Infinite Dendrogram

Seshi

The VRMMORPG of endless possibilities!

This anime shows a very realistic looking MMORPG with an added twist. The in game characters are subject to eternal death if they are killed during a failed mission or simply by ignoring a side quest that comes up for your party.

The world building is more thoughtful than the other currently airing, Bofuri, but thats because this is a more plot focused show. Although there are some good comedic elements, its proving to be a serious attempt at capturing the life of a vrmmo and the soul of an rpg.

So far by episode 2 we have met the Main characters and a few recurring side characters. My first impression of them is good, and I feel that this is going to be a fun series to continue watching, simply for the enjoyment of exploring the game world with these characters.

Enjoying the humor which keeps it from feeling as pretentious as SAO: Aliciation. For example the alert letting players know when they need to log out for a bathroom break & Nemesis whining about Ray using her to chop up zombies 🤣

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

@Seshi Episode 2 was wild. The impact the death lock out has on the tians was like wow that sucks. I mean with how much the players actions affect the world, being locked out of it for three in game days could have a lot of ramifications. Like in my head im seeing players assassinating others to keep certain quests from being completed and then use that 72 in game time to further secure their goals. I am really looking forward to see how much in game polictics will be addressed in the plot. Plust maybe they might do something a la .Hack and show the impact of obessessive gaming where players get addicted to the game and start ignoring real life. It was mentioned in the first episode that you can turn off pain sensors, so what other kind of simulation system could be available. More and more questions keep being asked for every little one the show answers, so I can say im definately hooked on plot and characters. The only things I somewhat dislike is the generic opening theme but I will gadly give that up if the anime stays consistent to the world its building and shows how impactful a word like this can be to people in general. I am also very eager to see what other types of embryos look like and how they actually work, since sexy succubus are apparently a possibility xD

• Funny 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So wound up giving it a 3rd try :P Because I got bored with most winter season shows being over & didn’t feel like starting a series from the beginning until I see how the spring season shapes up. Actually finding the 2nd half of the series to be an improvement. Still not living up to it’s potential, but at least we’re getting a bit of insight into who the players are IRL and what motivated them to start the game. And the mad scientist guy is at least entertaining as a villain. Decent enough that I’ll probably finish it.

Edited by Ohiotaku

So we finally get to to see what brother bear has been hiding under that costume (still has a Beorn motif going though).

Next week is the finale & have to admit I’m more hyped for it than I expected.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Last episode finally aired yesterday. Unfortunately followed it’s usual pattern: decent set up, underwhelming resolution. There were things I actually liked about this series, but ultimately a disappointment. (6/10)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I feel like an anime like this is potentially worse than an anime that is just bad. At least with a bad anime you get to laugh at how bad it is, or meme the hell out of it. But with this, being so darn forgettable, it is disappointing in every level and is not even worth really ranting about. I had hopes for this. If there is a second season on the works I might watch it see if it improves, but it would have to really darn good to make up for this lack lustre first impression.

On 2/27/2020 at 10:04 AM, Seshi said:

Another case of anime with potential that just blew it 

@Seshi I think most of us are in agreement that it would be a huge understatement to say that most of us were expecting better than what we saw.

Yeah, another episode usually another chance to do it right. Unfortunately I didn't see it happening for this anime. It was a far stretch. A lot needed to happen for a chance at redemption. And it didn't get done. It's a shame. *smh* 😖😖😖😖

Edited by Sauron
  • Agree 2