New 2020 Project: Higurashi

SAO LILDOOP

Higurashi has been confirmed to get a new installment (most viably sometime this year) and, alongside a short announcement trailer the new adaption has already garnered itself its very own website (https://higurashianime.com/) as well as twitter page (https://twitter.com/higu_anime). This news was released the 6'th of this month (I'm 2 weeks late, sorry) but was teased earlier with the delay of Ciconia phase 2 by Ryukishi07, stating, "Very good news is coming on January 6'th". 

It has not yet been confirmed what exactly the project is. It could be a reboot, remake or even (fingers crossed) a continuation. However, all we know for sure right now is that Higurashi is back, and I think that's enough to get most of us die-hard Higurashi fan's excited. Now though we may not know the details of the plot we do, however, have information regarding the studio producing this new adaption as well as the artist tasked with redefining the familiar faces of all our favorite Higurashi characters. 7'th expansion is working on the project as expected, however, studio Passione (known best for works such as Highschool DXD and Citrus) has come into the limelight as the producer of this new Higurashi adaption. The new artist designated to 7'th Expansions latest, "When they Cry" installment is none other than Akio Watanabe (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akio_Watanabe). I don't know how to feel about this to be honest, seeing the trailer I do enjoy the new art-style (Though I am a stickler for the classic), however, will it hold up in the long run with all of the bloody details this new Project will be most definitely throwing at us? I just don't know. I remember way back when I watched, "When they Cry's" Ova's (Also known as Rei and Kira) and I didn't even like that change though it was mainly lighting and very nuanced. 

All in all I trust 7'th Expansion's judgement with concern to taking on Akio Watanabe as well as Studio Passione and look forward to this new project whether it be a visual novel, remake, reboot or continuation. With the announce of this new project the Higurashi fandom has been buzzing and there have been some new strides made in the way of commercializing the new project, such as re-airing both seasons 1 and 2 of the OG Higurashi on AT-X in Japan. 

Have a look at the announcement trailer below and be sure to post your thoughts in the comments section (If you feel like it). Ni~Paaa

One last thing: Who is you're favorite Higurashi Character and thereby the character you are most excited to see re imagined in this upcoming project? Personally I love all the characters but my favorite was always Rena (The flagship character of both the original seasons as well as this new project).

Edited by SAO LILDOOP

• 4 months later...