Please help me figure out what anime this is?

Adelissa

My drs office was playing it and I know he plays stuff from netflix and hulu but this was a few months ago. I don't watch anime per se but I found myself drawn in and really want to find it and finish it. What I remember is not much but I will try to be as detailed as possible. 

1) this was a series but we were watching a movie or special episode that was longer than the normal episodes. Because of this, these details might not be indicative of the overall plot of the series but just the movie or special episode. 

2) it is fantasy based, in other words not modern, no mentions of high school or things like that.  They were on a quest to stop a bad guy (sorry I don't remember more than that)

3) the main character (possibly main character?) was married with kids but looked like a kid himself. Out of nowhere he transformed into a god with powers (and seemed to give him a bit of a big head but not in an evil way more in a laughable way

4) I am not positive but in addition to 2 small children he had a teenage daughter who had a love interest who was also fighting this cause (I don't 100% remember if she was his daughter but I think so but I definitely remember the two little kids)

5) his wife had her hair in a bun and was brunette. He was blonde. They were short. In other words, not drawn to scale. not the more serious romantic anime I have seen photos of.

6) I don't remember where they come in at but there were some sidekicks that didn't quite seem human one was a purple blob like guy.  I want to say his name started with s but I can't be sure.

7) I did come straight home and find this. I just have a very bad memory and now can't figure out what it was. My best friend is into anime but she is stumped and I really wanted to share this with her. 

8) I want to say when I did find it it was an american production based off a Japanese manga but take that with a grain of salt, I could be wrong. It was fully in english with no subtitles (but I know there is a thing called dubbing so that doesn't necessarily mean anything)

9) I dont remember the exact year it came out but it was in the last 10-12 years so not a classic. 

10) It has been suggested to me that this wasn't anime but a cartoon of some sort but the fight scenes seemed very much like anime. The close-ups on faces etc. I have watched a little anime to know some of the aspects of it and I am pretty sure this is classified as anime. 

Please help! I have looked and searched to no avail and when I can't think of something it drives me crazy!