Need anime recommendation

kya

Question

Hi everyone! Does anyone know of a slow-paced brooding series with a female lead? Preferably with a journey as the main plot structure and mysterious (but not at all thriller) vibes, where they let you guess a lot and don't explain anything explicitly. I know these are very specific, but just on the off chance that this story is actually out there and someone here watched it

4 answers to this question

I'd second Haibane Renmei.  Lain is a bit hard-core.  (To put it mildly, and not in a sexual sense.. more like Inception-level mind-messing.  Plus there's a bit of gore and thriller-ness.)  Another one that might be what you're looking for is So Ra no Wo To, or maybe Girls Last Tour (少女終末旅).

I guess I'd throw in Gakkougurashi too.  It is technically a post-apocalyptic zombie psycho-thriller but you would never know it from the first few episodes.  It starts after the "event" and for most of the series it is just a sort of shoujo mystery.  Definitely "brooding" - or at least foreboding - for most of the series.  Only once or twice do you even see zombies.  Mostly they're just part of the somewhat hidden backstory.

hth..