2019 Anime of the year awards

Seshi

Crunchyroll shared the anime of the year results here.

IMO Vinland was rightfully best drama, and I am so glad it won at least one category. 

I was thrown off to see best protag was won from Dr. Stone when I couldn't stand to watch it DUE to the cringey characters.

And my favorite Shield won a couple categories: Best girl and best VA for Naofumi's character, and I couldn't be more proud.

What are your thoughts about them? 

My personal pick for AOTY was Vinland Saga, but not really surprising that Demon Slayer has a wider fanbase/appeal. Vinland Saga has an absolutely epic story & complex characters, but it’s rather bleak (not a “feel good” story). Also not many female characters, certainly none as cute/charming as Nezuko. I will say what little we learn about Thorfinn’s mother & sister portrays them as strong characters worthy of respect. Also Demon Slayer had more exposure via Crunchyroll, Funimation, Hulu & Toonami while Vinland Saga is Amazon Prime only. Vinland Saga is clearly the more grown up title (seinen) while Demon Slayer is textbook (though impressive) shonen.

On a related note, very disappointed that Askeladd didn’t get Best Antagonist. He has to be one of the most complex characters in all of anime. While he’s quite willing to murder, torture, manipulate & betray to achieve his goals, he does have his own creed. And ultimately he is willing to make personal and painful sacrifices to further a goal that was in many ways altruistic.

As far as Senkuu from Dr. Stone getting best protagonist, while I had a better opinion of him & the series by the end then I did early on, he’s definitely not my pick. Probably would’ve gone with Tanjiro from Demon Slayer & given Best Boy to Mob.

I personally feel that Love is War was over-hyped. Similar to Senkuu, I don’t dislike the MCs as much as I did at first. But the primary appeal was Chika’s antics. Likewise, Promised Neverland was definitely intriguing, but more interested in finding out about the outside world instead of just the orphanage .

The fact that MHA got shut out when it usually wins several categories seems to indicate I’m not the only who feels it’s in decline. Kinda surprised AOT not getting a mention though since a lot of the long standing mysteries finally got explained.

Kinda disappointed Fruits Basket didn’t get recognized, even if it is a remake. 

Overall, I think most of the winners deserved recognition, but still too limited IMO.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

If I recall correctly Fruits Basket was only nominated for best drama, when it could have easily been best fantasy imo. Season 2 having yet to show the full depth of what drama is in store for furuba means it could be a candidate to win that category in the future.

You said it was limited @Ohiotaku should there have been more categories to include in nominations?

• Cool (Kakkoii) 1

On 2/18/2020 at 8:10 AM, Seshi said:

You said it was limited @Ohiotaku should there have been more categories to include in nominations?

They touched on the major ones, guess I just forget sometimes most anime fans don’t watch as many (or as varied) series as I do :P 

•  
Edited by Ohiotaku

https://www.crunchyroll.com/animeawards/en/faqs/index.html

The above link is what on CR’s site. Even though fans get a chance to vote, their panel of judges votes count more  (70/30) and they’re the ones who determine who is nominated. The judges are largely what CR describes as “industry experts”  and I think some anime Youtubers. I believe they had a list of judges earlier, but not sure if it’s still accessible. Most of the people on CR’s forums are usually pretty cynical about the official  awards, though this year seemed to be more inline. There’s about 15 - 30 subscribers who participate in our own seasonal  & annual version on the forums (see link in earlier post)

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Informative 1