how old are you guys ?

realage

hello everyone. i was wondering how old are you and when did you start anime ? and how many years has it been now ? what made you start it in the first place ? 

me first :D im 24 and and started at my 20 with a friend suggesting me Naruto

• Like 1

56 here.  I think I actually got started just watching saturday morning cartoons.  I watched stuff like Mazinger Z, aka "Tranzor Z" here in the US, back in the 70s without really realizing it was "anime".  Those were my middle-school days and I'd kind of grown out of cartoons by the time I got to HS in the early 80s, but by then I'd seen "Speed Racer" (Mach GoGoGo) and "Star Blazers" (Space Battleship Yamato) and movies like Nausicaä.

That might have been the end of it but as it turned out one of my classmates in HS started doing some voice acting that kind of got me started again.  She was in the lunch crowd I occasionally hung out with and we all kind of got in the habit of watching anything she'd been involved with.  By then I knew what anime was of course and even after school when we all went our separate ways I continued to follow and be interested in anime.  It was kind of hard to get "real" anime at times pre-'Net but I've been lucky enough to live in west-coast metro areas like Los Angeles where it wasn't impossible to find the occasional niche store.  I was always into the science-fiction-y stuff and a lot of anime tickled that part of my brain so I've maintained the interest since then.  I've also been into computers since before MSFT and AAPL were listed and there were BBSs that carried anime forums even back in 300-baud modem days so that was another source.  (Anyone remember fidonet?  GEnie?  Compuserve?  Probably not.)  Of course after the Internet came along it got a lot easier to maintain an anime habit, especially once PCs were powerful enough and broadband available enough to make things like streaming and downloading realistic options. 

• Cool (Kakkoii) 1

26 minutes ago, EnviousEnvy said:

Omg some of you guys surprised me with your ages. Makes me feel like a child again, lmao.

Pretty sure me & @efaardvark are the outliers around here :P 

I think the first anime I watched on VHS as opposed to syndicated tv was either some episodes of Ranma 1/2 or Project A-ko. First subtitled anime were some eps of Slayers. First series I watched subtitled start to finish was Cardcaptor Sakura.

4 hours ago, EnviousEnvy said:

Omg some of you guys surprised me with your ages. Makes me feel like a child again, lmao.

I'm currently 28 and started watching anime when I was around 5 or 6 (with Pokemon and Digimon of course, lol). My first actual adult anime was Ghost In The Shell and Wolf's Rain and I think I was 11 or 12. 

“Anime” is like “books”.  There is no typical age.  Over the years the biggest determinant as to how much anime I’ve watched hasn’t been my age so much as how busy I’ve been with everything else in my life.  Recreational activities like books, games, or anime has to get a lower priority than things like job and family commitments.  The only thing that has changed over the years is the type of anime I watch, books I read, or games I play when/if I get the chance, not the desire to watch/read/play them itself.

I'm old enough that I like to call my sister Old Lady Shaffer (I call myself old lady too and I'm two years her junior!). Started long ago....hard to remember the first. I had to get up on Saturday mornings at 6ish to watch it. We didn't have any good channels on my parents cable tv back then. My oldest anime I've collected is definitely Matsumoto works from the 70s. Real classics.

• Funny 1

• 4 months later...
On 11/1/2020 at 6:06 PM, realage said:

hello everyone. i was wondering how old are you and when did you start anime ? and how many years has it been now ? what made you start it in the first place ? 

me first :D im 24 and and started at my 20 with a friend suggesting me Naruto

Im 32..........i started on Pokémon in the 90's (Pokémon Red on Gameboy for the win), I think in the UK it was on SMTV live? cant quite remember. Then didnt watch any anime for a while until I happed to sit and watch Tales of Earthsea when I was a teenager, really randomly maybe on tv or something and from there I have been watching it since. Just prefer it to alot of other media forms.

32 here. I'm just old enough to remember series on vhs and bootlegs. The older kids in the neighborhood loved anime and gaming so I got sucked in early. Once I got a decent pc in the late 90's I got really hooked and started reading manga as well.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

16, I started watching Anime when I was 5 with Cowboy Bebop. I would watch it with my father in the mornings before going to school, and now i've recently gotten back into it. 

I'm 27 but I started heavily watching anime when I was 10. I had to make the distinction because I saw Doraemon etc. much younger but  only because they were airing on TV. I wasn't actively watching.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Animedragon said:

At 69 I'm probably more of an Animedinosaur than an Animedragon. 🙂

I discovered anime in 1996 while flicking through the TV channels looking for something interesting to watch, then found some anime on VHS in a local shop.

The rest, as they say, is history.

Encouraging to hear, as at this stage “outgrowing” anime doesn’t seem likely for me :P 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Animedragon said:

At 69

Yay!   Er, sorry..  maybe that didn't come out quite right.  It is just that at 57 I thought I was the oldest around here.  :) 

• Funny 2

9 hours ago, Ohayotaku said:

Encouraging to hear, as at this stage “outgrowing” anime doesn’t seem likely for me :P 

I don't think I'll outgrow anime. I watch anime every day, usually while having my lunch and dinner as there's nothing I want to watch on TV at mealtimes. The big plus being that when watching a DVD the programme starts when I've got the meal ready and there's no advert breaks!

6 hours ago, efaardvark said:

Yay!   Er, sorry..  maybe that didn't come out quite right.  It is just that at 57 I thought I was the oldest around here.  :) 

Apiology accepted 🙂.

I wonder if that makes me the oldest person on here?

Are there any other claimants for the (dubious) title?

• Like 2

On 11/4/2020 at 3:53 AM, Ohayotaku said:

Pretty sure me & @efaardvark are the outliers around here :P 

I think the first anime I watched on VHS as opposed to syndicated tv was either some episodes of Ranma 1/2 or Project A-ko. First subtitled anime were some eps of Slayers. First series I watched subtitled start to finish was Cardcaptor Sakura.

yeh im also in the same age bracket of you two and been here on the forums a very long time too thats why my occupation states oldtaku in my profile

3 hours ago, Animedragon said:

I don't think I'll outgrow anime. I watch anime every day, usually while having my lunch and dinner as there's nothing I want to watch on TV at mealtimes. The big plus being that when watching a DVD the programme starts when I've got the meal ready and there's no advert breaks!

Apiology accepted 🙂.

I wonder if that makes me the oldest person on here?

Are there any other claimants for the (dubious) title?

id say so and not from me you can have it 😆

• Like 1
  • Wow 1