Is it possible that our world will become fantasy?

Big Boar

So I've been reading berserk manga, and one that most shocking is- its world becomes fantasy settings from a realistic medieval. Magics, dragons, goblins, fairies, scary creatures, sea monsters, undead, etc will appear worldwide! If this happens our world will look like final fantasy XV or shadow hearts where a real life modern settings has fantasy creatures and magics. Personally I don't believe in fantasy settings but I'm still a Fan, and I still have a feeling this could happen. Do you think this could happen? Maybe the Vatican church is hiding some shit seal that could change the world into fantasy that is guarded to prevent it? Do you think it's possible that our world will turn into fantasy world? It's kinda interesting question.

• Like 3

My brain says no.

My heart says YES YES YES.

My brain reminds my heart that in such a world I would probably die an agonizing death in the first 10 seconds, so it's a nope from me lol.

• Like 2
  • Silly 2

If you eat the right (wrong?) type of mushrooms, sure.

spacer.png

(should go without saying, but don’t actually try it. Seriously.)

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Silly 1
  • Funny 2

I think that's why shows like The Mist, Bird Box and Cloverfield freak me out so much. Its an alternate reality encroaching on ours or aliens...they're creepy too.

I think IF and I mean highly skeptical on the if, some fantastical world did start to encroach on our reality that we on our side would not magically be given any special power. That it would solely be one sided unless birthed into by two people (thinking genetics), but magic. I'd be very skeptical on. Reminds me of  the movie Bright haha

And so yes, like @RZ. already wrote. I too would probably die quite fast...but hopefully not so agonizing lol

Edited by Nyxnine
  • Like 1

Do I think this could happen? 

In a word, no.

In a bunch more words...

I don’t think we need fantasy anyway though.  The real universe is quite amazing enough without having to resort to magic and fantasy.  It doesn’t mean that Merlin can’t be a wizard.  We just have define “wizard” to be a cyborg with built-in WiFi and his own nanite swarm.  You can do a lot with genetic engineering too, though maybe flying, fire-breathing dragons might be a bit much to ask for, at least here on Earth.  Even magic has limits.

And how about water?  Made literally of some of the most common elements in the universe, you can find it pretty much everywhere.  Great chemical solvent.. you can do all sorts of chemistry in water.

And did you know ice floats?  Of course you did.  Why does ice float though?  Yeah, yeah.  Less dense than water.  But that’s opposite to the way virtually every other substance known to man works.  Throw a chunk of “frozen” (room temp) iron in a pot of the molten metal and it sinks.  If water did that then ice would sink to the bottom of lakes and rivers and cover up all the plants and sediment.  Instead it floats, so it covers the surface, which actually creates a nice little protected habitat for life underneath the ice. Amazing stuff water.  Probably couldn’t have life without it.  Certainly not as we know it.

All sorts of other amazing stuff out there besides water too.  It’d be kind of a shame to ignore them all in a quest for “magic” or “fantasy”.  Things like physics, chemistry, electronics and computer programming... those are my kind of fantastic.  No need for the fake stuff in my universe.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Skeptical 1

58 minutes ago, efaardvark said:

I don’t think we need fantasy anyway though.  The real universe is quite amazing enough without having to resort to magic and fantasy.  It doesn’t mean that Merlin can’t be a wizard.  We just have define “wizard” to be a cyborg with built-in WiFi and his own nanite swarm.  You can do a lot with genetic engineering too, though maybe flying, fire-breathing dragons might be a bit much to ask for, at least here on Earth.  Even magic has limits.

I like your answer. Most people wouldn't think about these trivial things as anything special. Imagine a parallel universe with different rules of physics and such. What chemical reactions, properties materials could have, the life forms this universe could produce, etc.... would be fantasy-like. Their stuff would be fantasy to us, and our stuff fantasy to them. That being said, there is enough to discover in our universe, even on our planet. Deep sea creatures look fantasy-ish enough and we barely know anything about them. Who knows what kind of life form, and I mean bacteria and the likes, live on other planets with completely outlandish properties.

Also, imagine some kind lizard of other animal that produces some inflammable liquid and is capable of spraying it through it mouth (there are, for example, snakes that spray poison at their enemies). Then said animal is capable of producing sparks by grinding their teeth, basically has flint-stone-like teeth and boom, you've got a real life dragon. (minus the flying part)

2 hours ago, efaardvark said:

And how about water?  Made literally of some of the most common elements in the universe, you can find it pretty much everywhere.  Great chemical solvent.. you can do all sorts of chemistry in water.

There's an exoplanet by the name Gliese 436 b which has a surface pressure so great that despite temperatures well in excess of boiling point, water is forced into a solid state ("Hot ice"). 

I'd say this is more fascinating than anything seen in fantasy :D

Edited by RZ.
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, leinwandname said:

Also, imagine some kind lizard of other animal that produces some inflammable liquid and is capable of spraying it through it mouth (there are, for example, snakes that spray poison at their enemies). Then said animal is capable of producing sparks by grinding their teeth, basically has flint-stone-like teeth and boom, you've got a real life dragon. (minus the flying part)

There are already natural creatures like the bombardier beetle that can spray scalding chemicals.  There’s also pigs, rabbits, mice, and other creatures that have been engineered to glow in the dark, using genetic material from jellyfish.  Arbitrary data can be encoded in DNA and passed along to later generations.  At this point I wouldn’t want to claim anything was impossible.  As long as it is not directly contradicting the laws of physics anyway.  Even there I’m keeping an open mind.. we still don’t know everything there is to know about the universe(s).  (Though we do know quite a lot.)

• Like 1