Computers?

Fraggiebaby

Couldn't find any threads really dedicated to computers. Not sure if it's okay, but Ill give it a shot. Just wanted to see if anybody here are familiar with PCs. I'm still learning, and honestly don't know much yet(but I'd say I know a little more than the average joe). Would love to learn a thing or two. Same goes for you too maybe? looking to get into general PC use to PC gaming? I think this thread would be perfect, no? Custom water cooling is something I also want to get heavily invested in. But I always felt so discouraged.

So maybe to start off the thread, let me ask what kind of computer you're using. pre-built? custom? laptop? Tell me. Show me. Specifications would be awesome too.

• Like 3

Actually, tomorrow i am getting my new parts! Very excited :)

gpu - geforce 1060 gtx 6gb

cpu - amd ryzen 9 3900x

motherboard - Asus prime b450 plus

ram - kingston hyperX 3200 2x 16gb

and a new case with glass on the sides to see the lights, basically a new pc lol.

• Like 2
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1

2 minutes ago, Humbby said:

Actually, tomorrow i am getting my new parts! Very excited :)

gpu - geforce 1060 gtx 6gb

cpu - amd ryzen 9 3900x

motherboard - Asus prime b450 plus

ram - kingston hyperX 3200 2x 16gb

and a new case with glass on the sides to see the lights, basically a new pc lol.

DUDE THAT'S LIT. So those are the new parts you're getting? and just a small question

Why are you pairing a 500 dollar CPU with a 1060? Plan on upgrading in the future for long jeverdy? or is it a work bench?

Well, i needed a new gpu but couple of days later i noticed that my processor was nearing its limits so i thought, now ill just go all out lol. If i waited a couple of days i would have done it differently. 😛

and i am not much of a gamer, so i dont need the best gpu tho i do need a good cpu for rendering etc.

Edited by Humbby

That's pretty epic. I'm currently using a 8700k, but would definitely use an AMD based PC for my secondary rig. not sure if youre familiar with the bulldozer architecture CPUs from amd but that was the first and last time i used amd products. i think it was a fx 4100. i mean they were really really good for budget builds back then, espeically if you got them on discounts(which were really really common).

ive always wanted to build a second rig for a long time for my living room. and since the zen based rzyen cpus came out in 2017 its just giving me more reason too. ive only heard really good things about it. 

• Like 1

I am very much into computers everything from building them to networking to programming and in between. I honestly really just love technology and it is my field along with my other loves which would be science, and art. My favorite type of art is writing in particular there fan fiction though I love writing stories with my own characters as well. 

In terms of the whole pre-built vs home built mindset. I very much prefer to build my computers for sake of specking it how I want, and its just fun with a sense of accomplishment. With that said I do like getting a feel for how different manufactures like dell, or HP do things in case I need to service those among other products. 

I also did not really see this mentioned, but sense this is a computers on the general sense topic I very much prefer PCs, and I do game as well as do art drawing, writing, coding etc. 

I recently built a new gaming rig just last week in fact when my older mobo aka motherboard failed out on me. 

I'm happy to help with computer questions as well it is my passion. :) 

I'll post details on my computers specifically later on/ 

• Like 1

I am with @ArchieKun

Building your own PC is really satisfying personally I went AMD this year and really impressed by the difference specs on my gaming rig are:

GPU - RTX 2070 Super

CPU - 3700X AMD cooled by a Corsair H100i

RAM - 32gb Corsair 3200Mhz - really need to speed this up but going to wait till RAM keep getting cheaper or wait till DDR5 makes and appearance maybe

Motherboard - ASUS X570 Plus

All sat in a Phantecks Enthoo case.

It is my third machine that I have built. Not tried hard line or soft tubing myself but might do on next build in a couple of years. I shall upgrade when the 400 series GPU's come out in 2/3 years maybe. Happy to answer anything needed really

Edited by Mikeyboy636
Submitted by accident
  • Like 1

I love building my own systems too.  👍  My current desktop is a 2700X-based system that I built a year or two ago..

CPU :: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core
CPU Cooler :: Corsair H115i PRO Water Cooler
MB :: Asus Crosshair VII Hero
Memory :: 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200
HD :: WD Black 500 GB M.2 NVME SSD
GPU :: Radeon RX480 8 GB
Case :: Corsair Carbide 600Q Full Tower
PSU :: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 850 W 80+ Titanium Fully Modular

OS is currently Ubuntu 19.10 "Eoan Ermine".  I can't really recommend Ubuntu these days, but Linux itself works great for both (sw dev) work and games.  (Among other things I'm an occasional Minecraft player, hardcore Kerbal Space Program addict, and lately I've been getting back into Cities: Skylines.. via Steam no less.)  I've also had Manjaro on it in the past and I might go back to that if Ubuntu continues to annoy me.

The cooler, GPU, case, and PSU are from a previous build.  That was an AMD FX-8370 system which I overclocked so the cooler and PSU made more sense there.  For this system I'm only pulling about 400W so they're currently overkill, but the parts you already have are cheap.  The cooler and case make this a very quiet system too.  If I really push it I can get some fan noise going but usually it is totally quiet.  Someday I'll probably overclock this system too so the heat/noise/power headroom is handy to have in reserve.

I want to upgrade the GPU, but they're expensive and the RX 480 is (still) quite serviceable.  I'd have to spend quite a lot more $$ than I'm willing to part with to get a decent enough performance jump to make it worth the trouble.  I'd also like a bump in memory speed but again price is still a deterrent.  Needs vs. wants and all that.  :) This system - plus an upgrade or two as above - will probably keep me going for another couple years.

I do all my initial build planning on pcpartpicker so if you're -really- interested specs and convenient links are online there...

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/jmgrant/saved/drB6sY 

edit: that 500G SSD might seem a bit small by today's standards but I forgot to mention that I netmount a 5TB partition from a nearby Synology NAS as my data drive ("D: drive" for you Windos users :D) so the SSD is just for "C: drive" system/boot stuff and a couple active projects/games.  The NAS is where I put all my video, pictures, music, documents, etc.

edit 2:  I also built my brother a (much cheaper) system for his birthday last year.  If I had it to do over I'd put in one of the newer APUs instead of the 2200G since one of the first things he wanted to do was upgrade the GPU/GFX for gaming.  I think with a more recent APU that wouldn't be necessary,   Do note that the case & MB support a full-sized GFX card if such an upgrade ever does become necessary/desirable and you want to get started with a minimum of $$$ outlay and upgrade later as funds become available.  The AM4 socket (thanks AMD!) also supports upgrades all the way up to some of the Ryzen 7 CPUs as well.   https://pcpartpicker.com/user/jmgrant/saved/pzsGf7

Edited by efaardvark
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, efaardvark said:

I love building my own systems too.  👍  My current desktop is a 2700X-based system that I built a year or two ago..

CPU :: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core
CPU Cooler :: Corsair H115i PRO Water Cooler
MB :: Asus Crosshair VII Hero
Memory :: 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200
HD :: WD Black 500 GB M.2 NVME SSD
GPU :: Radeon RX480 8 GB
Case :: Corsair Carbide 600Q Full Tower
PSU :: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 850 W 80+ Titanium Fully Modular

OS is currently Ubuntu 19.10 "Eoan Ermine".  I can't really recommend Ubuntu these days, but Linux itself works great for both (sw dev) work and games.  (Among other things I'm an occasional Minecraft player, hardcore Kerbal Space Program addict, and lately I've been getting back into Cities: Skylines.. via Steam no less.)  I've also had Manjaro on it in the past and I might go back to that if Ubuntu continues to annoy me.

The cooler, GPU, case, and PSU are from a previous build.  That was an AMD FX-8370 system which I overclocked so the cooler and PSU made more sense there.  For this system I'm only pulling about 400W so they're currently overkill, but the parts you already have are cheap.  The cooler and case make this a very quiet system too.  If I really push it I can get some fan noise going but usually it is totally quiet.  Someday I'll probably overclock this system too so the heat/noise/power headroom is handy to have in reserve.

I want to upgrade the GPU, but they're expensive and the RX 480 is (still) quite serviceable.  I'd have to spend quite a lot more $$ than I'm willing to part with to get a decent enough performance jump to make it worth the trouble.  I'd also like a bump in memory speed but again price is still a deterrent.  Needs vs. wants and all that.  :) This system - plus an upgrade or two as above - will probably keep me going for another couple years.

I do all my initial build planning on pcpartpicker so if you're -really- interested specs and convenient links are online there...

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/jmgrant/saved/drB6sY 

edit: that 500G SSD might seem a bit small by today's standards but I forgot to mention that I netmount a 5TB partition from a nearby Synology NAS as my data drive ("D: drive" for you Windos users :D) so the SSD is just for "C: drive" system/boot stuff and a couple active projects/games.  The NAS is where I put all my video, pictures, music, documents, etc.

edit 2:  I also built my brother a (much cheaper) system for his birthday last year.  If I had it to do over I'd put in one of the newer APUs instead of the 2200G since one of the first things he wanted to do was upgrade the GPU/GFX for gaming.  I think with a more recent APU that wouldn't be necessary,   Do note that the case & MB support a full-sized GFX card if such an upgrade ever does become necessary/desirable and you want to get started with a minimum of $$$ outlay and upgrade later as funds become available.  The A4 socket (thanks AMD!) also supports upgrades all the way up to some of the Ryzen 7 CPUs as well.   https://pcpartpicker.com/user/jmgrant/saved/pzsGf7

That absolutely blows my mind. I have no experience in coding nor programming but using operating system like those to get an advantage in that sense fascinates me. I mean I have no idea what the benefits are, and I guess I wouldn't see a benefit using other operating systems besides windows for everyday use. Really wish I could start learning those types of skills ;-;

As for your build, that sounds pretty solid. Wish I knew how'd it look. No RGB or anything? I personally don't like RGB but I understand the appeal. From what I know the RX480 is not quite a new card, but gets basic games today well over 60fps on 1080p if configured correctly. I honestly agree with holding back UPGRADING graphics cards though. Especially if one has a relatively serviceable one. they are pretty pricey with not so impressive performance changes since the last generation(well from NVIDIA anyways). But hey, for some people if you got money to spend, Id do whatever yea want.

I think i failed to mention my system. not sure if it matters or if anyone cares but ill post it anyways

I got an Intel based system which i noticed none of you guys have. Well tbh, since ryzen came out i wouldnt argue it being a better option. mainly for video editing, streaming, and video games

CPU- Intel i7 8700k

Cooler- a 240mm liquid cooling. i think it was an nzxt one. not to sure. cant check since my pc is a solid black midtower case with no glass panels or anything

Graphics- RTX 2080 Super 

Memory- 16GB(2x8GB) DDR4 2666mhz

Storage- totally forgot. but im pretty sure I have 1 1tb SSD for my bootdrive and software, another 1tb SSD for games and general media, and 1 5tb HDD for all purpose media like pictures and movies I've watched. 

heres a quick pic from the front. really need to fix those cables running from the back though.

JPEG_20200424_103435.thumb.jpg.e621a97af0191d624eb9d0c001aaa45d.jpg

@Mikeyboy636 Love the specs. what were your builds before?

@ArchieKun WOULD LOVE TO HEAR/SEE THOSE DETAILS FAM

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Fraggiebaby said:

As for your build, that sounds pretty solid. Wish I knew how'd it look. No RGB or anything? I personally don't like RGB but I understand the appeal. From what I know the RX480 is not quite a new card, but gets basic games today well over 60fps on 1080p if configured correctly. I honestly agree with holding back UPGRADING graphics cards though. Especially if one has a relatively serviceable one. they are pretty pricey with not so impressive performance changes since the last generation(well from NVIDIA anyways). But hey, for some people if you got money to spend, Id do whatever yea want.

The case is boring.  Black on black, with no RGB anything in sight.  It doesn’t even have a transparent side panel.   In fact - due mostly to the fact that my last build had so much fan noise to cool it that it sounded like a small-plane airport - on this build I went for quiet.  The side panels are about half an inch of solid acoustic rubber.  Peace and quiet at last!  :D 

E3169662-1FF6-4EBF-BE8E-D90CD8261403.jpeg.40ff7bd4d42dfb1ae6065eb11a15a657.jpeg

The GFX card does have some lighting.  Anything recent enough and you basically can’t avoid those blasted little lights.  It is well hidden inside the case however where I don’t have to notice it. :)

Regarding the gfx card situation, I posted in another topic about this a while back.  Prices have changed a bit since then, and the new AMD cards are out, but I still don't see anything compelling enough for the price to upgrade from the RX480.

Edited by efaardvark
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1

1 hour ago, efaardvark said:

The case is boring.  Black on black, with no RGB anything in sight.  It doesn’t even have a transparent side panel.   In fact - due mostly to the fact that my last build had so much fan noise to cool it that it sounded like a small-plane airport - on this build I went for quiet.  The side panels are about half an inch of solid acoustic rubber.  Peace and quiet at last!  :D 

E3169662-1FF6-4EBF-BE8E-D90CD8261403.jpeg.40ff7bd4d42dfb1ae6065eb11a15a657.jpeg

The GFX card does have some lighting.  Anything recent enough and you basically can’t avoid those blasted little lights.  It is well hidden inside the case however where I don’t have to notice it. :)

Regarding the gfx card situation, I posted in another topic about this a while back.  Prices have changed a bit since then, and the new AMD cards are out, but I still don't see anything compelling enough for the price to upgrade from the RX480.

That is dope af. love the case. i just love the minimal design hands down. same with mine as well. just a black box and only has imporant things where it counts

lol and looking at your case i noticed the corsair logo. i love their products. wish my case was as fancy branded as yours ;-; lol

JPEG_20200424_122201.thumb.jpg.fe1fb908dc53d60fd7977fdd0ae86bec.jpg

Edited by Fraggiebaby
  • Like 3

This thread (and the 96 degree weather forecast for this weekend) got me thinking I should get in there and do a bit of dusting.  Took a pic while doing so.  I also plugged in the rgb power for the bottom fans there and seated the jumper enabling the mb rgb, just for effect.  The default lighting scheme makes it look like a unicorn barfed in there to me.   :)  🦄 

805FE82C-A9E3-4CEC-BDB8-703E5A4FD026.thumb.jpeg.ad0e834c8f40e0379fe7e62da1ed3346.jpeg

(*after dusting.)

• Like 1

As for my desktop PC.... let's not talk about that old war machine 😆 At least it's fun trying to optimize its limited capabilities (Ok, it not that bad, runs most games... on low settings); I mean, I'm no distro-hopper but I do use it a lot to check out new Linux distros, though I mainly use Linux Mint on it (I used to use Manjaro which I liked but it was kind of unstable, for some reason.), and trying to install a distro and making it as light weight as possible is a well-spend afternoon XD.

When I actually want to get some work done I use a Thinkpad P51s. Works smoothly for everything I do and the graphics card, Quadro P500 mostly used for designing 3D modelling, might not allow it to play games on high settings but incredibly useful for pushing some matrices and vector calculation on it. Mathematical and Phyics simulations work smoothly on it and everything is super-fast with my Fedroa 31. (KDE sometimes has a problem with detecting new sound output, kinda annoying when I often switch from the HDMI of my Monitor to the TV screen and often my headphones. Doesn't happen with Xfce or other DEs.)

To lazy to write the specs:

image.png.e207676b6ee3276409b99bbcbc56685d.png

10 hours ago, efaardvark said:

I use Ubuntu-based Linux Mint and runs pretty well for what I use it, some friends use it for actual work (when I want to get something done I always choose Fedora) and they don't seem to have any problems. so I wouldn't you recommend it? I really want to like Manjaro, but it just doesn't like me. :( Also, if you don't mind multi-boot for gaming, Debian-based SteamOS and Ubuntu-based Pop!_OS run really well with games; SteamOS... well, the name explains it and Pop!_OS as an OS that wants to establish itself as an all-around clutter free pastime/for some light work OS

9 hours ago, Fraggiebaby said:

That absolutely blows my mind. I have no experience in coding nor programming but using operating system like those to get an advantage in that sense fascinates me. I mean I have no idea what the benefits are, and I guess I wouldn't see a benefit using other operating systems besides windows for everyday use. Really wish I could start learning those types of skills ;-;

I think i failed to mention my system. not sure if it matters or if anyone cares but ill post it anyways

I got an Intel based system which i noticed none of you guys have. Well tbh, since ryzen came out i wouldnt argue it being a better option. mainly for video editing, streaming, and video games

CPU- Intel i7 8700k

Cooler- a 240mm liquid cooling. i think it was an nzxt one. not to sure. cant check since my pc is a solid black midtower case with no glass panels or anything

Graphics- RTX 2080 Super 

Memory- 16GB(2x8GB) DDR4 2666mhz

Storage- totally forgot. but im pretty sure I have 1 1tb SSD for my bootdrive and software, another 1tb SSD for games and general media, and 1 5tb HDD for all purpose media like pictures and movies I've watched. 

heres a quick pic from the front. really need to fix those cables running from the back though.

JPEG_20200424_103435.thumb.jpg.e621a97af0191d624eb9d0c001aaa45d.jpg

@Mikeyboy636 Love the specs. what were your builds before?

@ArchieKun WOULD LOVE TO HEAR/SEE THOSE DETAILS FAM

Hmm previous spec PC: CPU - Intel 3930K??, H100 AIO, GPU - GTX670 EVGA FTW edition, 16GB of RAM, that is about all I can remeber HAHA that PC lasted 6 years and did all the 1080p gaming I needed but felt time to move on up to 1440p, not sure about 4K at the moment as enjoying the depth that 1440p gives me, though I need a new monitor was thinking Alienware Ultrawide depending on budget. THe build prior to that god only knows what that was I used parts from random older PC's that I had and did what I could.

What are you looking to build if anything? For me I used youtubers for the help everytime/when I am bulding: LTT were a big help as were Jayztwocents and Pauls Hardware, really helpful unlike somepeople who just scream down the video and dont make any sence!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, leinwandname said:

I use Ubuntu-based Linux Mint and runs pretty well for what I use it, some friends use it for actual work (when I want to get something done I always choose Fedora) and they don't seem to have any problems. so I wouldn't you recommend it? I really want to like Manjaro, but it just doesn't like me. :( Also, if you don't mind multi-boot for gaming, Debian-based SteamOS and Ubuntu-based Pop!_OS run really well with games; SteamOS... well, the name explains it and Pop!_OS as an OS that wants to establish itself as an all-around clutter free pastime/for some light work OS

Ubuntu still hasn't caught up after their ill-fated excursion into a custom UI.  Remember the Ubuntu phone and the one UI for everything?  Yeah, that didn't work out, so they reverted to something buggy from several years ago.  I'm constantly running into (minor, to be sure) UI issues that have long-since been taken care of on other distros.  I recently tried to run their "Ubuntu Software" software installer and it locked up.  Fine, I usually use apt from the command line anyway.  Apt is my personal default, works fine, and is something most linux users probably know how to use anyway, but that's something every new user is going to run into.  For one of the flagship linux distros it is just lame.  Oh, and I have to mention the "desktop" search that involved google by default, and the Amazon icon on the desktop.  Down that path lies Windows.  Linux is great.  Canonical.. not so much.

I'm actually very interested in System76's Pop!_OS.  I do like System76's hardware lineup and they get really good reviews for their linux support, even from the pros.  In fact, I almost bought my desktop system from them instead of building it myself, but they only had/have intel systems and AMD is a much, much better choice these days in terms of CPU cycles per $$.  I still need a new laptop though and if they come up with a laptop built around one of the new AMD Ryzen 7/9 mobile APUs I'd certainly be interested.  My current laptop I bought back in 2013 and is running into issues so I figure it's about time for an upgrade.  If I go that route I'm highly likely to  put PopOS on my desktop as well.

edit: just checked and system76 now has threadripper desktops.. up to 16/32 cores!  I'd love to play with a system like that but I really don't have a good justification for getting one.  :D  As it is I only occasionally use all my 2700X's cores.  (Background processes like folding@home excepted.)  Still no Ryzen laptops however.  :(

Edited by efaardvark

6 hours ago, Mikeyboy636 said:

If you need single-threaded performance then Intel is still the way to go.  If you play games then you should care about single-threaded performance, especially 3D games since most of the game engines are still mainly single-threaded.  I mentioned Minecraft, Kerbal Space Program, and Cities: Skylines.  None of those use anywhere near all 8 of my 2700X's processor cores.  KSP uses one for the game engine (Unity) and one for the game code itself.  That's typical of a lot of games on the market now.  Even in the best of cases that means that while playing that game I'm wasting upwards of 75% of my processor's cycles.  If gaming were my main focus then I'd clearly be better off getting a faster CPU with fewer cores.  Intel has the highest single-core speeds out there.

That comes at a cost however, both in $$ and in other ways.  Heat is one of my major concerns for instance since I basically live in a desert.  Noise is another concern, and related to heat since generally you need more fans spinning faster and generating more noise to "get rid" of the heat.  (Scare quotes since really you're just dumping it out of the case into the room where you have to deal with it via more fans, air conditioning, etc..)  The physics says that heat scales with the cube of the processor clock so a higher clock means much higher heat output.  And of course Intel is infamous for not innovating - they're still on 14nm process while AMD already on 7nm and moving to 5! - and charging customers high prices for marginal performance increases CPU generation to CPU generation.

The situation is changing even for gaming however, especially now with vulkan becoming the cross-platform API for gfx.  Even before vulkan came along the 3D game devs on Unity, Unreal, etc. were working on better multithreaded support.  Vulkan just makes it that much easier to do so.  Non-gfx software libraries are also getting good at making full use of multiple cores.  I expect that within a few years even 3D games will take much better advantage of multi-cored CPUs.  If you already have an intel system then you're fine, especially if it is based on a multi-core processor like an i5 or an i7 from the last couple years.  For any new build however, or any build where the focus is not solely on single-core performance then AMD is likely the better choice.

3 hours ago, efaardvark said:

Ubuntu still hasn't caught up after their ill-fated excursion into a custom UI.  Remember the Ubuntu phone and the one UI for everything?  Yeah, that didn't work out, so they reverted to something buggy from several years ago.  I'm constantly running into (minor, to be sure) UI issues that have long-since been taken care of on other distros.  I recently tried to run their "Ubuntu Software" software installer and it locked up.  Fine, I usually use apt from the command line anyway.  Apt is my personal default, works fine, and is something most linux users probably know how to use anyway, but that's something every new user is going to run into.  For one of the flagship linux distros it is just lame.  Oh, and I have to mention the "desktop" search that involved google by default, and the Amazon icon on the desktop.  Down that path lies Windows.  Linux is great.  Canonical.. not so much.

I'm actually very interested in System76's Pop!_OS.  I do like System76's hardware lineup and they get really good reviews for their linux support, even from the pros.  In fact, I almost bought my desktop system from them instead of building it myself, but they only had/have intel systems and AMD is a much, much better choice these days in terms of CPU cycles per $$.  I still need a new laptop though and if they come up with a laptop built around one of the new AMD Ryzen 7/9 mobile APUs I'd certainly be interested.  My current laptop I bought back in 2013 and is running into issues so I figure it's about time for an upgrade.  If I go that route I'm highly likely to  put PopOS on my desktop as well.

edit: just checked and system76 now has threadripper desktops.. up to 16/32 cores!  I'd love to play with a system like that but I really don't have a good justification for getting one.  :D  As it is I only occasionally use all my 2700X's cores.  (Background processes like folding@home excepted.)  Still no Ryzen laptops however.  :(

Ah, I hadn't used the main distro but Linux Mint  which doesn't have this so I didn't know about the google search etc. ... very windows-esque....  I tried out the softwarecenter just now and it worked so far but then again Linux Mint which tries really hard to make it easy for new comers, so I guess you can expect these things to work, though the one on Fedora also works pretty smoothly. (not that I use them though....I mean, I even use NNN, a terminal-based file browser. Screw UI! People say the terminal is complicated but having to click through half a million menus is way more complicated that memorizing a few short cuts and commands). But it seems like Ubuntu is lagging behind...

Yeah, the Thelios are awesome, if I had a reason to buy a new PC (don't play nearly enough games anymore to justify a new PC) I'd probably go with one of these.

On 4/23/2020 at 4:28 AM, Mikeyboy636 said:

t is my third machine that I have built. Not tried hard line or soft tubing myself but might do on next build in a couple of years. I shall upgrade when the 400 series GPU's come out in 2/3 years maybe. Happy to answer anything needed really

I used a corsair 100i with my previous build. From my experience AIOs are on thee whole going to be better if your overclocking your CPU for game performance type applications, or even for content creation activities.  I have been building for over a decade now. I personally prefer air coolers over AIOs. I personally would not touch custom loops if you have only done a few systems. By no means am I trying to discourage you by any means. It can be very messy and even destroy a very expensive computer out of the gate. With that said done right a really good loop can cool everything all at once, and give far better performance then any AIO, or air cooler would under same situation.  I am also coming of the heals of what I suspected was a possible. pump failure. So I am a little Leary of water near my systems.  With that said its fun to learn about all tthee same.

Edited by ArchieKun

1 hour ago, ArchieKun said:

I used a corsair 100i with my previous build. From my experience AIOs are on thee whole going to be better if your overclocking your CPU for game performance type applications, or even for content creation activities.  I have been building for over a decade now. I personally prefer air coolers over AIOs. I personally would not touch custom loops if you have only done a few systems. By no means am I trying to discourage you by any means. It can be very messy and even destroy a very expensive computer out of the gate. With that said done right a really good loop can cool everything all at once, and give far better performance then any AIO, or air cooler would under same situation.  I am also coming of the heals of what I suspected was a possible. pump failure. So I am a little Leary of water near my systems.  With that said its fun to learn about all tthee same.

Electrons and water don't mix.   :)  That said, the commercial AIOs & water coolers that come pre-assembled and don't require breaking/making seals aren't that dangerous.  They can also help with things like cable placement since the heat collector part that actually attaches to the CPU is typically much smaller than an air cooler and attached fan.  I've also run into a couple motherboards with physical conflicts between RAM slots and certain air coolers and a smaller heat collector can help with those sorts of situations as well.

Custom loops and fittings are another matter entirely.  The more connections you have the more opportunity for leaks.  That can turn into a bad situation pretty quick either from water shorting something out or from the parts of the system losing cooling and shutting down or acting unreliable.  I too would stay away from custom setups unless I'm looking for trouble.  As a separate system/project apart from your main system it can be cool though, if you're into that sort of thing and have nothing better to do with the money.

• Awesome (Sugoi) 1

59 minutes ago, efaardvark said:

Electrons and water don't mix.   :)  That said, the commercial AIOs & water coolers that come pre-assembled and don't require breaking/making seals aren't that dangerous.  They can also help with things like cable placement since the heat collector part that actually attaches to the CPU is typically much smaller than an air cooler and attached fan.  I've also run into a couple motherboards with physical conflicts between RAM slots and certain air coolers and a smaller heat collector can help with those sorts of situations as well.

Custom loops and fittings are another matter entirely.  The more connections you have the more opportunity for leaks.  That can turn into a bad situation pretty quick either from water shorting something out or from the parts of the system losing cooling and shutting down or acting unreliable.  I too would stay away from custom setups unless I'm looking for trouble.  As a separate system/project apart from your main system it can be cool though, if you're into that sort of thing and have nothing better to do with the money.

Oh trust me this information I know very well in my experiences. I am very glad to brought up the comparison though as it certainly is noteworthy. I just personally prefer air cooling to water/liquid cooling. I am one of those people that while I know well how to build and do maintenance on a system I don't want to many extra risks, and or extra parts requiring to much maintenance. With that said AIOs require next to none compared to a custom loop they do have that rad that requires cleaning at least twice a year, and ideally every quarter. At least when it comes to my daily driver machine I need it work with little issues. Not to mention after building, or rather rebuilding my dayly driver just last week I really have found I prefer the look, and sound of my Nactua air cooler more then my Corsair 100i that I had just a week ago.

That, and fans fail far less then pumps even with high quality parts. It is still fun playing with, and learning about each type though. 

where did this thread come from all of a sudden? 😂

I used to be quite interested in computers, but that was quite some time ago before I started university and work. Nowadays I don't have the time for it, but I must say that the laptops I use, your average brand in the range of five hundred bucks, are garbage. I don't know if is the difference between laptop and desktop tower computers or something that applies to current hardware generally, but I am really surprised at how poorly many mid range laptops seem to perform.
If I find a new job which pays better and have the time I might get back into all of it. I was interested in building a new desktop tower computer from scratch, but not sure if I would really have the time. as for cooling I only used water cooling on some camera for work. I can't really remember what we used it for but it was a really expensive camera which had an 'error rate of one electron' or something strange like that. anyway, since I had never configured a water cooling system I really thought I might mess it up and destroy the camera. it wasn't that difficult though, when you know how to use tubes and those tube screws or what they are called in English. Your average air cooling is much simpler though.

And speaking of quiet, no-RGB builds I like this one.  Probably a bit on the expensive side, but it being for a person doing streaming work the extra money spent on a nice sound card and the water-cooled custom loop (including GPU) to keep the fan noise down is probably worth it.  I would stick to just an AIO for the CPU only and leave out the sound card if it were my system.

• Like 1

PaulsHardware just had a bit of discussion about low- and mid-range CPUs (& APUs).  Kinda heavy on the jargon but at the same time targeted at new users just getting into building their own systems.  Thought there might be some interest in that sort of thing here so, here you go...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I want to get this topic moving again at least for those who are interested by asking a few questions.

1. Favorite activities that you use your computer for. This can be anything from gaming/research, or even just forums. 

2. What is your favorite software, or apps that you like, and use a lot.

3. Favorite web browser. Yes this is a app, or application but it is so popular, and used so much it gets its own section. :) 

4. Why do you like computers, I realize this one is very subjective. ^^

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(1) I normally am browsing forums, chatting with my fiends, researching endlessly, and recently sense I watch a crap ton of YouTube I have been getting into podcasts.

(20 For me my favorite apps have to be Twitch for watching streamers I follow, Discord for chatting with my friends though I like, and use others as well, Strangely my word processor because I am a writer gotta make my stories. :) Other then that its hard for me to honestly pick favorites as I use what I need to. 

(3) My favorite web browser hands down is Brave. Itt is very privacy focused and its based in chromium which makes it even better for many reasons.

(4) I have always loved knowing how things work it is just something that makes me well me so computers have just always came natural to me.

Liking AMD's new 3300x and 3100.  Yeah they are low end kit, but especially the 3300x stomps all over Intel's core i5.  If you're on a budget they're definitely worth a look.

And you gotta love the laugh.  🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1