The Official/Obligatory COVID-19 Thread

The current climate surely is making the whole thing worse.  States reopening to a sea of violence isn't really looking good for any businesses or people who have been cooped up for months on end.  They were debating on letting us go back into the office in a couple of weeks, that has since been taken off the table in light of recent events.  All of this is just...insane.  2020 needs a Snickers.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

But my title was so catchy haha  Jk, but, I think this is a good idea. You can also post things you're doing to pass the time. And general 'how to not go crazy while self isolating' advice 😛

I won't beat around the bush here.  We all know by now what is going on.  My intent with creating this thread (I'll admit my own guilt) is to provide one main location for the COVID-19 talk.  We've be

Same here, my friend is a nurse and said their screening has increased each day. He mentioned talk at the hospital that May is suppose to be our peak for covid cases in Alberta On a happy note.

Posted Images

11 hours ago, The History Kid said:

The current climate surely is making the whole thing worse.  States reopening to a sea of violence isn't really looking good for any businesses or people who have been cooped up for months on end.  They were debating on letting us go back into the office in a couple of weeks, that has since been taken off the table in light of recent events.  All of this is just...insane.  2020 needs a Snickers.

It seems some countries and cities are being hit seriously just now (Bangladesh's hospitals are in a pretty precarious situation it seems, and Sweden's situation is also not that good) while some countries are pretty much recovered.

Just to share how it's going over here in Austria, we are mostly opening up everything but still have to wear masks inside of grocery stores, cinemas etc until mid June (after that, only in some places like at barbers). Sports clubs are allowed to train outside and in smaller groups and some clubs and bars are now basically functioning as "night-restaurants" with party music etc. (Obviously they won't be allowed to operate as normal clubs for a bit longer.) Exams at my university are now done a bit differently, namely that one exam date is split in two "turns", meaning if 100 people take an exams the first 50 are in the lecture hall for the duration of the exam and then the other fifty write the exam afterwards in the same location. This has usually been done with exams that had some 200-300 people taking it but right now they do it with every exam that has more than x people (don't know the exact number, it depends on the size of the room/lecture hall I think.)

Also, some exams are conducted online... sometime good because we now actually have multiple choice tests (we usually don't), sometimes bad because we have to stream via the webcam and activate the microphone (well, not my course but students on other universities apparently had to do this.)

From what I've heard, Czechia is also pretty much over it, and Germany and Austria (and some other countries) gave opened the borders again. People are already talking about going to vacation and our politicians are trying to encourage vacation inside the country. Slovenia and Croatia are also an option - we'll see about Italy. I think many places will soon desperately fight over the few tourists.

On another note, the US seems in an interesting situation. I wonder if we'll see a spike of case in 1 - 2 weeks.

• 1 month later...

We're back to "an unknown date."

I'm overtaxed work wise.  Yesterday was my first day "off" in a long time.  I'm also getting totally worn down with the constant exposure to internet commentary and "opinions" that are just there to occupy space.  I bailed on two social media platforms last month, and generally have kept my own personal interactions limited to Discord and phone.  Still have a ban on taking "leave" too.  Oof.  I'm beyond burned out at this point.

21 hours ago, The History Kid said:

..  I'm also getting totally worn down with the constant exposure to internet commentary and "opinions" that are just there to occupy space.  I bailed on two social media platforms last month, and generally have kept my own personal interactions limited to Discord and phone.

Totally get this.  Too many people with too much time to spend on places like fb or twitter absorbing and/or spewing nonsense and mis-information.

Not just social media though.  I had to talk my mom down off a ledge (metaphorically speaking) this weekend.  She's 80 and too old-school for the modern social media scene.  She couldn't post a tweet or make a post to FB to save her life, but she flips between CNN, MSNBC, and FOX on TV.  That stuff will rot your brain too.

Looks like the holiday hasn't worked out well for my local (Los Angeles) area.  We're already seeing a spike from this weekend, with new records in terms of number of new confirmed cases in one day.  There's probably a lot of new cases that haven't been confirmed yet too.  We'll likely be seeing those in the next couple weeks as people's symptoms develop and they get tested. The officials did shut the beaches over the weekend, but that was probably a case of too little too late since it seems cases were already on the rise before the weekend was over.  That means those people had to have been exposed before the weekend.  It is going to be "interesting" to see how the next couple of weeks go around here.

Fortunately I'm able to work from home for the most part.  I still have to go in to the office to take care of some stuff that requires physical presence once or twice a week though.  At work the higher ups are saying they're not even going to consider allowing any more people to go back to work before September.  Current plan is to keep the current restrictions in place and re-evaluate things after labor day.  It is going to be a long summer.

• 3 weeks later...

Gotta admit, I judge people by their mask-wearing habits all the time.  :D

PlagueRat.jpg.831954f7dc42801023e0dcdff2982283.jpg

Edited by efaardvark
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2020 at 2:58 PM, efaardvark said:

Gotta admit, I judge people by their mask-wearing habits all the time.  :D

PlagueRat.jpg.831954f7dc42801023e0dcdff2982283.jpg

@efaardvark Same! I'm extremely prejudice during these times. I can't be near someone if their mask isn't worn to my standards.

• Agree 2

Having worn a mask all day every day for the past six months or so, I can confirm its basically part of my face now. When I go to get my license renewed, I'll be wearing it in my photo ID.

Edited by Wedgy

I still forget it at times.  It's not a second nature thing for me, and I don't imagine it ever will be.  Either way, what gets me is the people that are literally wearing them all the time if they leave the house.  In their car - wearing them.  I'm not sure what they think they're stopping in their car, but more power to them I suppose.

5 hours ago, The History Kid said:

I still forget it at times.  It's not a second nature thing for me, and I don't imagine it ever will be.  Either way, what gets me is the people that are literally wearing them all the time if they leave the house.  In their car - wearing them.  I'm not sure what they think they're stopping in their car, but more power to them I suppose.

Yeah that one is a head-scratcher. But it's much preferred over outright refusal to wear one. I see videos shared online all the time, adults acting like toddlers when asked to wear a mask. Saw one with a 60-something planting her butt on the floor like a tempermemtal two-year-old and refusing to move until the manager came to kick her out. 

• 8 months later...