.  Leveling up?  (AKA "grinding".)  Tanking?  What's a DPS character?  A buff?  A boss?  A mob?  PvE?  PvP?  MMO?  MMORPG?  VRMMORPG????  Yes, gamers have their own acronym soup.

Watching normies (try to) engage in the gaming world can be a real eye-opener.  Even "simple" games like minecraft are often intimidating and opaque to newbies.  I once introduced someone to minecraft (at her request) and she wanted to play it "without help".  She'd heard it was easy you see, and thought it would be a good intro.  Anyway, talk about starting off on the wrong foot!  I mean, doesn't "everyone" know that MC is supposed to be multiplayer?  Ok, so we'll do it your way.  (I'm just the tech staff.)  And then she decided to start with an "easy" game ("I'm not that creative") and as luck would have it she started in a desert.  No trees, all sand.  No wood!  No crafting table.  No tools!  Must have died hundreds of times in the first few nights.

Edited by efaardvark

@efaardvark The primary  joke of this series is that even though the noob’s “strategy” goes against all gaming logic, it actually makes her so damm OP she’s practically unstoppable to the point she’s becoming something of an urban legend among other players  😂

And she’s freak’n adorable too 😍 spacer.png

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Funny 2

Sometimes it goes that way too.  Some noob goes in with wild ideas and wreaks havoc on all the veteran, play-by-spreadsheet crowd's carefully laid plans.  :D

I'll have to watch the anime.  That does sound like a fun one.

• Like 1
  • Cool (Kakkoii) 1

Just watched episode 2.  Maple participates in her first battle royale event and does quite well despite not trying very hard.  Then her gaming buddy finally gets to log on & creates a character that matches her own style of gameplay (much more strategic than Maple’s). Very funny solution they come up with to compensate for the difference in their movement speed 😁 A bit unexpected that Sally has to take on the boss monster without assistance from Maple, but by shifting the spotlight to her it adds some variety that’s needed to keep the gimmick from getting old. Overall the series is looking  even more promising. My only complaint is they really need to do something about the chat comments because they go by way too fast to read. 

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Ohiotaku said:

My only complaint is they really need to do something about the chat comments because they go by way too fast to read. 

I'm not a fan of the chat comments. Its very stalkerish. I think they need to quit while they are ahead on that bit. It served its purpose.. Yes we know she is a newbie getting attention from the gaming community. Enough already , its starting to look creepy xD

• Like 1

Just finished episode 4. While there’s still no over reaching storyline, Maple & Sally continue to have fun exploring. This series boss battles all seem to be interesting & well animated. There were 2 this week and  unlike the previous ones Maple & Sally have to co-ordinate to win (much to the game developers’ frustration :P ). As a reward

they get Pokemon like familiars. No surprise that Maple’s is a turtle (her reaction to it having higher speed/agility ratings than her 🤣 

And we end on Shinobu’s (from Kimetsu no Yaiba) seiyuu voicing another elegant but badass samurai character who apparently wants a duel with Maple. Can’t wait till next week 😁

spacer.png

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1

I love this show! Just every episode is so funny, yet they manage to squeeze in a boss battle too. It doesn't feel like they leave anything out so I'm satisfied with watching this one weekly.

This week we got to see their guild get started. Maple recruited some new interesting members as well. Cant wait to see how they fight since these weirdos are maxed out in attack power. I wonder if they'll get a nick like the Standing spears xD

• Like 1

For some reason Maple & Sally looking for an HQ made me think of newlyweds house hunting 🤣 The one they discover definitely fits them. I liked how the shield guy pointed out that they all seemed to have been “infected” by Maple’s unconventional way of gaming. I think Sally & Kasumi would be more competitive  and maybe not even friends if not for her. Maple’s goodnatured quirkiness just seems to encourage everyone she meets.

I was a bit disappointed by the rematch with the deer boss. Had hoped the developers might have tweaked it to make it harder than before so the new recruits would have to pitch in to help beat it, though I guess that would’ve been cliche. I’m sure they’ll get their chance to shine in the upcoming guild competition. 

Edited by Ohiotaku

Yeah, I know I already posted a similar picture, but Maple getting a magical girl style transformation is a special occasion 🤩 (not considering it a spoiler sinced it’s referenced in the OP)

spacer.png

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Awesome (Sugoi) 1

spacer.png

“Thank you, Mario. But our princess is in another castle “

Yeah, I get that that their outfits are supposed to be a sheep/ram motif, but still thought they looked kinda like Toad :P 

Edited by Ohiotaku

On 2/22/2020 at 7:08 PM, Seshi said:

Yea, did u see the comments at the end? "She should just become the final boss" 😂😂

Could very well come to pass given that final scene this week (honestly not sure if it was meant to be an actual plot development or just a joke based on her reaction). Also really funny

her teammates being freaked out by her demon form “She’s a monster” “Glad she’s on our side 😂 Hopefully her cannibalistic tendencies won’t manifest IRL like some of her other ingame behavior in that one segment :P 

Pretty sure there’s going to be some kind of confrontation between Maple & the red haired leader of that other guild as they both are inspiring other players, but in different ways.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like there are plenty of guy players, but they’re mainly a bunch of no names getting pwned by Maple & the other girls 🤣 May as well be NPCs :P 

spacer.png

Looks like next week will be Maple vs the Flame Emperors’ leader (or as other players are calling it “The Main Event”). Maple has The Hammer Sisters backing her up & Mii has the priestess and the traps dude. Though Maple could probably make them all wet themselves & RLH if she does her demon transformation.

Edited by Ohiotaku

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished the last episode. No real surprise what Maple’s trump card would be

so much fun watching her rampage in her demon form. Yet when it’s all over, she invites the rival guilds over for a party

🤣

Overall the series has a very positive & upbeat message, as Maple pretty much ignores the traditional strategies and just does whatever seems fun/cool to that derpy little head of hers & more often than not it works out. And while she’s an absolute beast in competitions, she just wants to be friends with everybody. Having said that, not entirely sure how I feel about the announcement of a second season. As fun as it was, there’s not a lot of substance or overall story to it. So not sure where they’ll go from here. But as the game developers finally accept, there’s no way to predict what Maple will do next. (7/10)

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Funny 1

I ended up dropping my score from a 9/10 in early eps to an 8/10 in the end, simply because the ridiculous amount of one sidedness to the skill distribution. Sort of became gimmicky rather than the pure fun that it started out to be.

• Agree 1