PS5 Event Set for June 4th 1:00 PM PDT

RepentantSky

That's right, for those waiting for the news of the PS5's rumored June event, the wait is over and the rumors are done. Sony has posted a PS5 even is coming Thursday June 4th. I'll be sure to post the biggest points of news after it's over, but in the meantime, let's use this announcement to talk about what our hopes for the PS5 are going to be, along with anything else next gen.  

Edited by RepentantSky

From what I've been able to gather the 8/16 core processor(s) and RDNA2 GPU cores should give the PS5 roughly the specs of a PC running an AMD Ryzen 7 3700X CPU and a 5700XT GPU.  The GPU side of things is still a bit of a mystery because there's no RDNA2-based gfx card out yet to directly compare against, but I'd take a 5700XT as a minimum.  RDNA2 also has built-in support for ray tracing too though, and possibly/probably other process improvements.  We'll have a better idea about RDNA2's capabilities when AMD's 6000-series "Big NAVI" cards come out.

Add to that a ~900GB SSD that's literally over a hundred times faster than the PS4's spinny disk (2GB of data transferred in 0.27 seconds on the PS5 vs ~30 seconds for PS4), 16GB of (GDDR6) RAM, and "3d" rendered audio.  Overall a nice bit of kit.  Of course, price and release date are still TBD.

Edited by efaardvark

1 hour ago, efaardvark said:

From what I've been able to gather the 8/16 core processor(s) and RDNA2 GPU cores should give the PS5 roughly the specs of a PC running an AMD Ryzen 7 3700X CPU and a 5700XT GPU.  The GPU side of things is still a bit of a mystery because there's no RDNA2-based gfx card out yet to directly compare against, but I'd take a 5700XT as a minimum.  RDNA2 also has built-in support for ray tracing too though, and possibly/probably other process improvements.  We'll have a better idea about RDNA2's capabilities when AMD's 6000-series "Big NAVI" cards come out.

Add to that a ~900GB SSD that's literally over a hundred times faster than the PS4's spinny disk (2GB of data transferred in 0.27 seconds on the PS5 vs ~30 seconds for PS4), 16GB of (GDDR6) RAM, and "3d" rendered audio.  Overall a nice bit of kit.  Of course, price and release date are still TBD.

What I find interesting about the PS5, is that compared to the Xbox, the I/O Throughput is doubled. While that won't mean much for multiplats, It will mean a lot for exclusives, so that could be a big system seller. 

More to the point of your post though, depending on the price range of the PS5, it might for a time, make mid range, the lower end of high range PC's seems too expensive in comparison. That may only last a year or so, but the fact that it could potentially do that, is really interesting to me. Consoles usually come out as cheaper version of the equivalent mid range PC, but both Xbox and PS5 have made a bigger leap this gen than any previous, and the SSD capabilities of either system might actually make them more powerful than that range they normally go for. 

2 hours ago, RepentantSky said:

More to the point of your post though, depending on the price range of the PS5, it might for a time, make mid range, the lower end of high range PC's seems too expensive in comparison. That may only last a year or so, but the fact that it could potentially do that, is really interesting to me. Consoles usually come out as cheaper version of the equivalent mid range PC, but both Xbox and PS5 have made a bigger leap this gen than any previous, and the SSD capabilities of either system might actually make them more powerful than that range they normally go for. 

A lot depends on price and release date.  At the rate that AMD is releasing new processors and upgrading their process if it takes until the end of the year for the PS5 to get here then that'll be kind of hard to sell.  I can build a nice 3700X system with a decent motherboard, a 5700xt gfx card, an NVMe SSD, and 16GB of RAM right now for about $800.  By the end of the year that processor, mobo, and GPU will be cheaper last-gen parts so I'd probably be able to shave at least a couple/few hundred off that price by then.  If the PS5 comes out at more than $500 or later than July or August (by which time AMD will have released their next CPUs and GPUs) then it'll really only be of interest to existing playstation owners.  Maybe Sony could sweeten the deal with bundles and such, but that kind of thing only goes so far.

The PS5's SSD isn't really much of a selling point either.  I mean, yeah it is good that it is there but even low-end motherboards have an NVME-capable M.2 slot these days.  The PS5's slot is also an M.2 so there's nothing really special about it hardware-wise.  It is definitely a step up from the PS4's storage system, but these days an SSD is kind of required on a new system.

All that said, that PS5/Unreal V demo did get a lot of favorable attention.  If that is the caliber of games we can expect on release day then that would be pretty cool and I'm sure it would drive sales even with a price headwind.  Also, MSFT and Sony seem to be playing a game of chicken with regards to announcing the pricing of their respective consoles.  The hardware in MSFT's system is probably cheaper to produce.  If they came out first with a price that works for them then I can see Sony matching the price, even if it means they take a loss initially.

• Like 1

I have been following the PS5 development information, or lack there of for some time now, and I have to say this should be good. Given Sony's history as well as its nature as a company it dose more, or less line up. The lack of information outside the technical specifications has certainly generated hype as well as entreating debates.. Now we're about to see if it is in fact all worth it. 

It's not cancelled, just delayed. I'm sure a new date will be announced soon, though I imagine it might take longer than other delayed gaming events considering how serious Sony has been about helping with the cause of Black Lives Matter.