Anyone get mad when people call anime cartoons?

noah

For someone whose been to Japan, our famous anime cartoon, Transformers is called an anime there. TBH anything animated that airs in Japan gets labeled as anime.

There's really no reason to be mad when someone labels "anime" a "cartoon". I mean if you ever go to Anime Convention and you see people dressing up as Teen Titans, Powerpuff girls or other cartoon show, are you instantly going to be mad at them and say "This is an anime convention, why are you dressing up as a cartoon character?"

I think that semantics are somewhat important in this case. While "anime" is a Japanese word meaning "animation," I think that it's best not to refer to anime as cartoons because anime has distinct features (as well as in-depth plots) that are not present in cartoons from other cultures. Imagine Spongebob being considered an anime from the United States. xD

I think that semantics are somewhat important in this case. While "anime" is a Japanese word meaning "animation," I think that it's best not to refer to anime as cartoons because anime has distinct features (as well as in-depth plots) that are not present in cartoons from other cultures. Imagine Spongebob being considered an anime from the United States. xD
Here in Japan it would be classified as "anime".

Funny thing you use Spongebob because I remember Spongebob being popular in Japan. Its considered an anime in Japan.

The problem is that people gets mad over such things. Yes, you wouldn't call Spongebob an anime in NA, but not everyone knows what Anime is. Being called a Cartoon isn't looking down at anime, its a term being used to say its an animated show, the term Cartoon has been used in NA or any other country long before "anime" as the right term was used here.

Old shows like Voltes V, Slam Dunk, Case Closed all used to be called cartoon in the Philippines

Popular network in Canada like CN, YTV and Teletoon used to called their anime Cartoon that they air like Inuyasha, Yugioh, Pokemon FMA. I remember Ah my Goddess being part of CN's Saturday morning Cartoon way back from before.

People who tries to use "meme" and those "meme pictures" to show the difference between cartoon and anime, really don't understand that its just used for a namesake because that what was people known them as. Its funny seeing anime fans get mad at older people calling their "anime" cartoon and saying they don't know anything. My parents who used to watch Voltes V, NGE, Bubblegum Crisis and other really old anime, used to call them Cartoons because that what they were called when they used to air them.

Edited by Guest

Back in the mid-90s, Cartoon Network called it Japanimation and Japanime.

Wasn't that just a term? Most anime was still slotted in depending on type of anime they manage to acquire. Unless memory failed me, CN never had a "block" that had japanimation or japanime as a name

Edited by Guest

Wasn't that just a term? Most anime was still slotted in depending on type of anime they manage to acquire. Unless memory failed me, CN never had a "block" that had japanimation or japanime as a name
"Saturday Japanime" was the block's name, but it aired late on Saturday nights.

• 5 months later...
Yea, gets on my nerves. They are ANIME, not CARTOONS. ugg.
Here in Japan, anything animated = anime since anime is the abbreviated word for animation.

I'm still of the stance that anime is literally a description for "cartoons made in Japan."

And look at the above post. So unfortunately, like it or not, in Japan, stuff like Sausage Party of all things can be called "anime" and nobody would bat an eye.

Well, like I mentioned before, if you go to a video store, and you go to the アニメ section you'll see non-Japanese series there. I guess Sausage Party would be there.

• Geano locked this topic