Where's THK?

The History Kid

Greetings and salutations AF.

I am posting this here, because I am not sure it would be appropriate to post out in the open (I will leave that for others to decide).

The last few months have been exceptionally busy.  When you consider everything that 2020 has provided many of us, that's not a hard feat to believe.  May saw an extended need for being out of the office, a rise in civil unrest, and other things that threw monkey wrenches into my planning left and right.  June exacerbated that, and by July things had formally evolved into something entirely different.  We got slammed with two natural disasters this year, and are still recovering from the first.  It's been a rollercoaster ride for sure.

With that being said, I've had research requests piling up on my own site, projects that need to be done, and have also taken up Twitch streaming.  In the midst of that, I also started a second set of classes, added a jet pilot training course to my load, and formally accepted a mod slot in a Discord server for an L.A. based voice actress.  Shortly after I got brought on as an IP Advisor for her, and have since been doing a bunch of things behind the scenes.  Therein lies the problem - this is in addition to what I'm already doing.  The autopilot nature of AF - at least as it has seemed - has thusly been shoved way to the back of my mind.

With that being said, I am stepping back from AF on the web site.  I will continue to  provide support in the Discord server if wanted, but I don't find it much fair to AF to be labeled a mod if I'm not really doing anything mod-like.

Of course, you all can continue to reach out to me over there on Discord, or any of my site-related points of contact - but as for AF proper, I probably won't be around all that much.

Good luck, and god speed!

Michael

• Like 1

On 9/21/2020 at 6:38 AM, The History Kid said:

Greetings and salutations AF.

I am posting this here, because I am not sure it would be appropriate to post out in the open (I will leave that for others to decide).

The last few months have been exceptionally busy.  When you consider everything that 2020 has provided many of us, that's not a hard feat to believe.  May saw an extended need for being out of the office, a rise in civil unrest, and other things that threw monkey wrenches into my planning left and right.  June exacerbated that, and by July things had formally evolved into something entirely different.  We got slammed with two natural disasters this year, and are still recovering from the first.  It's been a rollercoaster ride for sure.

With that being said, I've had research requests piling up on my own site, projects that need to be done, and have also taken up Twitch streaming.  In the midst of that, I also started a second set of classes, added a jet pilot training course to my load, and formally accepted a mod slot in a Discord server for an L.A. based voice actress.  Shortly after I got brought on as an IP Advisor for her, and have since been doing a bunch of things behind the scenes.  Therein lies the problem - this is in addition to what I'm already doing.  The autopilot nature of AF - at least as it has seemed - has thusly been shoved way to the back of my mind.

With that being said, I am stepping back from AF on the web site.  I will continue to  provide support in the Discord server if wanted, but I don't find it much fair to AF to be labeled a mod if I'm not really doing anything mod-like.

Of course, you all can continue to reach out to me over there on Discord, or any of my site-related points of contact - but as for AF proper, I probably won't be around all that much.

Good luck, and god speed!

Michael

personally, id announce it for everyone to know, but i dont mind eitherway, tbh

gonna miss you though, even though i dont frequent the discord of af-forums as much (unless i was mentioned/asked something/wanted to ask something)

tho...we didn't talk as much (though, i feel we mods dont really talk much eitherway?) it still should be said, you did a big part in regulating AF-forums

also, reason i only messaged now is couse, i didn't have the balls to send this >_>... but this has been on my mind

• 11 months later...

How appropriate.  

I come back one year later and I'm still a mod?

I love you guys, but you might wanna check your OPSEC - because this ain't it, hoss.

Wub you AF, even if you are dying a slow death.  I had tried to pull for you all, but after being passed over, I occupied my time elsewhere (as you can see - and then some).  Stay resilient and safe all.

• 1 year later...

So, I'm not entirely sure how it is that no one has done any revocation at this point.  I've literally seen Optic online here a ton since this post was made **two years ago**.  Apparently some people also seem to have thought that Wedgy and I just were busy and stepped away?  Nope.

I came back for a minute a few months ago to revoke permissions to some of my content, but at this point I'm frankly where I think anything attached to this account should be deleted - I've been doing that in plenty of places on the internet of late.  

I question the ethical handling of anything the staff is doing at this point, considering there's only one person who checks in to actually do anything (bless their heart).  The other is someone who is so laisse faire that they've effectively killed their website, two that aren't even around anymore, and one that keeps trying to shell off AF to some shady illegal anime streaming service through a merger.  AF membership be warned, seek other platforms to connect - nothing good is about to come from this place.

My last bit, I want to address Optic directly: I gave you an opportunity to avert the last three years.  In fact, I'm aware there were no fewer than three people who did.  Instead, you selected an individual who had no concept of how to make things work.  They instead were only a friendly face, but when the workload increased even the slightest bit, they bailed on you.  Let alone the fact they insisted I be on board because I knew what I was doing and they knew they didn't.  They pulled in several of us, in fact.  And here you sit for the last two years even after I had tended my resignation and leave me as a mod for a site that you continue to allow to die - all because you apparently have a disposable income and are hoping for someone to buy the domain off you.  When a scam artist came onto the site and started replicating content and stealing it, you did nothing.  You did not have nor do have any intention of fostering a community here, you only seek to either sit on a domain and wait for a cashflow, or simply do nothing at all.

I'm disappointed in the seniors on this "staff."  I'm more disappointed in those who facilitated letting this go on like this.  But most of all, I am concerned for the people who are still here who know no better of what the intentions of this owner is.  

• Agree 1

On 9/20/2021 at 11:39 PM, What the Fuck. said:

I will not share it publically due to a doxing attempt last year

On 9/20/2021 at 11:39 PM, What the Fuck. said:

P.S. I also saw the massively transphobic discussion on the staff forum and I just cannot in good conscience be a part of that.

Shit, this whole thing is appalling. It's tremendously upsetting that you were treated this way and disappointing to read about the Staff forum. 

On 9/21/2022 at 10:43 PM, The History Kid said:

I came back for a minute a few months ago to revoke permissions to some of my content, but at this point I'm frankly where I think anything attached to this account should be deleted - I've been doing that in plenty of places on the internet of late.  

Same. I was enjoying the site until a fellow member started reposting my art and a few lines of poetry I had written onto their Tumblr. It was an interesting experience. Optic was able to sponge my account, considering I found that I could no longer edit or delete my own content. No clue why the feature was suddenly removed, and without warning too. Then I started reading things that were going on behind the scenes but damn, I had no idea it was THIS bad. Thanks for being open with the community. I truly regret rejoining. 

What a shame.... It was nice making new friends here and I had hoped to catch up after a busy Summer but I no longer feel like I can support AF. The lack of concern or interest for the community and staff- remaining and former- is nothing short of disconcerting. What Wedgy had been put through really turns my stomach. 

It was also discouraging to find out that an individual I used to chat with was... well, I suppose they did what they did (or still do, I have no idea what they're up to these days) to keep topic flow going and I'll leave it at that. I get the passion they may have had to keep the site going but it didn't really sit well with me. Although it has more to do with the state of the forum rather than being completely dismayed with them. Overall, I feel it's not worth spending the time and energy here anymore. 

I feel so horrible that both of you are even needing to address these issues in the first place and not having your requests met is entirely baffling. Drives the final nail in the coffin about how I currently feel towards this place. You all did your best and then some. Beyond grateful! The members that still linger deserve better. Like everyone else that's been wise enough to leave sooner, I'd rather choose dignity. 

By the way, thanks for the book recommendations on German aircraft, THK. They eventually led me to model building again, fun stuff. Appreciate you taking the time to discuss your work with me on a few occasions. Especially during the pandemic. Stimulating insight, was always intriguing to read. Be well and again, thanks for everything you've all contributed as members and Mods. All the best to you and your loved ones Wedgy. Super-Mom is an understatement. 

• Agree 1

@The History Kid @What the Fuck. I am somehow just learning about some of this now, I just want to address that I've been present here checking in everyday for the last couple of years too. I had no clue about these inner quarrels, nor did I ever hear about this transphobic ciscussion, but I will root out wherevere it comes from right now.

Probably not much use to it since the Forums aren't very active, but heck, I'll do it anyways.

To any others, I am still an active moderator around, so please don't hesitate to come to me if any trouble arises.

On 10/10/2022 at 9:00 AM, Hällregn said:

It was also discouraging to find out that an individual I used to chat with was... well, I suppose they did what they did (or still do, I have no idea what they're up to these days) to keep topic flow going and I'll leave it at that. I get the passion they may have had to keep the site going but it didn't really sit well with me. Although it has more to do with the state of the forum rather than being completely dismayed with them. Overall, I feel it's not worth spending the time and energy here anymore. 

99% certain this is referring to me. I’ll respond in a status update as responding here would most likely get me accused of trying to make things about me.

1 hour ago, Ohayotaku said:

99% certain this is referring to me. I’ll respond in a status update as responding here would most likely get me accused of trying to make things about me.

It's not, why would you think that.  I don't even think this person comes here anymore. 

Apologies. I suppose this is why I’ve never understood the whole “they know who  they are/what they did” approach. Even if intended as a way to be tactful or “take the high road” all it seems to do is create confusion & suspicion. It’s also largely why I’ve stayed silent on the topic. I’m actually glad we’re finally learning the details & names of those involved even if they aren’t active here anymore  

On 10/10/2022 at 8:00 AM, Hällregn said:

I was enjoying the site until a fellow member started reposting my art and a few lines of poetry I had written onto their Tumblr.

You and about every other person on this site.  I raised the issue (sure, let's start naming names) with Seshi no fewer than 15 times.  That's not an exaggeration, I still have the logs.  15 times.  I warned that members content was being stolen, that AF was being copied verbatim.  I also told Optic at least three times.  You know what they did about it? Nothing.  Not a damn thing.  Every single one of you had a valid claim to DMCA, and the site admins that ran this site and continue to run this site did fuck all to tell you that your content was being stolen even though they knew.

After some digging, I remember you.  You wrote quite a bit, and I know your content was in that breech too.

Myouya, the one mod that's left here, and the one that's been keeping this site run pretty much for the last year - you deserve better than this, friend.  You also deserve better than the absolute clusterfuck that the previous staff tossed around - and it was allowed.

The rest of you here deserve better too, but these admins haven't cared - ever.  As it was mentioned - if I could have had this post sitting in the open for as long as it was, it shows how little they care.  The enablers of this behavior are a disgrace.

The History Kid#2423 - if anyone needs.  Lord knows I'm not wasting another minute with this disaster.

• Friendly 2

To answer everyones question, im alive and well, just working really really hard (72hours duty gang, lets gooooo)

But im not here to make excuses and whatnot

I somewhat abandoned my moderator duties in this website

Why, you ask ?

It just isnt as fun, like it was back then, the mod team kept trying to keep the website alive, but alas, it was barely working, i even opened up some questions regarding the sharing of youtube links before, but no one, not even the bigman of the website gave me a clear answer, i was left with my own judgement on who to allow and who not to allow on posts with youtube link

On 9/21/2021 at 12:39 PM, What the Fuck. said:

P.S. I also saw the massively transphobic discussion on the staff forum and I just cannot in good conscience be a part of that.

I apologize if it may have sounded as if im being transphobic, i merely stated the things i was thought of, during classes, i dont mean to harm any trans out there, i merely stated what i had thought in my mind

Does that make me a bad person though ? Maybe, to some people

but hey, i dont really care what people think of me, ill always be that guy that supports other people, be they transgender, be they gays, be they males, be they females, be they whatever (just not aliens!, just kidding wahahah)

But yea, this website is dead, i had some good memories in it, but it will stay as good memories

If you know my discord, dont be shy, and holla at me, odds are i wont really dm back, couse i rarely discord, but hey, its worth a shot

4 hours ago, Ohayotaku said:

Apologies. I suppose this is why I’ve never understood the whole “they know who  they are/what they did” approach. Even if intended as a way to be tactful or “take the high road” all it seems to do is create confusion & suspicion. It’s also largely why I’ve stayed silent on the topic. I’m actually glad we’re finally learning the details & names of those involved even if they aren’t active here anymore  

This is true, I suppose I feel a great deal of mixed feelings about our last exchanges. Largely guilt for being a coward and not wanting to get involved. I could have reached out more but was too busy feeling unsure and easily fooled. Just more bad memories where there probably shouldn't have been. I'm not sure I could ever trust her again but if they come around I'd want them to know that I failed them as a friend. I can't, nor do I wish to reconnect and I'm sure time will change a lot of feelings. I just don't wish to spend that time here anymore, waiting and mulling. Mistakes were made/are still being made. Done at this point and I deserve the shame as I go because I took part in it. Which is okay in some ways because I learned that I needed to work on myself. 

Best wishes and thanks for always having been there. Many blessings to you. 

• 2 weeks later...

As someone who's probably been here one of the longest and was here during all my teenage years it truly shocks me how little I knew of the drama and issues of AF, I always knew there was problems but never to levels of content being stolen or transphobic discussion in the mod forums, I've always tried to stick around as much as possible and even went for a position of mod a few times but just got ignored every time it was mentioned (most authority I had here was back when we used to have to manually update the anime logs, good old "anime team" and admin on the old Discord server before staff members here axed it) But it's honestly crazy. It makes it a lot more clearer why so many of the old staff just randomly left or many of the people who were here from the start just abandoned the place. I think it's just a hopeless dream that one day this place will be as active and well moderated but Idk, it really did start going downhill fast with the selection of certain staff members that I wont get into here. I really do respect you all though that have tried so hard to keep this place alive.   

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly 1

• 3 months later...
  • Optic locked this topic
  • Optic unpinned this topic