Could you ever give up social media ??

Anime loveer

Can you ever give up social media ??( that means never use social media ever again and you won't regret it )

If you don't know , try not using social media for 2 weeks and if you use social media , you lose , then if you can do it , you win

• Like 2

I could do it.  In fact, I have done it.  Just for a couple weeks I mean.  I can take it or leave it, especially these days when it is mostly political BS. 

The problem is that most of my social network would not.  My brother checks his email about every other week, but he's on FB daily.  If I want a quick response then I have to use FB.  Even his phone goes straight to voice-mail.  Some of the younger relatives and other people I socialize with I can pretty much -only- get in touch with through things like FB or Discord as well.  For me personally though.. I'm pretty old-school.  I kept myself entertained long before there was an internet, or even PCs.  I never understood the attraction of twitter at all.  Or instagram.  (Why do I need to see a picture of your lunch??)  I know how to read a book or a newspaper.  I can even write letters.  (Like, snail-mail type letters.. envelope, stamp, etc.  :D )   Dropping the connection to the millions of rabid monkeys on social platforms like FB or Twitter would actually be something of a relief for me tbh.

• Agree 1
  • Cool (Kakkoii) 1

technically I wouldn't really mind. main thing is that for some people I know who don't know much about technology stuff like facebook is the only way to send them stuff like photos. if my aunt who doesn't really know anything about technology wants a photo of something, the only way might be through facebook.
That's also one of the only reasons I use social media. I never got how and why people would get their news for example from stuff like facebook or twitter, but on the other hand I have never really tried it either. As for instagram, snapchat, tik tok etc. I have never used them. I think I am just too old so that almost no one I know uses it 😂 But I can see why younger people would enjoy it

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IIVIsouljam said:

Took a class that lasted a year and everyone was communicating through some kind of app or something but I never joined it. It was very noticeable that I was out of the social sort of loop with most of them.

Similar in my case. When I was still at university as a student people asked me for my snapchat, whatsapp, instagram or whatever. When I told them that I don't use those, because I don't have a phone (yes I am aware that you can you instagram on your computer as well 😂), they were really surprised on how to send me stuff.
Obvious answer, e-mail 😂 I don't get why the simple e-mail communication is so disliked, especially since you can also just reply on your phone and with various apps for e-mails it's not that different from the other apps. I guess it's more inconvenient, but not sure it is more inefficient. Anyway, life without those is possible 😂 

Edited by Illusion of Terra

On 2/22/2020 at 9:10 PM, IIVIsouljam said:

There are times I feel like the odd one out on a serious level. I've never actually joined any social media and for the most part of growing up, I hardly ever even touched a computer. I experimented with MySpace for maybe a week or so. Later it was Twitter but that lasted a month and a few weeks. The only thing I use now, besides this forum, is YouTube. However, I just upload stuff and leave for weeks at a time.

Took a class that lasted a year and everyone was communicating through some kind of app or something but I never joined it. It was very noticeable that I was out of the social sort of loop with most of them. Which felt like the equivalence of being the kid no one wants to sit with during lunch. Joke was on them when they were caught using the app to gossip through. 😆 

See , all my friends use to use social media all the time , and when they are talking about something thats very popular on social media , i always have no idea what they're talking about , since i don't use it , and i pretend i do 😝🙃🙂

• Funny 1

15 hours ago, IIVIsouljam said:

Ayy, you're so bad! 😜 😆 I think people would catch on really quickly if I did that. 😁 Sometimes I feel like I'm socially missing out and sometimes it looks like a lot of extra stress. What do you think, A.L.? Are you glad that you don't use it or no?

well sometimes ... but even if i do want to catch up with them , im still to lazy to go get the app and go everyday to see 

and sometimes , my friend knows i don't use it , so they don't bother talk about this stuff with me

• Like 1

Haven't really done social media in years, I stopped when I was in high school because my phone got stolen and I never really got back into it. I did rejoin a few years later because my gf at the time was hounding me to do so (mainly to follow her instagram and snapchat) and also because I needed whatsapp for work reasons.

• Like 1
  • Cool (Kakkoii) 1

I kind of need Telegram for communication with my fellow students and whatsapp to communicate with everyone else I know  but apart from that, there's hardly any social media that I actually need. No one I know uses FB anymore I've deleted my account years ago, I only have a Insta account in order to follow some museums and while I love looking at painting, the glorious Model 1860 Military Light Cavalry Sabers (lel) and other old artifacts it's something I don't actually need.

I'm a lot on reddit but I could up my reading time if I dropped it and I could find nice wallpapers without 4chan so I guess I can do without them too. Youtube might actually be the hardest to quit... It has decent science videos and I use it supplementary for studying...

So it mostly boils down to the messaging services because no one here uses email and calling isn't a good substitution for large group chats.

• 2 weeks later...

LOL....I'm such an opposite from everyone here. I have a love/hate relationship with social media. I mean this forum is a form of social media on its own (a form of communication in a social setting). 

My love - I can keep in touch with people I no longer am geographically close to.

It makes group chats with friends and/business a lot quicker and more effective/efficient IF you know how to use it and have everyone on the same page/respect being open about communication with those who don't use it. (I only use WhatsApp to write people now as no one really texts me except 3 people) and no one calls anymore unless its my dad ^^;

I like cute filters and playing around with certain apps with my friends. 

And I enjoy Instagram as I place a lot of art on it and can get a wider range of feedback from people and have the ability to search other things. It makes us more globally aware and open to seeing more. (Con of this, is obviously certain things can be staged and create false advertising or more body image/shaming issues - but also has the power to do the exact opposite and create inspiration). 

I also am a twitch streamer and enjoy talking to random people on a daily basis! I think its so neat to talk to people of such varying backgrounds.

My hate of it though....it can cause a lot of stress, it can create a lot of distance for people in relationships, it creates a worse sense of needing that immediate response from the world and can make you feel even more insignificant in a depressing way. Its also really easy to hurt people with or be hurt from. 

Tbh its a scary thought thinking of raising children with social media being so prevalent. 

As for your question about leaving it. I've lost and broken my phone and have gone without a computer for weeks and months. Its actually really relieving not being accessible to people and having a break. But, because its around me so much, I so noticed its absence and also have to let my friends be aware I am sans social media so they can still contact me or people think you're angry at them or avoiding them. To many pro and cons haha

• Agree 1

• 3 years later...

It's essential to find a healthy balance between online and offline life that suits your personal goals and well-being. As the years go by, our relationship with social media will continue to evolve, and it's crucial to adapt it to your changing needs and priorities.

Considering that this thread is a few years old, it's interesting to see how things might have changed for people regarding their social media habits. Back then, taking a break for two weeks to reassess your relationship with social media was a good idea, and it still is today.

In the fast-paced world of technology and social networking, it can be challenging to stay away from platforms like Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter for an extended period. However, there's no doubt that taking a break from social media can offer numerous benefits.

If you ever decide to come back to social media, you can buy non drop instagram followers. This can help you regain some traction and engage with a broader audience when you return.

Edited by eliyasuzekeri

Completely off social media since 2010ish. Only thing I use is discord for communication or my phone for texting and talking to people.

Didn't mind when the platforms were more a tool for news and other tasks but now it's just noise and drama bating. I'm older though so social media used to be a different thing when I was going through High School. Really the only thing closest to social media at the time was IRC chat and ICQ, AOL, and MSN. Heck even myspace just had come out as I was leaving HS. So kind of missed the boom of it while going to college and was more interested in face to face conversations instead of posting out into the void.

Facebook and myspace used to be a good tool for setup of events and the platforms went away from that mostly.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Probably because I don't really use it very much to begin with. The last time I posted on Insta was the beginning of December, Twitter I don't know the last time I logged into it lol, FB I occasionally drop a picture or video of my ferret so my relatives know I'm alive. The only thing I really use is Discord to talk with my friends to keep me sane. 

• Like 1

Growing up I used to be on any social media that was popular at the time. Now I'm not on any social media no more, I'm very happy about that since I find peace away from the drama, toxicity and so on. I only have YouTube and Discord, though I don't use them unless I need too for some reason / talking to people (s) to stay in contact with maybe.

• Awesome (Sugoi) 1

• 2 weeks later...

It depends what social media. I don't really care about things like Instagram, Facebook or Snapchat anymore. I find Twitter to be mostly toxic. Discord or WhatsApp I wouldn't give up given it's the way I communicate with friends. All other social media I'm not really invested in enough to care, it's just something to scroll when I'm bored.

Honestly yeah. Just discord even though I think of it as a messaging app and YouTube is a video sharing/streaming platform so I’m good

Edited by Soramee_