Golden Era Anime fan here.

FranBunnyFFXII

Welcome to the forums, hope you enjoy it here 😁

My love of anime started back in the late 70s early 80s, though I just got into streaming about 3 years ago. I’ve seen a lot of series over the decades, but there are still “classics” I haven’t, but will offer what knowledge I do have.

• Like 2

I've watched a lot of old anime, and I also have a HUGE interest in the history of the medium itself, mostly when it comes to the early days of the anime fandom. I've amassed quite an amount of fanzines/flyers from the early 1980s to the 1990s, and I've scanned and uploaded a good amount of them to the Internet Archive for everybody to enjoy. I should probably get to work on the rest, now that I think about it, haha

But yeah needless to say, old anime/anime history is something I love to look at.

On 4/1/2020 at 8:57 AM, Ohiotaku said:

My love of anime started back in the late 70s early 80s, though I just got into streaming about 3 years ago. I’ve seen a lot of series over the decades, but there are still “classics” I haven’t, but will offer what knowledge I do have.

Do you mind if I ask you about how you got into anime?

20 hours ago, ThatEccentricArchivist said:

Do you mind if I ask you about how you got into anime?

First of all, I’ve always been a fan of animation in general (not just anime) for it’s ability to bring imaginary worlds to life. And even when the story us realistic, to create a unique mood through the art style of the background and character designs.

As far as what got me into anime, you need to realize most of what aired during “cartoon” hours when I was a kid were basically 5 - 10 minute comedy skits (Loony Tunes, Tom & Jerry, Popeye, etc) or stuff like Scooby Doo. Even more serioys stuff was like Super Friends.So when I was about 10, a show called Star Blazers started airing. Suddenly, here was a continuous storyline about humanity in a war for survival where characters actually grew as individuals  and  sometimes even died. It would be years later before I realized it was a heavily edited version of an anime called Space Battleship Yamato, but right away it was clearly like nothing else I’d seen before. We lived in a rural area so no cable tv, but watched the series that made their way onto broadcast tv (Voltron, Pokemon, Sailor Moon, Dragonball, Robotech, Mazinger Z & the Galaxy Express 999 movie). Started buying anime on VHS during the 90s thanks to Suncoast, but it was a pretty expensive hobby. DVDs made things a little bit better. Actually fell out of touch when things switched over to streaming since reliable high speed internet wasn’t really available where I lived. Moved into town about 3 years ago & have been making up for lost time since :P )

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1