Recommended series for 9 year olds who love anime

er0

Question

My 9 year old son and daughter love anime. We have watched all of the Slayers series, and Robotech (The Macross Saga). We have also watched most of what we could get by Hayao Miyazaki. We are now looking for the next series to watch. I would love to get recommendations from other members!

13 answers to this question

4 hours ago, er0 said:

Cardcaptors, and my kids thought it was a bit "babyish

Magic Knight Rayearth might be more their speed as the leads are a bit older & it’s more action oriented. There’s also Deltora Quest which is an anime based on an Australian fantasy children’s book series. And Ronja the Robber’s Daughter which is a Ghibli inspired/inflenced series.

I actually thought Robotech & Slayers were a bit advanced for that age :P But then I started out with Star Blazers around age  10, so ... If you can find the original series (Quest for Iscandar & The Comet Empire) they might enjoy it, though the animation is kinda dated. The updated versions (2199 & 2202) get a bit overly philosophical & metaphysical.

For something similar to Slayers, maybe Record of the Lodoss War.

Then there’s always stuff like My Hero Academia & Hunter x Hunter. 

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1

Cardcaptors, Petite Princess Yucie (your son may not enjoy that one quite as much but it has some good humor), Reboot (a classic Mainframe), Code Lyoko (french anime but very well crafted storyline), all come to mind. 

• Agree 1
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1

@Ohiotaku I thought it was too! I guess kids are growing up faster than we did lol...

I'll add in Moribito (a classic), Galaxy Railways (more action oriented, I initially excluded it because it does have death in it), Solty Rei (good scifi), and Escaflowne.

Thanks, lots of options to try! Yes, my kids are a bit ahead of their years in their understanding and perception. But at the same time I don't want to expose them to overly bad language (some is ok), excessive violence etc. This makes the Miyazaki movies perfect - because they are thought provoking, inward and immersive, but also don't have elements that make it inappropriate for children. We enjoyed Ponyo, Totoro, Howl's moving castle and many others very much.

Slayers was perfect - the main issue there was language. The violence is peppered with humor - and the series is very funny, especially for my kids' age. We also only watched the series, not the movies. Robotech (Macross) is another good example - they understood and enjoyed everything. And anyway, I watch these with them, so we talk about the content extensively - they were pretty bummed when Rick Hunter died in Robotech, and that triggered a general conversation on Death.

But thanks a lot for these suggestions!

45 minutes ago, er0 said:

they were pretty bummed when Rick Hunter died in Robotech

It’s been a while since I watched it, but think you might mean Roy Fokker (Rick’s big-brother figure). Again, if you can find the original Star Blazers (aka Space Battleship Yamato) there are some similarites.

45 minutes ago, er0 said:

Slayers was perfect - the main issue there was language. The violence is peppered with humor - and the series is very funny, especially for my kids' age. We also only watched the series, not the movies

Yeah, best not to expose children to Naga’s cleavage 🤣 Along the same lines as Slayers, they also might like Radiant.

Edited by Ohiotaku

t’s been a while since I watched it, but think you might mean Roy Fokker (Rick’s big-brother figure). Again, if you can find the original Star Blazers (aka Space Battleship Yamato) there are some similarites.

Ah yes, I misspoke. I meant Roy.

Yeah, best not to expose children to Naga’s cleavage 🤣 Along the same lines as Slayers, they also might like Radiant.

Yes, I figured I would wait :) Also I didn't like the movies that much myself.  If something is truly good, then it's fine to explain around small amounts of dubious content, but not in this case :)

We finished both seasons of Radiant. The kids loved it, and say this is their favorite anime series so far, better than Slayers and Robotech. Does anything else come to mind that we can watch of this type? :)

Naruto, Dragon Ball, etc. Anything that appeals to them without too much fan service. Plus, these anime will help them understand anime a bit more.

Besides, who hasnt seen at least a small piece of dragon ball?