Music and Anime

RZ.

It's a pretty obvious point that music is important in any visual medium for creating atmosphere. To me at least, it seems to have even more of a bearing in anime, as I often pick the shows I'm going to watch depending on how much I like the intro/outro tracks (not always a great idea :D).

Music is also the deciding factor in whether I think something is good or great, or indeed a masterpiece. 'Blue' from the end of Cowboy Bebop, or 'Kom Susser Tod' from End of Eva are iconic. 

Does anybody else feel this strongly about music in visual media? What's some of your favorite musical pieces from anime? 

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, RZ. said:

Does anybody else feel this strongly about music in visual media? What's some of your favorite musical pieces from anime? 

OMG, YES! I completely agree with you, if the music sucks I'm out! 

One of my favorite anime tracks is Touch Off, the intro song from The Promised Neverland. Another is Odd Future, the intro to season 3 of My Hero Academia.

And there is no way I could leave out The World Without Logos, the opening track for Hellsing!

This topic just makes me so happy! 🎶 🎼

Edited by RuthisianCodex
  • Like 1

you know, there is one anime that has stuck with me for a long time due to the soundtrack. the anime itself wasn't what made it memorable to me, it was the music.

it was ookami kakushi. whole soundtrack was beautiful

heres a playlist for the OST

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RuthisianCodex said:

OMG, YES! I completely agree with you, if the music sucks I'm out! 

One of my favorite anime tracks is Touch Off, the intro song from The Promised Neverland. Another is Odd Future, the intro to season 3 of My Hero Academia.

And there is no way I could leave out The World Without Logos, the opening track for Hellsing!

This topic just makes me so happy! 🎶 🎼

World Without Logos is grimey, fits Hellsing well. It reminds me of the alternative intro to Speed Grapher which they used for the American DVD releases when they couldn't get the rights to Girls on Film by Duran Duran.

1 hour ago, cowboy said:

you know, there is one anime that has stuck with me for a long time due to the soundtrack. the anime itself wasn't what made it memorable to me, it was the music.

it was ookami kakushi. whole soundtrack was beautiful

heres a playlist for the OST

That's a nice little piece. I've not even heard of Ookami Kakushi so I'll have to add that one to my list :)

• Like 2

An OK anime (the plot doesn't begin until Episode 15 lol) but a very good portfolio of music. The intro song 'Shell' by Bana is awesome too and probably more appreciated than the outro track which is just as good:

Then there's this from Inuyasha. Everytime this started playing it was pure excitement :D

• Like 2

23 hours ago, RuthisianCodex said:

I haven't watched Perfect Blue yet but now that I've heard this I'm definitely going to check it out. 

I really need to watch Perfect Blue. I bought the DVD along with Paranoia Agent about a year ago and it's just been sitting on my shelf all this time. I think it's because I think of them as quite heavy anime that I need to be in a certain mood for.

There's also this obscure piece from Darker than Black, the theme for November 11. It's a Yoko Kanno track but didn't appear on any OST's. This is the only full version I can find of it and it's been edited and re-mixed out of the original episode. 1:41 onwards is just superb:

1 hour ago, RuthisianCodex said:

Thought you guys might like this:

Haven't listened to all of it but I especially like 19:41-23:16. What show is that from?

Almost forgot about the awesome Wolfs Rain OST as well (yet more melancholy):

• Like 1

Inuyasha had such a great soundtrack. Its probably a very big factor in my nostalgia for that show.

Recently I've been enjoying Psycho-Pass and appreciating the op and eds for this anime. It sets the tone just right for this series, but even outside of the series I find the music pleasant to listen to. Same goes for Overlord tracks.

• Awesome (Sugoi) 1
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1

@Seshi The Psycho-Pass OP is so unique visually, definitely one of my favorites. I can't remember the name of the person who came up with it but she's (I think it's a she) done a couple of other intros for different shows that were just as unique. I also love how much Sesshomaru is in that ending :P

• Like 2

As there's been a few openings posted, I thought I'd post some too. These are for if you're partial to hardcore rock/metal :D

Shingeki no Bahamut

Darker than Black (OP1)

Chaos Dragon

• Awesome (Sugoi) 1

Do you guys ever get affected by an anime so much that whenever you hear a soundtrack from that anime you feel a whole whirlpool of emotions? For me one of such anime is Steins Gate, gosh I always stop just to listen to it. Unless it is too sad for my current state of mind :D

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 4/16/2020 at 5:36 AM, IIVIsouljam said:

Haha! It's absolutely unfortunate about the 2016 series. :( I tried to be a die-hard fan because I love the Berserk franchise but you're right. Even if they were going to skip a portion of the storyline, at least don't make it worse with that animation. I still need to finish the series but I forgot where I left off... 😞 Kentaro Miura does not deserve this, that's for sure. 

The worst thing is that the intros are animated really nicely and then they do THAT :(

@Amali The S;G has really great music but also atmosphere as well. For me I think 'Blue' from Cowboy Bebop and 'Jesus Bleibet Meine Freude' from NGE are my big emotional ones. 

Edited by RZ.
  • Like 1
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1