Sub or dub

高唯🙃

Just a bit curious,  are people watching anime subbed or dubbed? Personally I prefer subbed so that I can hear the Japanese as I watch the anime, and sometimes I’m able to learn a couple of phrases of Japanese as well. Ik a lot of people also prefer dubbed though it would be great if someone could explain why dubbed is so popular as well.😁 ty

• Like 1

i could watch either. but i do watch sub more. i think sometimes it just depends on what your use to hearing with that certain anime. Because sometimes i will watch one with dub and then sub and  i may like the dub more in that certain anime.

• Like 2

I suppose it also matters which you watch the anime in first as well? I mean I normally only watch sub but I forgot to change it to sub when I was watching the rising of the shield hero, and now I can’t stand to watch the subbed version of it because it sounds weird to me.

I normally watch subs, but my “when mom is around anime’s” include the dubbed version of Naruto. Apparently she read it has milder language. So, sometimes I watch dubs. 

• Like 2

Subs, always.  Or nothing.  I’m not conversational but I understand spoken Japanese well enough that I often don’t even need the subtitles.

• Awesome (Sugoi) 2

I preferred sub because I really started watching a lot of animes in sub, but I do like to watch it in dub. For certain animes, the english voice actors really fit the characters like naruto and dbz for example.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I like both!!! But if Funimation or Viz are involved I usually go dub if I can. I grew up listening to those voices man, they’re part of my childhood. ❤️

Before i watch the anime, i check both subs and dubs. If i don´t like the dub, I go for subs. If i like the dub, I go for the dub.

I have only watched three dubbed animes:

Death Note (both English and Czech, though the latter is very hit or miss imho. Either the character sounds fine, or  really horrible. Nothing inbetween) (and yes, the czechs dubbed quite a lot of anime, until Animax stopped broadcasting here in 201X, don´t remember the exact year) (not posting a link (" no unlicensed downloads and streaming sites")

Jojo´s (The english dub is good, no one will change my mind.)

Hellsing (Also dubbed in Czech, czech Alucard is 🤬 fantastic as far as czech anime dubs go.) (not posting a link (you know the deal)

EDIT: as it turns out, both czech dubs are on youtube lol (still not posting the links because i am unsure if the rules cover that)

Edited by PrestigeTweeker

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I watch both but it honestly depends on the situation. Some anime like Dragon Ball Z and Wolf's Rain I grew up watching Dubbed because that's what was aired on TV so I still watch them dubbed. Others I'll watch subbed mainly unless I'm with my fiance because he claims he can't keep up with the speed of the subs. 

• 2 weeks later...

Sub 100% of the time. No way I can watch Dub. This is after all suppose to be in Japanese. I do understand missing on some of the scenes because of having to read the subtitles. I personally don't mind, ill just rewind by 5 or 10 seconds if I can't read the English fast enough. I have taken the initiative to learn Japanese though :)

1 hour ago, Cyclosporum said:

Sub 100% of the time. No way I can watch Dub. This is after all suppose to be in Japanese. I do understand missing on some of the scenes because of having to read the subtitles. I personally don't mind, ill just rewind by 5 or 10 seconds if I can't read the English fast enough. I have taken the initiative to learn Japanese though :)

That's me too.  After a few bad experiences I never bother with dubs any more.  I've always been a fast reader anyway.  I can read a whole novel between dinner and breakfast.  :)  I can't exactly sight-read but I can take in a sentence or two at a time in my peripheral vision without even really shifting my eyes from the action.  That plus I know enough Japanese to understand most of it without even needing the subs.   I'm not conversational but with material that's simple or that I'm already familiar with I usually turn off the captions entirely and just go with the original Japanese audio.

2 hours ago, efaardvark said:

That's me too.  After a few bad experiences I never bother with dubs any more.  I've always been a fast reader anyway.  I can read a whole novel between dinner and breakfast.  :)  I can't exactly sight-read but I can take in a sentence or two at a time in my peripheral vision without even really shifting my eyes from the action.  That plus I know enough Japanese to understand most of it without even needing the subs.   I'm not conversational but with material that's simple or that I'm already familiar with I usually turn off the captions entirely and just go with the original Japanese audio.

Sometimes when something is said in an anime. I just naturally understand what they said or what the sentence was about. Don't get me wrong though, I am taking baby steps learning Japanese and does not happen often to me. Sometimes information just clicks into you subconsciously. I know this sounds crazy but I am sure most of us have at least experienced it a few times haha.