Toilet Bound Hanako-kun

Ohayotaku

image.gif.d7a0ab070c738b3e7be8e2ac4b2f0cff.gif
Decided to create a topic for this series since myself & @Seshi are watching it and it has some elements I see possibly appealing to other members.

The series draws it general idea from an urban legend of the ghost of a girl who haunts a school bathroom.  Apparently the legend is common enough in Japan that has been referenced by several previous anime (also can’t help but wonder if Harry Potter’s Moaning Myrtle doesn’t borrow something from it :P ). But in this situation, Hanako turns out to be a guy. One of the series recurring themes is that the urban legends are altered versions of real events & that by changing how it is retold, it can affect the nature of the spirit/yokai it is based on (good or evil). And apparently someone is purposefully spreading rumors to that end. The current Madoka series deals with s similar topic, but I personally feel this series is doing a better job. The other thing that really stands out about this series it’s distinctive art style and the way it accentuates it’s supernatural theme.

So if you’re interested in supernatural mysteries with some humor & romance, give this one a look :) 

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Silly 1
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1

Just saw the latest episode (4) and I am continually drawn in to this world. I love the art, I know that it can seem a bit chaotic and out of the ordinary.. but thats kind of what this show is anyway. It is definitely out of the ordinary xD The characters are so charming, Hanako-kun in particular has a way of being mysterious (since they have yet to give us his full backstory) and cool as he comes to the rescue of other characters, showing his chivalrous nature as the top apparition of the school, but he also has a cute side that I find appealing as its completely contradictory to his nature, yet it sets the tone for the show for the most part as being sweet and innocent. 

Anyway, if anyone is in doubt, check it out. It may not be for everyone but the story has been good, (the ghost stories are a new theme for me in anime) and the OP/ED doesn't disappoint either. 

Lots of twists & turns before getting to the real truth behind the legend/rumor, making it more complex than a lot of other series. 
Hanako is the biggest mystery of all. While he’s clearly not the dangerous evil exorcist boy accuses him of being, there’s definitely something dark in his backstory

he admits to Nene that he actually did kill someone in his previous life and calls himself a murderer, though there’s clearly more to it. And there are moments when he seems to purposely  act shady to keep Nene from getting to comfortable around him. Seems like he’s carrying some feelings of guilt or a need to atone for something

• Like 1

Very busy episode this week as the supernatural battle is over in the first half, but many indirect challenges are introduced

Despite her insistence that Hanako isn’t her type, finding out his confession was just a ploy hurts Nene deeply. And for his part Hanako is genuinely upset about causing her pain. 

Exorcist boy(Kou?)’s big brother isn’t as opened minded about spirits & gives him an ultimatum.

Some other characters are clearly using Nene to get at Hanako, but their motives remain a mystery. Honestly don’t know anything about my new profile pic, but pretty sure he’s not one of the good guys :P (appearance wise he reminds me of Stein from Soul Eater)

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1

I was puzzled as well but someone on CR’s forums pointed out that

the symbol/seal was on the opposite cheek apparently meaning ... it’s an imposter?  evil twin?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ohiotaku said:

I was puzzled as well but someone on CR’s forums pointed out that

Hide contents

the symbol/seal was on the opposite cheek apparently meaning ... it’s an imposter?  evil twin?

Ah, I see. This will be interesting

• 1 month later...

This series needs another season as it would be just too frustrating to leave things the way they are after episode 12. Though the episode itself was one of the better ones.

Edited by Ohiotaku