Anyone get mad when people call anime cartoons?

noah

No, not really because they are cartoons. It's our word for an animated program. Anime is a borrowed word. Anime is short for Animation. Anything animated = anime by Japan's definition. Back in the 90s, in the US anyway, it was mostly referred to as "Japanimation" or "Japanime" as a way to say that said program was Japanese animated.

Here in Japan, if you go to a video store (yes, they are still prominent here) or anyplace with a video section and go to the "anime" section, you'll find not only Japanese anime programs, but Tom & Jerry, junk from Disney, etc.

The only reason I think people use the term "anime" now-a-days is to differentiate it from something that wasn't animated in Japan.

• Like 2

no, not really.

Im guessing some people are mad when they said anime is cartoon, its because cartoon is for kids and they dont want to be called kids? did I hit bullseye?

well if thats the reason, I have no reason at all to be angry because I dont really care what people think about me xD.

• Agree 2

no, not really.

Im guessing some people are mad when they said anime is cartoon, is because cartoon is for kids and they dont want to be called kids? did I hit bullseye?

well if thats the reason, I have no reason at all to be angry because I dont really care what people think about me xD.

ok

Not as much as it used to. Like ssJup said, anything animated is an anime in Japan. Just like any comic is a manga in Japan.

I think what's more annoying to me is vice versa. Like when people refer to western animations like Legend of Korra as 'Anime' because it's heavily influenced by 'Japanese Animation'. There are several animes out their influenced by Western animations like Panty and Stocking, but that doesn't make them Western. But that's for a different thread.

Not as much as it used to. Like ssJup said, anything animated is an anime in Japan. Just like any comic is a manga in Japan.

I think what's more annoying to me is vice versa. Like when people refer to western animations like Legend of Korra as 'Anime' because it's heavily influenced by 'Japanese Animation'. There are several animes out their influenced by Western animations like Panty and Stocking, but that doesn't make them Western. But that's for a different thread.

thats more what i ment, thanks

No, I don't get mad about something so trivial, they're the same thing more or less... although anime sounds better. What I find annoying is when people refer to anime as 'CHINESE cartoons'. I had this classmate who always did that on purpose (cause I had told her 1.693 times it's freakin' japanese) and she was like:"...that chinese bull***t you're watching..." (I wanted to punch her in the face :3 )

No, I don't get mad about something so trivial, they're the same thing more or less... although anime sounds better. What I find annoying is when people refer to anime as 'CHINESE cartoons'. I had this classmate who always did that on purpose (cause I had told her 1.693 times it's freakin' japanese) and she was like:"...that chinese bull***t you're watching..." (I wanted to punch her in the face :3 )

please hold back, I feel bad for her even though I dont know her.

btw is that exact number xD?

no, ofc it's not the exact number... why would I talk with a rich snob that much? :P

hahaha, should have expect that.

I thought you are one of those people who count every single thing he/she did, those kind of people are really fun xD.

I don't get mad, but I educate them that it's a different style of cartoon. To give you an example there's this cartoon called The Boondocks that used to be on Adult Swim, and it still does re-runs. This show's creator Aaron Mcgruder implemented some manga into his comic strips, which brought out the anime within the show. That's why I liked watching the show. Some of my friends couldn't believe they were watching anime even though they called it cartoon. So to make my answer short. I usually share my opinions on the matter, then recommend the person to watch an episode of an anime show.

Technically anime is a cartoon its not gonna make you less enjoy an anime because it's a cartoon and there is no point whining over it with us it will just cause trouble i think it would be better not to start an argument and by the way this is my opinion not a fact but my opinion it has the same value as everyone else's. anyways i don't see anime as a cartoon but i see it as a medium which is enjoyable and just someone calling it a cartoon should have an effect on you but if they are referring to them as western cartoons just tell them they are actually eastern and from japan they might get interested and want to know more about anime but if you start getting offended by it i don't think you will have many friends some times you have to accept its thats persons opinion not fact but their opinions equally valuable to yours doesn't make it fact (unless you state a fact) i mean to be honest talk to people with an open mind or you will find a reduction of friends unless those people are like you then you wont meet people who are really interesting and there is no point on casing meaningless arguments we are all otakus and those who aren't its their choice i don't loath them for it accept its their personal preference see my point.

• 5 weeks later...

I actually don't care. Isn't anime and cartoon both animated? And even if it's a cartoon what difference does it make anyway? Anime will remain as an anime. Even if someone would call it a cartoon. I don't see anything offensive about it.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Why is the image of cartoons so stigmatized anyways?

Aside from the discussion of wherever anime are cartoons by definition or not, am I the only one who finds it hypocritical when anime fan claim that western cartoons are bad because it's "not mature"? (aside from the oblivious fact that enjoyment is subjective and adults can enjoy kids cartoons)

The reason why people say "oh, anime is cartoon" is usually because the mindset of "Anime is synonymous with cartoons"(which is true, by the way), and the cartoon I watched as a kid are for children and don't tackle mature themes, hence it's for children.

I assume that you don't like anime being called cartoon for the same reason, "cartoons is synonymous with children enjoyment".

Cartoon can have an appeal for adults and children, same with anime. Claiming one isn't for adults, and one is "more" mature is ridiculous. You see how both from each party is ignorant on the subject?

It's even more hypocritical if you think that the masses don't like anime because "If they would only give anime a try and see how mature it could be."

It just really pisses me off when the whole circle jerk of "Don't you hate it when people call anime cartoons?" being completely oblivious of everything that cartoons are capable of and praising anime as this superior form of enjoyment or something.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

The fastest way to become disappointed in someone is to have expectations of them. Anger comes from expecting the other person(s) to be like you, think like you, hold the same perspectives. Good thing that isn't how the world really is, because without our differences, we wouldn't learn a damn thing.

• Like 1

Well I feel anime is the correct term because after all, both retail shops and online shops have separate categories for anime and cartoons. Sanity and JB-Hi Fi in my area for example categorise western cartoons like South Park and Family Guy under Animated. For anime titles they put them under, well... Anime.

Amazon does the same too on their listings. And it makes sense to do so, because there some anime titles can be quite violent, or lewd with ecchi covers. Clumping the two categories together would seem odd.

So to answer the question, no it wouldn't make me mad but I would correct the person based on the above.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Well I feel anime is the correct term because after all, both retail shops and online shops have separate categories for anime and cartoons. Sanity and JB-Hi Fi in my area for example categorise western cartoons like South Park and Family Guy under Animated. For anime titles they put them under, well... Anime.

Amazon does the same too on their listings. And it makes sense to do so, because there some anime titles can be quite violent, or lewd with ecchi covers. Clumping the two categories together would seem odd.

So to answer the question, no it wouldn't make me mad but I would correct the person based on the above.

In Japan, all animation is categorized under "アニメ" in stores regardless if it's from Japan or the US or Canada or the UK, etc.

I mentioned it in my first post in this thread too.

Edited by Guest

Heck, even I may have called them "cartoons" myself when I was much younger before I started getting into anime :P
But anime is cartoon. Cartoon is just the English word for an animated program. Anime is the Japanese borrowed, abbreviated English word for it.

To me there really is no difference, cept for where it was made.

Edited by Guest

My guess is that this happens mostly for the convenience of customers. At the store were I buy manga, manga and comics are under the category 'comics' but they have separate shelves for the two (imagine if you wanted to buy manga but had to search through an enless pile of all kinds of comics, both american and japanese...). That's because the fanbases are different and don't fit together (I only know like 2 people who read both manga and comics). Since customers have decided that comics and manga are two different things, it's only natural stores will follow. Therefore, I believe the separate categories that stores provide, are a result of the attitude of fans towards them. Honestly, I don't think the staff who organises manga and comics care which is which. They'd much rather throw in everything together, if you ask me. The only reason they keep them separated is because that's what the public wants.

• 1 month later...
  • Geano locked this topic