Old Age,anime and paedophilia..

Shiv

When/if we reach our 70s...assuming we'd still be watching anime..if we still find high school anime girls attractive...would that be considered paedophilia?..even if they're not real..what would that say about our mentality?

16 minutes ago, Shiv said:

When/if we reach our 70s...assuming we'd still be watching anime..if we still find high school anime girls attractive...would that be considered paedophilia?

i for one, dont think its pedophilia, so long as you dont actually touch a real life, inexperienced, girl, it <shouldn't> be considered pedophilia

but i think majority of people would say otherwise, its creepy to see an old guy simping over a 15y/o

19 minutes ago, Shiv said:

even if they're not real..what would that say about our mentality?

still liking anime in 70's...shouldn't really say much, for one, your 70, you're gonna be kicking the bucket soon, so who cares

its a hobby you like, if it doesn't hurt anyone, it shouldn't matter

im saying, physically hurt, im not talking about "creeped out" hurt, or something, those are called haters

though, to be 70y/o, and still be watching anime, you must have allot of knowledge on past animu then >.>

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, XII360 said:

i for one, dont think its pedophilia, so long as you dont actually touch a real life, inexperienced, girl, it <shouldn't> be considered pedophilia

but i think majority of people would say otherwise, its creepy to see an old guy simping over a 15y/o

still liking anime in 70's...shouldn't really say much, for one, your 70, you're gonna be kicking the bucket soon, so who cares

its a hobby you like, if it doesn't hurt anyone, it shouldn't matter

im saying, physically hurt, im not talking about "creeped out" hurt, or something, those are called haters

though, to be 70y/o, and still be watching anime, you must have allot of knowledge on past animu then >.>

You make a good point moderator-san...no one cares what you do at 70..although it's the matter of convincing yourself that you're not a pedo....(ofcourse I'm not gonna touch girls at 70..c'mon!..no one's worthy of my touch except anime girls..jk😅)(damn..that sounded less creepy in my head)..also being a 70 y/o weeb would be so cool..a veteran in the truest sense of the word..😄

Edited by Shiv
  • Cool (Kakkoii) 1

1 hour ago, wikkidgrace said:

Hoo boy that's a big yikes from me. 

But anyway, I don't think this question is framed right. It's indirectly implying that finding underaged children attractive at the age of 70 is any more unacceptable than at say, 35. 

However, anime characters who are under the age of consent are where we should collectively draw a line. I can't agree with it not hurting anyone just because it isn't real- providing fodder and content which directly appeals to individuals who actively seek it out only serves to validate and embolden them.

My opinion is that we shouldn't tolerate any form of media which paints children in a sexual or provacative situation, including anime. With all the unified "ree-ing" toward the Netflix film Cuties being a catalyst for recent conversation on the subject, I expect some takeaway should be "Let's not open Pandora's Box."

I did actually want to lower the age down to late 20s and early 30s..but I thought increasing it would increase its impact as a question..but now that I think about it..the effect's rather opposite,as much of what old people do is disregarded as "old people things"..as long as it isn't harming anyone ofcourse..but yeah,as you said, this one shouldn't be allowed to slide just because it isn't real...I added the "even if it isn't real" part, so that the people won't try to satisfy themselves by that logic... although I do agree that it being real or virtual makes a big difference as far as how it impacts the people around you...because sometimes you can't do anything about the thoughts that cross your mind except suppress them or find an alternate means of catharsis(although the former has the moral superiority imo)(also..the latter could have the opposite effect and could lead to the encouragement of paedophilia,as you said)... although I'd also like to think, age and experience provide some degree of control over our thoughts (do they,grace-san?)..soo..I think in that regard, it being real or not does make a difference...but at the end of the day, it's about whether you're able to live with yourself or not...cause a dirty mind and a good conscience is a toxic combination of traits in any human being..you could bullshit anyone but yourself...finding something attractive...is not really upto you..and that..as creepy as it sounds..applies for paedophilia as well...and it being "anime paedophilia"doesn't make it any better as far as morality goes..and deep down people know it..and that is the reason i imagine it would be hard to live with yourself if you'd still have those thoughts..but hey what do I know..I'm still a kid.. relatively..

1 hour ago, wikkidgrace said:

Teen anime characters are often oversexualised and that's just one of the many characteristics of anime as a whole that set it apart from Western media. This is in part thanks to Japanese culture and age of consent, which, when put into context, makes it a little more bareable. At that point it falls on you and where your own boundaries lie.

I agree...though I didn't know they had the age of consent down to 13 there..damn...but yeah, that is part of the appeal of anime.. atleast for guys like me..(does that make me a perv?..tho I'm still at that age where you could let it slide)..keeping the pedo thing aside for a moment.......is age gonna restrict the ways in which I enjoy anime?...could I still enjoy a high school romance for the sweet and pure aspect of it?..you know...one of the ways I enjoy romance animes is that I imagine myself in a situation similiar to that of the MC's(i know..im a loser)...would I still be able to do that at 35?

I see a lot and I do mean a lot of adults having the hots for characters like Deku (My Hero Academia) who are obviously under age. It obviously doesn't bother me but then again maybe it's because it's from an entirely different country and their laws are quite a bit different from my own (USA)? I don't know. I don't watch a lot of newer anime that consist of a lot of high school age characters. I do still rewatch a lot of the older ones and I still am crazy about certain characters which doesn't bother me at all simply because I know if they were real they would be my age now or older, lol (like Shikamaru from Naruto). 

But like I said it doesn't bother me. What would bother me is someone seeing them hot or wanting to bang them because the character simply is under age. That right there for me would draw the line...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EnviousEnvy said:

I see a lot and I do mean a lot of adults having the hots for characters like Deku (My Hero Academia) who are obviously under age. It obviously doesn't bother me but then again maybe it's because it's from an entirely different country and their laws are quite a bit different from my own (USA)? I don't know. I don't watch a lot of newer anime that consist of a lot of high school age characters. I do still rewatch a lot of the older ones and I still am crazy about certain characters which doesn't bother me at all simply because I know if they were real they would be my age now or older, lol (like Shikamaru from Naruto). 

But like I said it doesn't bother me. What would bother me is someone seeing them hot or wanting to bang them because the character simply is under age. That right there for me would draw the line...

Hm...I guess it all comes down to the individual's conscience..

• Like 1

@Shiv Most likely. I mean I wouldn't go announcing it out in the real world saying you like high school anime girls. Most non-anime people would probably be weirded out and treat you like you were a pedo, lol. 

I personally try to see it from other people's views especially if they are from another country. Also the USA allows 15 year olds to be married to those 18 or older as long as they had written consent from their parents (two of my best friends were both married at 15 and their spouses were 20). So honestly the entirety of age of consent confuses me, lol. Like it's illegal for someone 18 or older to sleep with a 14, 15, 16 year old unless they are married or you can legally date them but can't have physical intercourse with them. It's starting to feel like it's subjective nowadays.

3 minutes ago, EnviousEnvy said:

@Shiv Most likely. I mean I wouldn't go announcing it out in the real world saying you like high school anime girls. Most non-anime people would probably be weirded out and treat you like you were a pedo, lol. 

I personally try to see it from other people's views especially if they are from another country. Also the USA allows 15 year olds to be married to those 18 or older as long as they had written consent from their parents (two of my best friends were both married at 15 and their spouses were 20). So honestly the entirety of age of consent confuses me, lol. Like it's illegal for someone 18 or older to sleep with a 14, 15, 16 year old unless they are married or you can legally date them but can't have physical intercourse with them. It's starting to feel like it's subjective nowadays.

Oh..I didn't know they allowed 14 year olds to marry in the states...I mean...laws are made by the people I guess...if the people are okay with it..then I guess so are the laws...the day they've had enough..there'll be protests and the laws will be gone..(there's really no civil way to get rid of laws nowadays..😅)..but yeah..coming back to anime...I guess if you can live with it...and it's not harming anyone..go for it.. but don't blame others when they don't approve of ya..but if their approval is what you seek..then really there's right way to live at this point..😂

And I really am not trying to defend perverts and paedophiles here but..I guess sometimes you just can't stop those thoughts from crossing your mind..I mean...if someone's got hots for kids then..it is what is..I mean sure..it means there something wrong with them..but at that point their character depends on what they do with those thoughts...the moral course would be to suppress them..even if it's about anime...it won't be easy tho..it would be easy on their conscience..hard on their mind..then there's the easy way out..finding others just as sick as them..approving of the immoral things..and then make a freakin'  law for it..like the marriage thing you mentioned...after which..the immoral things won't technically be immoral at that point..😅

@Shiv Right. Also you have to realize that being in high school doesn't necessarily determine the age of the character unless the author or creators reveal that character's age in some way (I was 18 when I was a Jr. in high school). So sexualized characters could very well be legal age. I think, and now this just my personal opinion creators or authors that do this might want viewers to see them as they want to (if you're over the age you might want to see them as legal age of consent or if you are a minor you might want to see them as under the age as well). 

Also when the anime comes to America the people who do the translations, etc could also change it to where the character is 18. I doubt they are gonna bring over highly sexualized anime over to the U.S.A. that contains underage kiddies. They are gonna at least portray them as older than what they may be in Japan. I hope this helps. This is the upside of anime or just about any fictional character. You can make them any age you want.

3 minutes ago, EnviousEnvy said:

@Shiv Right. Also you have to realize that being in high school doesn't necessarily determine the age of the character unless the author or creators reveal that character's age in some way (I was 18 when I was a Jr. in high school). So sexualized characters could very well be legal age. I think, and now this just my personal opinion creators or authors that do this might want viewers to see them as they want to (if you're over the age you might want to see them as legal age of consent or if you are a minor you might want to see them as under the age as well). 

Also when the anime comes to America the people who do the translations, etc could also change it to where the character is 18. I doubt they are gonna bring over highly sexualized anime over to the U.S.A. that contains underage kiddies. They are gonna at least portray them as older than what they may be in Japan. I hope this helps. This is the upside of anime or just about any fictional character. You can make them any age you want.

Yeah man..ambiguity would be nice...still tho..the thought of liking anime girls at the age of 70 terrifies me..it seems so dark, you could make a black mirror episode out of it..😅...I hope I'm a little less of a pervert at 70 than I am today...cause I really don't wanna give up anime ever..

• Like 1

@Shiv I doubt you will have to give up anime. You might just grow out of being perverted who knows? I probably will be the biggest pervert in the entire nursing home and I'm female, lol. My grandma is 80 and still talks about when she used to be young and wild. She likes to tell me how I'm lucky, lol. And she doesn't seem like the little old lady to talk like that but she surprises you, lmao. 

I honestly wouldn't worry about it but if it really does bother you when you are at that age or close to it then don't be afraid to talk about it especially with a professional. A lot of old people are still perverts to this day, most just keep it to themselves or to others around their age, lol. 

2 minutes ago, EnviousEnvy said:

@Shiv I doubt you will have to give up anime. You might just grow out of being perverted who knows? I probably will be the biggest pervert in the entire nursing home and I'm female, lol. My grandma is 80 and still talks about when she used to be young and wild. She likes to tell me how I'm lucky, lol. And she doesn't seem like the little old lady to talk like that but she surprises you, lmao. 

I honestly wouldn't worry about it but if it really does bother you when you are at that age or close to it then don't be afraid to talk about it especially with a professional. A lot of old people are still perverts to this day, most just keep it to themselves or to others around their age, lol. 

Oh man..those grandmas and grandpas😂..i've only ever seen people like them on TV...I'd love to have a person like that around the house..I come from a society where the older generation tends to be rather prudish..😅...and don't worry.. there's something about females being perverts that's rather arousing..atleast to me(that makes me sound like a creep)..for men, it's just outright creepy..😂

And It's gonna be a while till I turn 70..I'm still 18..😅..so I don't think I should be worryin' about this either...it's just..I've got off to some fucked up shit..it's one of the reasons I am not gonna marry anyone..no poor woman should be put up to deal with a fucked up individual like me..😅...but anyway..and it's not just at 70..like a lady who replied to this post previously said..even late 20s and early 30s would be just as bad to be like that...so yeah..that's why it worries me..(yeah..I got too much time on my hands..😅)..

• 5 weeks later...

well... at 70 years old, pretty soon well die and be on our way to heaven to see our waifu lol. Just remember the time when we were in our teens, nothing wrong with liking anime girls at that point. Just keep the same thoughts and we should be fine. haha