Sign in to follow this  
wikkidgrace

Can we talk about Aggretsuko?

So, if you've been watching Aggretsuko, you can probably recognise how relatable it is. The characters are all a part of this adult 9-5 ecosystem. I can't help but root for Retsuko and her quest to find happiness and fulfillment in her life.

Currently, we've made it to season 3. I have to get something off my chest here. So-- spoilers ahead.

The whole dynamic between Inui, Haida, and Retsuko. I don't feel good about it. This entire time, the series has been spotlighting Retsuko making hard decisions for herself. FFS she has turned down life as a billionaire's sugar baby and rockstar fame-- both whilst finding herself in dire financial straits. It's also been, on the side, building up Haida to be the underdog who is bound to win the girl in the end.

I just can't help but feel like Retsuko doesn't want that. Or maybe she does? She's turned him down twice. Inui was totally into him, and it can only be assumed Haida was interested to some degree. I love that Inui had grace in finding out his heart wasn't in it. But where does that leave Haida and Retsuko? He basically forced himself in at the end of the season there. I'll give him points for the confidence, but Retsuko literally told him she wasn't okay and didn't feel safe.

So where does this go from here? The season ended on what might have been a cliffhanger. Do you think she will give things a try with Haida? Will she stay or ultimately end things with him? In a narrative sense, I expect the writers will give the prize to Haida. But damn it if that doesn't leave me disappointed. I guess I just don't want her to 'settle'. It seems like the wrong outcome for a character who has such big dreams.

• Like 1

I think this upcoming season 4 might focus on her trying to be happy. Aside from the accounting job she did with OTM Girls and the fact that she helped make /build the business, the other attempts she's made with happiness have been very shallow. I mean take a look at the first business with her friend who runs an online store, those guys she dated whether it be the boring plant guy Resasuke or the Bear dude Hirota, even dating the billionaire tech mogul Tadano. They were all ways to try to escape the modern life that she's so tired of. There was a glimmer of hope at the very end of season 3 with Haida claiming they can "punch" or hit the world back. Meaning if she's afraid, he'll help her be strong so that they can fight it together. I'm hoping that's where they take it. Instead of flimsy little methods to escape, I'm hoping she learned from her experience with OTM Girls. That she will need to fully embrace that job or that life that she has and really buckle down on fighting for the life that she wants. Haida says  he "wanted to be where you(Aggretsuko ) belong" this might just mean that he'll be her support in fighting the battles that may come. Who knows? She might be a pop idol again revisiting the Aggretsuko name but the fact the she doesn't have to hide it anymore, might make it easier for her to make it a complete reality. Through that maybe she can find her true happiness.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MeandMyImaginaryFriends said:

the other attempts she's made with happiness have been very shallow.

This is very true. The OTM arc seemed so promising and it's a shame what happened. I had hope she would stick it out with them because for once she seemed pretty confident in herself, even going so far as to tell Ton that he didn't own her. 

I guess what bothers me so much about Haida is that besides his wild crush on Retsuko, the series hasn't given him much of a personality of his own and it makes him seem like this underdog character whose only function in life is to chase after the MC. I would love it if the anime gave me more of a reason to like Haida other than just overstating how much he wants Retsuko. He got a little bit of screen time this season, but it wasn't sufficient to establish him as a relatable character.